“Jazz and more”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

I heard that this jazz venue was located elsewhere before and was moved to this location. I found the place a bit large and not very intimate for a jazz club.

When I heard that Steve Gadd was playing there, I had to go see this drumming legend. When we got there, they were playing a smooth jazz piece and my heart sank. But soon they picked it up and it started improving rapidly, ending with quite a fine musical experience.

The food was reasonable but overpriced. I thought that after charging $40 per head for the performance, to have highly priced food was a bit much. But the mojitos were excellent!

I was particularly annoyed to find that I had to sign my credit card bill three times before it went through. A small thing perhaps but never happened to me, so had to mention it. They were not apologetic enough for this inconvenience - maybe that is what upset me. Too many clients and so the service wasn't that personal.

1  Thank Sandhya S
There are newer reviews for Catalina Bar & Grill

Reviewed 16 October 2013

It was a very intimate but awesome venue. Show was outstanding, the service was great and the food was spectacular.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We were at LA and looking for a Jaz Club in town, and found that Steve Tyler was showing at Catalina - we proceeded with a reservation and there we go.

We had the best table available at the very dront of the atage, very good aeevice ans excelent food, lots of Jazz luminaries were that night attending the show - a terrific night.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We had the pleasure of seeing jazz vocalist Jane Monheit perform here (accompanied by her trio - piano, bass & drums). The club has a nice and classy atmosphere, friendly and efficient wait staff, pleasing acoustics and good sight-lines. After paying an admission charge, they have a 2 drink or food minimum order expectation for each person. It was well worth it - we had a great experience. Musically satisfying and a really fun evening. Valet parking next door ($6). I highly recommend the Catalina!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

You can get great entertainment at this establishment, but the food choices and quality is poor. Best bet is to buy your performance ticket and have the two drinks, not the dinner as part of your admission charge.

1  Thank atouroperator