Americas Best Value Inn - Los Angeles / Hollywood
Ranked #175 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I wanted to put a room on hold for some family members, so I called them. The woman said they still have a room and that she'd put it on hold. She asked for my last name and than hung up the phone pretty quick. 2 hours later my family arrived there and all rooms where gone. So I called again. The woman who picked up the phone told me they gave it away after an hour (understandable, would have liked a warning though) and that she would have needed a credit card number. She definetly did NOT give me THAT information. When I complained that I got kind of missinformed by her she said by and hung up on me.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lttg

Reviewed 27 September 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel to avoid the drive home (approx 40 miles away) after a concert and night on the town. The hotel staff was very accomodating and welcoming and the room was actually better than expected. We were able to walk to the Staples center and LA Live and then around downtown as well. If you need a place to stay in downtown and want a clean room that's affordable I would highly recommend this hotel. We felt so comfortable we've decided to stay at this hotel everytime we plan a night out in the city.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank satchel82
Reviewed 26 April 2010

The story of our stay:

1. We find the place online. $62? Great. And it looks like it's right by Silverlake and the freeway. Perfect.

2. We arrive. Turns out it's not quite in Silverlake. A little closer to Shadesville. Coming inside, we're greeted by the lovely and inviting Plexiglas window to protect the desk clerk. Good for him. Where's ours?

3. We begin to sense a vague creepiness that we just can't pinpoint. I'm not normally picky about hotels. When I'm on vacation I come to the hotel to sleep and shower; all I ask is that it be quiet and clean. And it seemed to be ok. The room looked fine at first - decent size, clean-ish bathroom, functioning internet, normal motel amenities. But something just felt "off" here.

4. We notice that there is something alive in the wall. Some kind of insect or rodent noise coming from *inside* the wall between the main room and the bathroom. It didn't sound like a cricket or cicada but it wasn't a pipe or heater noise either. My girlfriend begins to freak out.

5. The brown thing. We find an approx. 1 inch roundish clump of a brown unidentified substance on the floor next to the bed. It looks somewhere between a dessicated poo and a clump of coffee grounds. There is no coffee maker in the room. I can't prove that it was poo, but it sure wasn't pleasant.

6. We decide we're leaving. It's 11:30 the same night we arrived and we abandon ship for a normal motel in actual Silverlake. This is the first time in my life I've ever done this. As if to confirm we made the right choice, we notice a sign in the stairwell stating that "products used or sold on these premises contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer." I don't know if this is a common thing, but it was the first time I'd noticed that sign anywhere.

7. On a positive note, the night clerk was very pleasant when we checked out.

8. My girlfriend's cell phone - in her purse - mysteriously called mine as we were driving away. I wonder what Ghost Hunters would turn up at this place.

Not recommended.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SebS26
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We got to the inn at 9 am when check-in was at 3 pm. The hotel staff was extremely friendly. Although we couldn't check in early (b/c the room was still occupied), the receptionist offered to keep our bags meanwhile so we could go travel. They were extremely nice and always offered to help us meet our needs.

The room itself was pretty decent. Comfortable and clean bed. The only drawback was a nasty sewage smell that greated us when we opened the door. However, we turned on the air conditioning and the smell was pretty much gone in 2 hours. The room was pretty quiet.

Internet was free and stable. There were numerous television channels. Overall, a very positive experience. Especially considering such good value for the near downtown location.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Pros - Cheap for LA, free parking and wireless, clean room friendly staff. Cons - Frightning area, especially on local transport, extremely noisy. We lasted 15 minutes in the room, my wife was in tears, we bit the bullet and went to a safer sound proofed room in the Universal area.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank eavesm
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Pros: Good staff and very good location, near downtown (3 min) and Hollywood (2 min). Rooms have fridge, desk, free WIFI and free parking.
Cons: little room, would need a renovation, noisy road near. Just ok for the night, but don't spend much time here, better go outside. no pool.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2009

I stayed there for 2 weeks and a half on august 2k8 :) i choosed this hotel because of the proximity of downtown. Bus stop at 1meter bus #200 to the metro station around 20min to get there - 200 meters or so to the bus # 704 to santa monica (1h30 to santa monica drive thru beverly hills its cool to see all that places from the bus and meet ppl.

The staff is awesome!!! Very helpful, smart... smile a lot, always here to hear or reply to ur question, find solution or help for ur day trip :).

actually I miss Carmen & the second floor's housekeeper Erica :) but all the staff is cool :)

the room are big sizes, very clean, the housekeeper always make sure u miss nothing at ur room... if the hotel isnt full they'll show u differents room and let u choose.

Wireless work perfectly, the fridge & the microhoover are there no worries lol the tv works well too lol

at 200 meters from the hotel, starbucks, shops for food, lavatory... 2 types of buses.

if I have (and im sure I will) to come back to LA u can be sure I’ll go there… you really feel like home… and that was important to me!

A bit noisy at nite, but hey? If u want a calm place… go to UTAH lol (or stay home ;))

this place was cool cause i felt for something like 3 weeks americans :) if i had a car there...i would had the' cahnce to see all the things i saw, met the ppl i met...

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Virginie_7791