All reviews rooftop bar united artists medium room la chapter exposed concrete stumptown coffee hipster hotel loft room cool hotel restaurant downstairs body wash mini bar room service the ground floor grand central market shower curtain valet parking
Reviewed 22 July 2014

To be fair, I have waited over a week to write this review to be less emotional about the review, however I will admit this was by far one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever experienced in the world- yes, world. Let me explain to you why.

The room has been decorated nicely and I was fine with the size, however I find it comical that I paid over $300+ for a room that uses Ikea furnishings- yes, Ikea. When I am paying a premium price for accommodations, I expect top notch furnishings, not something a college kid would use.

There were no amenity kits such as a tooth brush, shaving cream, razor, etc. anywhere to be found. If they were available upon request, perhaps it was the lack of service or mention however it was nowhere to be found. I had to run downstairs across the street to get some last minute items.

The elevators are slower than death. There are a total of 3 lifts however while we stayed on the 8th floor (not that high) it took a minimum of 10 minutes each time we needed to get downstairs. Unacceptable.

Here is the real reason to my 1 star review- the RIDICULOUS and EXTREMELY RUDE staff which resulted me to leave in the middle of the night because of the "manager". I was attending a wedding with friends and we had booked a block of rooms. After the celebration, we decided to head to the 2nd floor for a night cap, where I was told by security that I was cut off. By no means was I starting or instigating any type of drama nor was I bumping into furnishings, etc. so I felt that this was uncalled for. 15 minutes later, after a friend purchased a beer for me, I was asked to leave. When I asked to speak to the manager stating that I am a guest of the hotel, I was not causing trouble here, he gave me an aloof answer and did NOTHING to provide or indicate he was apologetic. Being irate and asking if I was rational amongst my other friends, I decided to leave this hotel out of principle. I didn't want to spend another minute in a hotel that does not respect their guests whatsoever.

This is how you treat your hotel guests? I get better service at a fast food restaurant.

In summary, I will NEVER recommend this hotel chain to ANYONE around the world. I will make sure that my network will know and hear this story, as I think this is a pathetic waste of money and truly a rip off. As a paying customer, I do not deserve a 2nd class treatment from your staff.

IF YOU ARE MANAGEMENT: here is a tip: train your staff better and perhaps have them attend customer service classes because you have NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

DO NOT EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank yaoza513
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Mr. Yu,

I apologize for what sounds like a horrible experience, would you be able to speak on the phone regarding what happened?

I would definitely want to respond to some of your concerns, but it seems the biggest issue was that you were cut off & then treated poorly by the manager – I am looking into this so I can get more information about what occurred, and to speak with everyone that was present (especially the “manager” that you referred to!). Please let me know if there is a good time to speak, I can call you or you can reach me at 213.842.3238.

Regarding the furniture – it is custom made and designed by Commune Design, and the rooms feature original Noguchi lamps, custom made Pendleton blankets, and custom Suite Sleep mattresses. There is nothing from Ikea, as you pointed out. We do have amenities available upon request as well, I’m sorry that you we did not make you aware of this.

Again, it’s extremely troubling that you encountered such a horrible experience, and I’d appreciate the chance to speak with you regarding it.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I would have loved this hotel if I could go back to being in my late twenties. I would have been the type to hang out here. We’re in our mid-fifties and traveled with friends of the same age and this hotel was my choice because I wanted to check it out. The GM must be giving specific instructions to make sure that older folks like us are made to feel welcomed because everyone certainly did do just that, and it was appreciated. But, I felt very old being here, not sure why. The pool and bar upstairs were just annoying for me but I would have LOVED it had I been 25 years younger. We had a “medium” room and really liked it. Very creative use of design, the bed facing the wall with the TV was very cozy, I loved that. And, the bed was sooo comfortable. We faced Broadway and must not have had much noise, we slept very well. Warning: the shower is visible to the room so if you’re not with your significant other, it would be awkward!! They do provide a skimpy curtain for semi-privacy.
We had breakfast at the restaurant, LA Chapter. Great menu, great food. I am still thinking about those Ricotta Pancakes, they were amazing!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FamilleSB
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

We're so glad you enjoyed your time, and I can tell you that we don't instruct our staff to be especially friendly to any age group - they really are that way with everyone, which is why we love them so much! Glad you enjoyed your time here and the food in LA Chapter. I can tell you that many people really enjoy spending time Upstairs and on the Mezzanine during the week when it's more of a relaxed atmosphere - you're right, sometimes, especially weekends, it gets really busy. Thank you and we hope to have you back!

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.
Clean, beautiful rooms. Loved the bathroom. I really recommend it if you're into art deco.
The rooftop bar is amazing. You have a lovely view over LA and there are heaters for when it gets a bit chilly at night.
The restaurant is very nice as well, a bit loud, though.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

First, the bad:
- Rooms are small, as indicated by the other reviews, could have been laid out more efficiently.
- The water closet was more like a coffin; I now know I want to be cremated.
- The shower is exposed to the room.
- The rooftop pool isn't only for guests. It is a small pool (more like a hot tub) and was filled with people. All lounge chairs were taken too.
- The TV in the room is right in your face.
- Doesn't have full size ironing board.

Now, the good:
- The staff were EXTREMELY friendly. They clearly care about the guests.
- The linens on the bed are great.
- The bed is very comfortable.
- The towels were very nice.
- Loved the shampoo and body wash.
- The rooftop bar was very happening and a good time.
- Wide variety of drinks and snacks in the room.
- The historic aspects are really cool.

