“Your paying for the location not the room & ammentities”

Hollywood Inn Express South
Ranked #268 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Recently, stayed 2 nites there to attend a college graduation - Property is in the remodeling process - We were given a room, it was furnished poorly such as you feel the springs in the bed, tv remote didnt worked (had to replace it twice), towels & bedsheets are dirty not washed thoroughly & carpets are not clean (looked like old carpeting which needs deep cleaning) - We asked for a different room once we inspect the other room, which was a little better by the size & furnishing was much better, but carpet was dirty & cobwebs where the lighting area was & towels and sheets are little better - There was smell in the 2nd room, but we took care of that with can of Lysol - Hotel provided continental breakfast, really people, there was only waffles (syrup didnt taste like syrup just looked like it ) & Cornflakes cereal & coffee & Sunny Delight juice (not fresh OJ) - Breakfast was a joke, not even a continental breakfast, I've seen better breakfast elsewhere - We asked for a iron & ironing board which ironing board didnt work too - We received codes to access the WiFi there too, but only good for 24 hrs - Last but not least, BED BUGS were in the 2nd room that booked when we left today, my friend develop bites on her upper arms near her shoulders - Considering the location of the hotel is what you are paying for not the room & ammendities - Hotel really needs alot of work besides the remodeling process that is going on

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 April 2013

OMG, where do I start? My sister booked this room when we were in town for the day. Since most rooms were close to $200, she decided to save a little money and book a room at this place. At first glance, the hotel looked somewhat decent until we arrived in our room. As we opened the door, I could not believe that my sister paid close to $100 for this room. It definitely was not worth it. Not only was it not clean, but we kept hearing helicopters flying around, which made me think that we weren't in the safest area.

First thing I noticed was that the carpets looked old, dirty and stained. Then there were metal bars on the windows. Someone used a knife to carve words into the headboard. The phone had no cover on it. The lights above the beds had no covers on them, just the exposed light bulb. The remote had no batteries. When I inquired about them, the guy at the front told me I had to come get them.

Hmm, what else?

No coffee in the morning or in the hotel room and the brunch or whatever they offer is only offered from 7a-9a, at least that's what the guy at the front counter said. The beds were too hard and the pillows smelled weird.

We will never stay here again. If you need to save money on a room, book in advance and don't stay here no matter how desperate you are.

Oh, you also have to pay 25 cents for ice. No free ice, which I think is wrong!!!!!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank vivi r
Reviewed 7 April 2013

The room itself was large and fairly good deco considering the price but I should have followed the advice of previous reviewers and spent a little more money for a better hotel. The location was great for accessing Hwy 2 (to get to Griffith obsrvatiory, Hollywood Blvd and Universal Studios and later six flags)....but the experience was terrible. Everything from questionable adult activities outside our hotel parking lot; poor management; pool was down b/c it didn't pass inspection (we chose the hotel for our kids b/c of the pool). I booked thru Expedia so I couldn't ask for a discount, i guess. Their towels were like sandpaper - like the ones you use for cleaning after car work. Couldn't get useful information (in fact was given the wrong address to Griffith Observatory but luckily used my phone) from hotel front desk staff. Everyone seemed to like eating the waffles from the machine. Gross to me. I like fruit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Peaceoutbaby
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Well, I came to town to visit, didn't think I'd have to spend the night so booked this room on Expedia. It was in my price range so here I am. The man up front was super unfriendly, it felt like showing up bothered him. The room I got smells. The sheets are stained, the carpet has ashes, there's graffiti on the bathroom wall, some blood looking stain on the shower curtain, the rest of the walls and switches look beaten up and it's overall creepy. This was a horrible idea. I am kind of afraid to sleep, I feel like I'll wake up covered in cockroaches. I really can't wait to leave.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank MissTiNa138
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I came here a couple weeks ago and the manager was extremely hard to deal with. The place isn't the cleanest out there but location is decent. I booked a 3 bed hotel room but he gave me a 2 bed instead saying that I only have two guests. So what if I had two guests? I PAID for a 3 bed (So what if people came over (they didnt stay over)? What were you gonna do, spy on me outside my room to make sure we only had two guests? Also the parking lot was a mess. I witnessed a small collision that could've easily been prevented if management wasnt dumb enough to create makeshift parking spots (that were clearly illegal, I have photos) just to comply with the busier weekend. The manager came out and argued that it wasnt his fault. Well no obviously you didn't drive the car but YOU made those ghetto parking spots with some traffic cones that did not apply to city ordinance and you decide to give your "expert advice" to your guests? I hate this place. I've never witnessed such DUMB people.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Henryxjo
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We aren't fussy people at all and don't care if the room is a bit old, but if it's dirty & has hair in it, that's it!!! This is the worst motel we have ever stayed in! First of all we are 6 people staying in this room, & we booked it online & it said the maximum people for this room was 6, so that made us happy that we would only have to get 1 room! But when we got there they wouldn't let us stay in the room unless we payed $10 for 3 people!!!!!!!! When we got in the room we noticed right away that the blankets weren't clean, there was actual stains & shoe marks on it, we lifted the sheets up to find mold spots, stains, and long black hairs on the sheets! Then it was time for the shower, we had been traveling by train & hadn't showered for a few days, but we definately didn't feel clean in this room! There was also long black hairs in the tub and sinks!!!!! repeating, there was long hairs in the tub and sink. this motel is also located in the dumps of LA, witch made it scary to walk around outside at night! Never going back to this motel! Get the tubs, sinks, blankets, sheets washed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. There are also no blankets on these beds!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I came to LA to get medical attention at world reknown House Ear Institute, and was referred by HEI to this motel. I was expecting to have a really tough time in LA, but staying at Hollywood Inn Express South made it all worth it. Everyone was very helpful, going above the call of duty to make sure all my needs were met, which were many, and which, because of my medical condition, were a bit out of the ordinary. But, no worries! The staff here made sure that I always had my Internet access code, which they'd personally bring to my door because walking across the parking lot was very difficult for me. At times, they brought me ice, knocked on my door to check on me, asked after my well fare , and treated me like they would a family member, even better.

It there was one employee who stood out above and beyond even this: Al-Amin. Al, or as I got used to calling him, my "handsome man", called to make me reservations at a local restaurant when I needed a recommendation for a place. He even phoned the owner to make sure I'd receive the best service! This employee is absolutely fabulous, and I hope that I get to return to LA for more medical treatment just so I can stay here again and have my handsome man, Al, bring us ice and recommend other amazing places. Hollywood Inn Express South is very lucky to have him on their staff.

Oh, before I forget, here's a shout out to the maintenance man, who walked me numerous times across the parking lot; to the owner, the distinguished white-haired gentleman who knocked on my door to make sure I was ok, like I was his own daughter, and to the wonderful maid staff who always made sure I had plenty of towels. Ice and blankets.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business