All reviews rooftop bar united artists medium room la chapter exposed concrete stumptown coffee hipster hotel loft room cool hotel restaurant downstairs body wash mini bar room service the ground floor grand central market shower curtain valet parking
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Ace is a super hipster hotel with a great vibe and set up. The rooftop bar and pool is very cool but also laid back. The location is great if you are doing business at the convention center or catching a game or show at the Staples Center. My room was great and had everything I needed. The room has an industrial but classy feel to it. Again, Ace has a very different vibe so don't expect the front office staff or bellman to be wearing uniforms. However, the service is excellent and the staff was very attentive. The property also has a very good gym, a bit small, but very good equipment.

My only future request would be for the espresso/coffee bar to open at 6am, instead of 7am. For the business traveler, and anyone traveling from the east coast, they day starts (including coffee) prior to 7am.

All in all, great hotel, especially if you prefer something unique and different. I would recommend either for a romantic getaway or hooking up with a group of friends for the weekend. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Scott M
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Scott- great notes - thank you! I'll speak with our Food & Beverage Director about your comments on the coffee shop - really good point, especially when there's a conference in town. Great idea!

Jason
Jason.deibler@acehotel.com

Reviewed 30 June 2014

A lot of hotel refurbs just fail by being too trendy for their own good. Ace does not. It just got done, yet it feels lived-in. Every time you see something too trendy that makes you wince, you see something that offsets it - so you smile. Nothing is too serious. The staff is not stuck up and entitled, just nice and genuine. You would almost want them as friends. To top it off the building is just amazing. The rooms are smallish but well put together with tons of storage and cool amenities like a record player and web radio. Awesome REASONABLY price mini bar with lots of cool stuff like retro candy and great drinks (LEARN OTHER HOTELS - you do not need to charge $10 for a bottle of water!). Open bathroom (not a fan of concept) but well put together with push dispensers for shampoo and body wash - thank you I do not need small plastic bottles! Roof bar is worth the trip. Best drinks. Great bartenders. Place was packed and even with a drink in my hand was asked 3 times if I needed a drink. No attitude, super nice. Gave a big tip. Pool? Not really a pool.. More like a basin, but who cares the view is nice. This hotel does not have the hipster feel to it - IT COULD, but it does not - it has more of a timeless cool feeling - where no one would feel out of place. Place really feels like it has a soul to it.

Room Tip: BAD BEDS! Why? did you guys cheap out on the beds. The wood frame with no support that creaks every time you move is annoying and uncomfortable. And the housekeeping service that comes at 8:15AM every morning? Even for someone working that is either while you are in the shower or getting ready.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thanks so much for your review! We love to hear that our staff are solid, real people, and not trying to be something they're not. We really want our guests to feel at home. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your bed - the frame was designed by Commune and the mattresses are from Suite Sleep - I'll definitely have our team check for creaks and noise that shouldn't be there! We hope to have you back again!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked a block of rooms for our wedding. We were going to be taking pictures in our room so we let them know we were getting married and asked in advance for a high floor. The room we were given was dark and on a low floor. There was an upgrade room available... which we could have for another $400 a night. Alas out of our price range and, really, why should we have to pay just to get something close to what we asked for? Wanted very much to like this place but very disappointed at the customer service and attention to detail.

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Imaginability
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

Really sorry we weren't able to get you the room you requested - we hope you'll give us another chance to make it better!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed in the Ace for 8 nights last month while attending a convention at the LACC. Lots of pros and cons to this hotel, all listed below, but the net/net is that this hotel is a scene and unless you are a 20-something hipster looking to over-spend on a small room to be a part of that scene, this probably isn't the place for you.

The Pros:
- Great room service: yummy food from the restaurant downstairs, good selection and very reasonably priced (i.e. they won't gouge you)
- Building has character and an interesting history
- Staff, especially at the coffee counter and door, are exceptionally pleasant
- Rooftop bar is nice....but definitely a scene and not a place anyone can drop into and feel comfortable...not by a long shot
- Wifi is free and fast enough to watch Netflix

The Cons:
- Queen rooms are laughably tiny and VERY claustrophobic with tiny windows looking into a light well. I walked into mine, immediately felt like I'd been incarcerated for a terrible crime, and went to the front desk for a swap. Thankfully my reservation was clearly for a king so they had no choice but to honor and change
- King room was slightly better in that it had to be large enough to fit a king bed and the windows looked out on the street, but still VERY small, especially if you have a long stay and need more than an Ikea-sized wardrobe closet (there are no actual closets - the former closets are now the toilet/shower)
- Very cold/sterile - if a wool horse blanket on the bed and exposed cement walls/floor/ceiling and a cave-like black painted 1/2 bath is your thing you may enjoy...otherwise not so much
- Tiny rooms = bad feng shui. My bed was wedged between the desk (behind my head) and the windows (at my feet) - a tall person literally would have to sleep diagonally. Also, the TV is parallel, not perpendicular, to the bed so there is no place to comfortably watch
- No hand lotion. Cheapskates.
- Hand soap is this little tile thing that is supposed to hang off the mirror, but when you do causes a gross puddle over the course of the week. No towel hook other than IN the shower
-VERY STUFFY. I left my windows open the entire stay - 8 nights - and still was grossed out every time I walked in
- If you are facing the street, be prepared to be woken up EVERY SINGLE NIGHT between 2 and 3am - sirens, swearing, calls for security, etc when the bar upstairs and restaurant below empty out. It is LOUD and they do nothing about it. No, closing the window doesn't help.
- Don't think there is a pool - it's more of a large hot tub, filled with people drinking cocktails. Again, roof is a total scene, not a relaxing place to chill and have a drink

Room Tip: As high up as possible, make sure you have a real window, not just a light window. Must get at least a King bed or room will be like a coffin.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank JulieInSeattle

Thank you for the in-depth review. I'm sorry the rooms you received weren't to your liking; If you're in the area again we'd love to show you some of the other layouts, there are a few different ones, and some may be more what you're looking for than the one you received. Glad you loved the food and the staff, we'll definitely look into the cons that you pointed out. If you have a moment to let me know which room you stayed in, I'd love to look into the issues you had with circulation. If you're back in town, please let me know, we'd love to show you a better time!

Jason
jason.deibler@acehotel.com

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel has it all: incredibly helpful service (i.e. Josh at the onsite Stumptown coffee shop served me coffee 40 minutes before they opened), excellent location close to all the fun, and the design and architecture of the building is second to none. This hotel is another gem from the Ace team. I highly recommend you try the rooftop area (refraining from calling it a bar/lounge since it is much more/better than that) for swimming, drinks or music.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are designed differently, ask for a higher floor for better views of the city.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your review!