“Ace is the Place”

Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles
Ranked #91 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stayed at the Ace during the first month it was open. Services are very limited, accommodations are sparse, but the views are amazing. Lots of noise on the street from those leaving the hotel bar. Very memorable hotel. One of a kind.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the street to avoid the loud discussion from those leaving the bar looking for...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

Thank you for your review - i'd love to hear more about the limited services you encountered (or didn't!) so I can address! Hope to have you back!

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had drinks on roof bar with a bunch of 20-30 something hipsters. We were out of place. Loved the downtown views but waiting in line for cocktails with a loud dj, not so much. The drinks were delicious, old fashioneds ! The pool was a neat concept in middle of hanging out area.

• Stayed: June 2014

We're sorry the atmosphere wasn't what you were looking for when you visited. We definitely have all different kinds of programming Upstairs and some nights are a little noisier than others -but we hope you'll come back again and see how it is on other night. Thanks!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have to say I was surprised how low key the DTLA Ace was on our visit a few nights ago...and that suits me just fine. Our room (loft) was extremely spacious, had a great view of the Jesus Saves sign, and while we were just a couple floors below the rooftop bar, and we could hear it from the room, it wasn't bad...and frankly the tempo up there was just perfect, with a nice mix of LA hipsters and "normal" guests, it was comfortable in a way that rooftop bars in DTLA can sometimes not be. (props to the contained but spirited DJ/dance floor combo.)

We didn't have a lot of interactions with the staff, but the lovely girl at the front desk went out of her way to find out what we were doing and why we were there, and offered up a few suggestions before sending us on our way. The rooms are creatively spartan, and that may not suit some people...but I really enjoyed many of the touches from the heavy, galvanized security-glass windows...to the turntable and richie havens albums next to the bed.

Now you'd think that having a Stumptown coffee bar in the lobby would be a good thing, but frankly, the brew was "off", the barista's seemed more chosen for their denim fit than their coffee making skills (a point confirmed by the soggy cappuccino I received). And it would be awesome if they could offer a tour for guests of the beautiful theatre next to the lobby, since the marketing of the hotel seems to keep mentioning it.

Downtown is definitely a changing, and the Ace is a big part of that evolution. I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: spring for one of the larger rooms...they aren't much more $ but are very spacious
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bgoyette
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Bgoyette,

Thank you for your input! We actually have our baristas regularly trained by Stumptown, so I honestly apologize for the level of quality you received - it's definitely not the norm and I will look into it for sure!

Glad you enjoyed much of your stay, and yes, we are still putting a lot of the Theatre team in place, but plan on being able to do regular tours in the future. If you're ever back, please feel free to reach out to me (even if you're just in the area) so I can give you a tour personally.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for business and agree with some of the reviewers who were very disappointed with their stays. I can understand design aesthetic and what they were going for, but I feel like they missed the mark on this one. 4 nights in this cold, concrete, small room with very minimal amenities- not even a travel sized lotion? My do not disturb sign was stolen the first day and after several requests never returned so I was always being disturbed by housekeeping, honor bar, etc. If I can look past the bed that was almost on the floor, the lamps that I had to get out of bed to turn off and the awfully loud partying coming from all directions, the service did not come close to what I would expect. Both the front desk and restaurant seemed inconvenienced that I would have a request or wanted to order a glass of wine. One night I had to call room service 5 times in a row with no answer- when I finally got through I was told the wait was over an hour for any orders and I would be better off just coming down to the bar. This is exactly what I didn't want to hear- especially when I knew it would take at least 10 minutes for the elevators to come. I realize I may not be hipster enough to stay here, but don't make me feel like I am inconveniencing you by staying here. 5 days in the same hotel and no one ever greeted me by name or welcomed me back. My first and last time staying at an Ace.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank luxetraveler5

I'm sorry about the issues you experienced during your stay with us. We actually have lotion from Aesop upon request for our guests, but it's entirely possible that you stayed with us when we had an issue with getting enough here on time. Compound that with someone stealing your DND sign AND the problems you faced with room service, I completely understand your frustration. We do not allow parties in rooms, and diligently walk the halls to do our best to nip any in the bud before they begin.

Please feel free to contact me directly; I'd love to look into the problems you had and see if there's anything I can do.

Thanks,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My teenage daughter and I enjoyed our trendy stay at the Ace Hotel. It was nice to experience
the downtown area and see how things are improving. The staff was helpful, room was quiet,
and comfortable. I never even got to the roof top bar, but was able to get to experience a sold out premier next door at the theater. Parking is steep, $38. per night for guests. The cafe meal in the morning was fabulous!! Enjoyed our stay! Great place to stay if you are visiting USC, 10 mins away.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Come visit again and we'd love to show you Upstairs personally! It really is a great space, the view is amazing, and I'll be glad to show you the Theatre as well in case you missed it!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here recently for the GBTA convention, and absolutely loved the hotel. The design was terrific, particularly the gorgeous bathrooms with white subway tile and retro/industrial fixtures. What impressed me most about my stay was the great service, I really thought the staff was super friendly and helpful, starting with my check-in experience and throughout the stay. I also ate with some colleagues in the restaurant several times, and we all thought the food was AWESOME, and the service at the restaurant was very friendly and laid-back too.

In reading the other reviews, I think some people have been put off by the appearance of the staff, granted the "uniform" is sort of a hipster vibe, but everyone I encountered was VERY friendly and helpful. I think this hotel is doing a great job hitting that sweet spot between hospitality and cool. I'd stay here again, and it makes me want to try other Ace hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Parley S

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed your stay during GBTA. We're proud of our staff, it's always great to hear such praise. Hope you're able to come back soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The coolest university dorm that you never had in an architectural gem of a building. Add staff that are engaged and engaging; professional and laid back. Great combination. Start and end the evening at the rooftop bar then toss in amazing, yes, amazing breakfast the next morning. Another great property for the Ace Hotel group and a great addition to downtown LA. It may seem the area is a bit sketch but you are close to many great attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

So glad you enjoyed Ace DTLA! Hope you make it back soon!