All reviews rooftop bar united artists medium room la chapter exposed concrete stumptown coffee hipster hotel loft room cool hotel restaurant downstairs body wash mini bar room service the ground floor grand central market shower curtain valet parking
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here recently for the GBTA convention, and absolutely loved the hotel. The design was terrific, particularly the gorgeous bathrooms with white subway tile and retro/industrial fixtures. What impressed me most about my stay was the great service, I really thought the staff was super friendly and helpful, starting with my check-in experience and throughout the stay. I also ate with some colleagues in the restaurant several times, and we all thought the food was AWESOME, and the service at the restaurant was very friendly and laid-back too.

In reading the other reviews, I think some people have been put off by the appearance of the staff, granted the "uniform" is sort of a hipster vibe, but everyone I encountered was VERY friendly and helpful. I think this hotel is doing a great job hitting that sweet spot between hospitality and cool. I'd stay here again, and it makes me want to try other Ace hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Parley S
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed your stay during GBTA. We're proud of our staff, it's always great to hear such praise. Hope you're able to come back soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The coolest university dorm that you never had in an architectural gem of a building. Add staff that are engaged and engaging; professional and laid back. Great combination. Start and end the evening at the rooftop bar then toss in amazing, yes, amazing breakfast the next morning. Another great property for the Ace Hotel group and a great addition to downtown LA. It may seem the area is a bit sketch but you are close to many great attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

So glad you enjoyed Ace DTLA! Hope you make it back soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Prior to arrival I had issues w/resv, once there record player had needle missing they never came to replace, over an hour for fresh towels and wash clothes, the kicker MY IPAD WAS STOLEN! They refused to provide me with a lock key report, or camera footage showing the entries! We were here for GBTA and my colleague had cigarettes stolen from his room, someone charged drinks to my room when I was in bed asleep. She removed it but how does this happen? My uber driver said he's heard of the theft from other passengers that stay there!

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Nelbway73

I'm sorry about the experiences you encountered on your stay during GBTA. We do not have such issues but I am personally following up with the team on your lost items & mischarge in the outlet; this is not the norm at Ace and we take it seriously. Please feel free to contact me directly as well.

Jason.deibler@acehotel.com

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great meal before the theater at LA Chapter - restaurant for the Ace hotel. Great watermelon appetizer salad. Delicious lamb steak for main. My partner really loved the salmon. Great experience. Gosh how Downtown LA has changed. Very New York

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Philip,

thanks for the kind words! I love the watermelon salad as well. Soooo happy with all the great new additions our Chef continues to share. Hope you enjoyed the Theatre as well!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

To be fair, I have waited over a week to write this review to be less emotional about the review, however I will admit this was by far one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever experienced in the world- yes, world. Let me explain to you why.

The room has been decorated nicely and I was fine with the size, however I find it comical that I paid over $300+ for a room that uses Ikea furnishings- yes, Ikea. When I am paying a premium price for accommodations, I expect top notch furnishings, not something a college kid would use.

There were no amenity kits such as a tooth brush, shaving cream, razor, etc. anywhere to be found. If they were available upon request, perhaps it was the lack of service or mention however it was nowhere to be found. I had to run downstairs across the street to get some last minute items.

The elevators are slower than death. There are a total of 3 lifts however while we stayed on the 8th floor (not that high) it took a minimum of 10 minutes each time we needed to get downstairs. Unacceptable.

Here is the real reason to my 1 star review- the RIDICULOUS and EXTREMELY RUDE staff which resulted me to leave in the middle of the night because of the "manager". I was attending a wedding with friends and we had booked a block of rooms. After the celebration, we decided to head to the 2nd floor for a night cap, where I was told by security that I was cut off. By no means was I starting or instigating any type of drama nor was I bumping into furnishings, etc. so I felt that this was uncalled for. 15 minutes later, after a friend purchased a beer for me, I was asked to leave. When I asked to speak to the manager stating that I am a guest of the hotel, I was not causing trouble here, he gave me an aloof answer and did NOTHING to provide or indicate he was apologetic. Being irate and asking if I was rational amongst my other friends, I decided to leave this hotel out of principle. I didn't want to spend another minute in a hotel that does not respect their guests whatsoever.

This is how you treat your hotel guests? I get better service at a fast food restaurant.

In summary, I will NEVER recommend this hotel chain to ANYONE around the world. I will make sure that my network will know and hear this story, as I think this is a pathetic waste of money and truly a rip off. As a paying customer, I do not deserve a 2nd class treatment from your staff.

IF YOU ARE MANAGEMENT: here is a tip: train your staff better and perhaps have them attend customer service classes because you have NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

DO NOT EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank yaoza513
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Mr. Yu,

I apologize for what sounds like a horrible experience, would you be able to speak on the phone regarding what happened?

I would definitely want to respond to some of your concerns, but it seems the biggest issue was that you were cut off & then treated poorly by the manager – I am looking into this so I can get more information about what occurred, and to speak with everyone that was present (especially the “manager” that you referred to!). Please let me know if there is a good time to speak, I can call you or you can reach me at 213.842.3238.

Regarding the furniture – it is custom made and designed by Commune Design, and the rooms feature original Noguchi lamps, custom made Pendleton blankets, and custom Suite Sleep mattresses. There is nothing from Ikea, as you pointed out. We do have amenities available upon request as well, I’m sorry that you we did not make you aware of this.

Again, it’s extremely troubling that you encountered such a horrible experience, and I’d appreciate the chance to speak with you regarding it.