“Terrific potential”

Ranked #76 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Toronto, Canada
“Terrific potential”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The Moment Hotel on Sunset Blvd is an interesting stay. Obviously a great concept in an amazing location but there's some execution required. The staff were extremely helpful and LA casual but excellent. The kitchen, bar/lounge however aren't up to scratch yet. Fortunately some decent restaurants nearby.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DavidB373
Craig S, General Manager at The Moment Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for the comments. I look forward to passing them onto the staff and let them know they are doing a good job. I'm disappointed to hear the word potential, as that means we're not living up to the standards that we expect.
Next time you'll stay with us, I'm confidant that our roofdeck will be more then satisfactory for you.

Craig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2014

For the groupon price (about 580 for three nights), I'd say we almost got what we paid for, but the place has a ways to go. I got the vibe that this was supposed to be a hip hotel, but to have your bars open on an "as requested" basis totally undermines that. The hotel touts its roof deck, which is aesthetically pleasing but dead as a doornail. This probably has something to do with the fact that there was no bartender there. Someone eventually came up and asked us if we needed help. Apparently we were supposed to request one from downstairs, essentially taking someone away from their job to help us. Definitely awkward. Even more absurd is that the the taps were saran-wrapped very little at the bar appeared to be set up, so it would be 10 minutes before we got a drink, even if we personally requested a bartender.

There were also little things like not having an ice bucket or a Do Not Disturb sign, and while I knew the cost of parking before I stayed there, it was sort of silly given that spots didn't seem limited around the area. The room seemed a smaller than displayed in pictures, and while this is common, it did seem more misleading than other hotels I've stayed in.

Our room was acceptable, with a great TV and better shower, but somewhat creepy translucent bathroom doors. Also, the hotel was nearly empty, and we were placed on the first floor. Why? It's less comfortable and less private. I didn't have issues with noise as others reported, but I kind of thought we would be upgraded, or at least on the second floor given that almost no one else seemed to be staying at the hotel.

The concierge service -- I don't want to diss the staff, who were nice -- but it just seemed to border on lazy. We were given a couple places within walking distance that were lackluster. I ended up finding better things by searching on my own. While this isn't a terrible problem, for a place that touts this (granted, I did not want a tattoo or a snowcone), they should really get to know the area more. Animal, one of the best restaurants in LA, was less than 3 miles away, but they didn't even mention that.

I thought the staff was nice, but the place reeks of a tight-wad owner trying to cut corners. Unfortunately, this filters down to the customer experience. While I knew about the 22 dollars for parking, it seems a bit much given there's no garage or valet or anything. Plus, there's a decent amount of street parking available. I would probably give this 2 and a half if I could, but that's only due to the price reduction. Given that most travelers pay more (I nearly paid 180 more before I saw the groupon), 2 stars it is.

Room Tip: Not worth anything more than 150 a night before tax
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bagelsnfox
Craig S, General Manager at The Moment Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm disappointed to hear that you had issues with your stay and ranked us so low. I would like to mention a few things though:

The rate you purchased was highly discounted and through Groupon and it was for a specific type of room. More then likely you were placed on the first floor, as that was the only room type available specific to your "deal".

You are correct that there is parking available on the street. However meters, alternate street parking and permits are needed in several areas, so if you're encouraging others to park their, please ensure they are aware of the potential tickets.

Our design is unique and unfortunately you didn't like it. But I assure you that our ownership never intended to cut corners. This can be witnessed in the top notch bedding, the electronic drapes, 42" Plasma TV's with DirectTV and many more amenities. The reason you didn't have an ice bucket is simple. To maximize space, we don't have ice machines on the floors. It is located in the kitchen and our staff is always happy to deliver it to our guests.

I do want to thank you for your review. Contact me directly next time you would like to travel to Hollywood and we hope to see you soon.

Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were in town for a concert at the Hollywood Bowl and had a great stay at the Moment Hotel. We especially appreciated the convenient location and very courteous and helpful staff. Courtney and Owen were particularly helpful and a pleasure to talk to. The rooftop deck was a real nice addition to the trip as well.

Thanks so much!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your great review. We appreciate the kind words and you are absolutely correct about Owen and Courtney and all our staff. They are top notch. We hope to see you soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I've stayed here a couple times and have really enjoyed my experience. The staff is excellent, friendly, and very helpful. Would recommend The Moment for anyone who is looking for a nice place to stay in LA.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Craig S, General Manager at The Moment Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Jimmy:

Thank you for the excellent review. We've enjoyed having you visit us several times and look forward to many more! That being said, I'm pretty sure you drafted a winning fantasy football team in our lobby, so you'll have to be back to defend your title! All the best and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Would have gotten all 5's except for the food when I ordered room service. I didn't realize it was more of a "microwave" menu..more for a late night snack.. Not really chef type food.
The staff is WONDERFUL and let us have an early check in which was a godsend after a hellish long drive and I recommend it to anyone going to downtown.
Other than the food, this is a 5 star hotel and I would stay there again,as there are plenty of places to eat elsewhere.
Excellent customer service, decor is great, beds are comfy and rooms are VERY clean.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for the very positive review. We are glad that you loved it here and touched on many great aspects of our property. I'm disappointed that you didn't enjoy the food, but I ensure you that all our items are cooked in an oven. We look forward to getting you back here and perhaps trying out that late night menu one more time.

All the best,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A great little hotel not too far from the Hollywood Walk of Fame. We arrived early in the day from our 14 hour flight. The staff were very friendly and allowed us to rest up on the roof top bar while our rooms were prepared. The roof top bar is a great little space with comfortable couches.

The rooms are great with comfortable beds and space in the mini bar to add personal items. The funky design goes all the way through the hotel - including odd shapes on the walls and ceilings. A great cost conscious place to stay however rooms can be a little noisy due to poor soundproofing within but the soundproofing along Sunset Boulevard seems good.

Room Tip: We had a corner room where the bathroom provided a sound buffer from the next room. That said, our r...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank janeneb75
Craig S, General Manager at The Moment Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to review us and we look forward to your next visit here. We are disappointed to hear that you felt it was a bit noisy. Recently undergoing a full blown renovation we paid extra attention to ensure our rooms were quiet. Please let me know the next time you'll be coming to the hotel and I'll ensure that we get you blocked in a great, quiet room.

thank you!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights, and wouldn't recommend it. This is a hotel of style over substance lacking the basic requirement for a hotel: a good night's sleep.

I could hear people above and around me intimately. On the second night, I complained, but the hotel was full, and had no reciprocal agreements with other hotels to move me. Plus someone used a manual hand vacuum to clean the floor outside my room at 11.30pm.

The day after checkout, I received an email from Craig (who replies to poor reviews on here) apologising and promising me a great quiet room if I came back. This suggests to me that they know they have a problem.

If you must stay here, insist on a quiet room. But simply put, this hotel is not worth the price. I had a better night's sleep at the Motel 6 in Beatty, Nevada

Room Tip: Insist on a quiet room and be prepared to complain if you don't get one
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the review. You are absolutely correct in saying that I answer all reviews that we receive. I am disappointed to read yours, especially after speaking with you upon checkout and via email. Your offer to stay with us is still on the table, but that doesn't have to do with us stating that it is an issue. As you see with our high hotel ranking in tripadvisor as well as dozens of positive reviews, we are very happy with our hotel. However it appears that you just weren't satisfied which is why we compensated you upon your departure as well as offered you another shot.
Please let me know the next time you're in the area, I would hate to have you stay in Nevada and commute.