“Very rude staff”

Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/Century Boulevard
Ranked #42 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I don't ask for much. I just want to be treated like a valued customer. Once it was my turn to check in the front desk clerk almost seemed to be going out of his way to not help me, i.e. taking calls, not talking to me, etc. He didn't even apologize. When I mentioned the obvious and asked him to help me, instead of being helpful, he upped the ante on being a jerk. I was busy and didn't talk to management because of my schedule but I would've if I had had more time. I even passed by him walking in the hallway later and he practically gave me the evil eye, even though he was the one who was out of line. Totally unacceptable, Marriott. Not coming back here. I will go where I am appreciated, and where they have better trained staff. Marriots always seem to vary a lot in terms of the quality of the staff.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Dvine1_Cali

Reviewed 30 April 2010

I honestly didn't expect much from this hotel for the price. It definately exceeded my expectations. My room was very clean and it seemed like it had been recently updated. I had a good sleep on the bed (most hotel beds are too hard!) For breakfast I tried the cafe/restaurant. They did my eggs exactly how I ordered them. When I went to check out I missed my shuttle but another one came soon after so I was not late for my flight. Overall great value here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2010

There are plenty of reviews already so I´ll keep it short. Free shuttle (the one for Courtyard NOT Marriott), quick, courteous check in, close to airport (but shuttle took a while stopping elsewhere thus removing any advantage of proximity to airport). The building is nothing special and neither was our room: clean and spacious but dated and slightly depressing. Reminded me of the CA state road system: in need of infrastructural reinvestment. And why do so many US hotels still use sheets and blankets instead of duvets? Beyond me. Breakfast was fine. Price overall too high. Surrounding area uninviting.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bicholisto
Reviewed 11 December 2009

There are at least 3 Marriott's near LAX, this one is Courtyard Marriott 6161 Century Blvd. Good price, walk from terminal one, old tube tvs, quiet, can't park your car, - no way - valet only. [ $18 ] No way to get a quick breakfast. It has a gym, no pool. - Marriott please explain: Why do you have a water fountain that sprays at 150 decibels? out front? it is absolutely ridiculous, no one can talk or think! Turn it off! It will not hide the jet noise. Bring ear plugs!
Next trip I will not choose this hotel. The Embassy Suites has far better rooms at a higher price. Radisson is even close to terminal one and the same price.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank dukegreg
Reviewed 13 October 2009

This was a good choice for a place to stay before an early flight. Room was clean and comfortable with free wifi. Nice bathroom for a big, long shower after a tiring drive. Only small issue was a high-pitched noise squealed intermittently. My husband guessed it was the smoke detector and pushed the button and the sound stopped for the duration of our sleep. It started again the next morning, but we didn’t care at that point.

Restaurant was so-so, so it may be worth your while to find a good restaurant. We were too tired from driving so we were stuck with the hotel restaurant. They have PCs with printers so easy to print out your boarding passes. Only one warning: their instructions for getting to the Alamo rental place are wrong. Doublecheck them against a map.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Stayed one night in late September at the rate of $169 + taxes. It’s a layover hotel and all the things you want in such a hotel are there. The shuttle works well. It’s extremely close to the airport (almost quicker to walk than go by shuttle if you are in the higher numbered terminals) and there are various food options in the vicinity. For example, there is a subway more or less next door.

The hotel itself is fine, the rooms comfortable (although, as others have commented, they have a ‘different’ layout with the closet acting as a room divider and the basin/vanity area being in the room rather than the bathroom) and the wifi works fine.

Do not have complimentary coffee in the lobby – which I thought was mandatory for a Courtyard.

I didn’t get a chance to explore the gym or other facilities and left before breakfast! I’d happily stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2009

If you need to stay near LAX, I don't think you could do better than this hotel. It's no frills, but really, if you do need to stay next to the airport, you probably aren't looking for any either. As others have mentioned, there are two Marriotts in the area. Best not to even call this one "Marriott." Just think of it as Courtyard Century Blvd (yes, a mouth full). Be clear on this when you get on the airport shuttle.

PROS:

LOCATION: I can't say for certain, but I think it might be the closest hotel to LAX. There is also a free shuttle that runs every 15 minutes or so. No problems getting to or from the airport. There are several eateries within walking distance.

LOBBY: Very nice. In fact, I was surprised at how comfortable it was. Maybe it's because the hotel is right off Century, you expect something else, but once you get inside, it's nice and quiet. Almost peaceful. They have a dining and bar area as well as business center with TWO computers, so no (or very little) waiting.

STAFF: Very friendly and helpful. No problems here.

ROOM: No frills, but a very nice design. I liked the fact that there is a little divider (also used as a mini closet), that sort of separates the sleeping area from the desk/chairs area. They also fitted in a love seat. The bed was very comfortable. No view, but again, I don't that would be of importance to anyone needing to stay next to the airport. Room was clean. Vanity area is outside the bathroom.

VALUE: We got our room for 79.00 plus tax. Great deal.

CONS:

NONE.

We will definitely stay here again if we need a place near LAX.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PBBear