If you have a grasp of the reviews on here and adjust your expectations, you will have a great stay. I would stay here again. I will note that it is in an up and coming area.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank JoshCory

Josh, thanks so much for your honest thoughts! Please let us know when you're heading back to Los Angeles, we'd love to show you some of our other room types - some have exposed showers, some have completely different layouts.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We recently completed a one-night staycation in downtown L.A. to try out the Ace hotel as well as the highly touted Alma restaurant across the street (reviewed separately). This area of S. Broadway is a bit south and east of the more gentrified area of downtown, so pockets of seediness remain.

The Ace is located in a restored 1927 building which also houses the Theatre at Ace Hotel, formerly the United Artists Theatre, one of several extravagant theatres in the downtown area built during Hollywood's golden age. It opened in Jan. 2014. The hotel has a retro, hipster feel. If you are over 30, you will feel older if you stay here. Hipster employees must sign a contract upon hire stating their employment will terminate upon their 30th birthday. Hipster employees apparently do not wear uniforms or name-tags, so we could not differentiate hipster employees from hipster guests, hipster diners or hipsters just hanging out. The valet attendants, however, do wear vests, but are probably not employed directly by the hotel, since some of them looked over 30. We thought the crowd at the doorway was just miscellaneous hipsters until 2 of them greeted us, opened the door, and directed us to the reception desk. There, another hipster with 2-toned hair checked us in and explained the hotel's features. All staffers encountered were quite friendly and helpful, despite the fact we were comparatively less young and beautiful. The reception area also houses a unique gift shop worth a look. Retro music paraphernalia such as guitars, turntables and vinyl LP's lie casually about.

Across the hall from the front desk is the hotel's restaurant, L.A. Chapter (which also has a bar) and The Coffee Counter. Upstairs from the restaurant is another bar, The Mezzanine, which also has a private dining area. On the roof (14th floor), there is a 3rd bar, Upstairs, that has a central indoor area with the bar, plus 2 outdoor areas, one with a pool (more like a large hot tub) and chaises, the other with shaded tables. Bar food is offered. A very pleasant space during the day, probably becomes increasingly scene-y and hipster-ish at night. Upstairs can be accessed via the 2 guest elevators (key required) or via an elevator at the opposite end of L.A. Chapter from the lobby. The decent-sized gym is on the 4th floor, and has a washer/dryer and ice machine. Meeting rooms are on the 2nd floor.

We had booked a Small room, and did not receive or request an upgrade. We did request and received a mid-level room, because I had read upper floors get noise from the Upstairs lounge. Our room faced west and was high enough to look over the roof of the Ace Theatre to see the downtown skyscrapers to the north and the Ritz Carlton at L.A. Live to the south. Lower-floor west-facing rooms look into the alleyway between the hotel and theatre, and are probably rather dark. I noticed the guest hallway on the 13th (top) floor had wainscoting, whereas other floors just had paint.

The Small room was small, but I've stayed in smaller (in New York). It was a cross between a dorm room, with its collegiate-like wool blanket and Ikea-like furniture, and a loft, with its bare concrete ceiling, bathroom floor and support columns and exposed particle board-like walls. The bed area is carpeted. The low-slung queen bed is a mattress on a wooden platform that creaks a lot. Luckily the bed wasn't pushed flush to the wall, so it could be accessed, barely, from both sides. There is a duvet under the collegiate blanket. The TV was HD. There is a retro-looking radio that is in fact web connected--not being hipsters, we could barely figure out how to turn it on, and certainly couldn't set the alarm--printed instructions would be helpful, thank you! We were able to program the TV to be our alarm clock. The small free-standing armoire had a very narrow closet and safe on one side and the minibar and fridge on the other. The desk had a stationery container that included music paper for jotting down the notes to the tune that just popped into your head, plus several hipster publications I had never heard of. The room's window opened fully! The open bathroom is split in 2 by the entry door. On one side is the sink and thankfully enclosed WC, on the other is the shower with windows open to the bedroom. The shower curtain was not fully functional (some leakage). There was little counter space, the hand soap for the sink was a Godiva chocolate-sized square with a "rope" to hang it up. The shower had pump dispensers for body wash, shampoo and conditioner. The bathrobes are made of sweatshirt/hoodie-like material--very hipster.

Here's what hipsters do not need in their hotel rooms, and what the Ace doesn't supply:
1) A delivered, printed newspaper. Hipsters just use their phone or tablet, or cough up the funds to buy one at the front desk.
2) Hand lotion in the room. Hipsters have naturally smooth and moist skin.
3) Slippers. Too bourgeois!
4) Turndown service. See above.
5) Linens changed more frequently than every 3 days. Hipsters are eco-friendly.

We sampled the food at L.A. Chapter twice. From room service (ordered after dining at Alma), I had a Five Leaves Burger, which comes with grilled pineapple, pickled beet and an egg. Pretty good, a bit salty. For breakfast, we dined amongst hipster diners and wait staff and a few business folks. It was also here that we saw the only children during our stay (I think that the Large Double Queen rooms, the only ones with 2 beds, do not have peek-a-boo showers). I had the Moroccan Scramble--visually impressive but again on the salty side. Besides Alma, I think there are more off-site dining options to the north.

This was not an unpleasant stay, even though we are not part of the Ace's target audience. Admittedly, the guests we saw were not just hipsters, we definitely noticed a few who brazenly displayed their grey hair, and there were some Asians who were curious to try downtown's newest hotel. Overall, though, I think one would be more comfortable here if you are young, not just young at heart.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank pillowsofwanderlust

It was a pleasure reading your review - thank you for the time spent sharing your experiences during the time you spent here. We definitely do embrace all ages (staff and guests) and do hope that those you encountered during your stay were as friendly and helpful as you mentioned! We hope to have you back, thanks again for writing.