“You get what you pay for. Low prices”

Hollywood Inn Express South
Ranked #261 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Tombstone, Arizona, United States
“You get what you pay for. Low prices”
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

2.5 stars would be an adequate rating

My lovely, sweet and well intentioned wife whom is my best friend really meant well and I think thought this was the Holiday Inn where we frequent....

We walked in and were immediately overwhelmed by smoker stench and then some. Apparently she got a smoking room somehow.... We called the desk and they said they would switch it. We went to the new room and it smelled much better!

The window view is a multilayered low income home made fence with a residential old garage can outside our window.

The towels were clean though and the young Indian guy at the front desk was really nice.

(First room) One of the two beds smelled like Febreeze and burrito in the central area of the sheets which is a bad sign.

(Second room) this one was almost 3 stars and lots cleaner. The beds were not smelly but still lacked that super clean bleachy smell that I love even at home.

I would say if you get a room here for $60 - $75 for the price it is great. If you are used to nicer things then it will not meet your standards. You get what you pay for...

Note to all hotels: wash towels and sheets with bleach and people know it is clean and don't let people in the rooms.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I've stayed in some inexpensive hotels that were very well cared for, but this is not one of those hotels. Yes, LA is an expensive place to visit, but I would not stay here again no matter what the price point.
The first room they booked us into had obviously not even been cleaned. There were still other people's food and rubbish strewn about the room. We went back to the office to get booked into another room. This one had been at least picked up, but I think cleaned would be an overstatement. I'm going to upload a picture of the bathroom ceiling, which was absolutely covered in mold.
Additionally, the beds are horribly uncomfortable and accessorized by the world's thinnest blanket and two flat pillows. When I went back to get additional pillows and blankets I was told to come back later. Oh, and the "continental breakfast" is knock off corn flakes, a waffle maker, room temperature milk, and syrup from a ketchup bottle- that's it.
I'm just hoping we didn't bring home bedbugs. This place was awful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I travel a lot for work (4 or 5 star) and also privately (incl hostels) and therefore have usually a good idea of what I can expect for the price I pay and in this case this is really off! First of all, I booked originally at the North and when arriving was told they had a water leak and I was moved to the other motel...no email or call to advise of this in advance. Then the room was just disgusting and as I say, I know what economy lodging looks like from many hostel stays in Asia, Europe and the US. The carpet was filthy, the bathroom dirty and smelled, the furniture in the room had carvings and was broken. Worst place I ever stayed!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Vanessa M
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We had a good, basic stay at competitive price. At first, we were confused (as no doubt intended) that this was a Holiday Inn Express... but after booking, I realized my error and was prepared for the worst. However, the location was good for our purposes and the facilities were adequate for us. We had a reasonable, quiet stay and were comfortable with the room facilities.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Worst stay ever, dirty towels, not clean room, we booked to stay here for a week but as soon as we got there changed our mind and only done a night, just as well because breakfast was poor only a waffle machine and cereal didn't even bother very poor you can tell they do this to save money they should be ashamed. Bed uncomfortable . Neighbour hood trashy and rough. Tramps around leaking makes you feel at unease. Just don't stay here if rather sleep in the car. Worst experience ever.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Sammyhair
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The location was terrible!!! It was a really dirty, dingy and scary neighborhood, with weird people walking on the streets. The hotel was the same. Dirty carpets smelling really bad, broken shower, weird people around. We've found 2 cockroaches in the room and I keep asking myself how I could stay there. Terrible staff, the guy whom was attending us was really rude, and when we were going to pay we wanted to split the amount and he said he could not do it because he didn't know how, so we should just pay with someone's credit card. The breakfast area was really small with tables that couldn't accommodate even half of the clients. Me and my friends thought we were getting a good deal and saving our money, but I'd rather pay double the price for a nice hotel room. It was really disappointing, don't ever stay there!!!

Room Tip: Just don't stay there!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Larissa_gd
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed there just one night because our other hotel was full booked and we wanted something cheap. When we arrived we found out that we had got a smoking room, so Sun was really nice and helped us get a non-smoking one. We got a really big room, fresch and nice with one big bed each. The location is maybe not the best, but its a great stay for just a few days. It takes around 15 min to walk to the subway, so thats ok. But I don't think you should walk alone in the area when it's dark. We got a the best room and the staff was nice, so we can't really complain.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple