“Totally different property from last year.”
Review of Royal Pagoda Motel

Royal Pagoda Motel
Ranked #156 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed here over a year ago. This year i decided to booked at the Royal Pagoda Motel again. This time, what a surprise. The property has been completely renovated. What a surprise. Rates aren't that much different from last year. However, the property has been totally renovated.

A ton more cable t.v. stations. Free internet and free parking. For a downtown location that's really good. I took the DASH bus that is right at the property right to Union Station and was able to Hollywood and Universal Studios.

I booked with Booking.com and had no problems with my reservations when I arrived.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rjames868
There are newer reviews for Royal Pagoda Motel

Reviewed 21 June 2011

To start, its too far from the nearest metro station, the phone didn't even work. my friend said his bed had bedbugs, and the people next door kept us up all night being rude and talking loudly on a cell phone out on the balcony and nothing was done about it. This place sucks.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank YEthanO
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Simply No Good! The cons really outweigh the pros.

I should have heeded people's warnings on the net. That same old man was really rude to us. He sounded like he was yelling at me at one point.

For whatever reason, the second keycard they gave us was not working and when we went down to the front desk to ask about it, the old man gave us an attitude. Very unprofessional!

The room was big enough but old and dingy looking. The bed sheets and blankets had cigarette burns and odd stains. The hardwood floor was nice, at least. Oh, and I did not see any bugs.

Location is perfect if you plan on going to Burbank (not too far via the highway) or lots of places in east LA area, like Chinatown (you're right in it!), Lil Tokyo, Downtown, Hollywood, etc. However if you want to go to the west LA area or the beaches, you'll be on the road for a while.

And another cool thing is we were right near the festivals and events. We heard and saw bike marathon right outside our window one night, and a few mornings later, we could hear drumming from a Chinese festival happening a few blocks away.

Parking is challenging and very squishy. There isn't enough parking spaces, so they squeeze you via parallel-style.

Price was $70 or something around there. Should have been lower. It is a motel. There is no security.

Some creepy man followed my friend and I to our room! Luckily we locked it quickly but he was knocking a minute after we closed the door. Then 2 minutes later, he was knocking again! Luckily he went away. Put simply, we could have been raped.

That was our last night staying there, but I definitely would have found somewhere else to stay after that night!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank MsJulicious
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I paid $30 to stay here for a night. It was late at night and I scored a deal on Priceline, so I said to myself "what the heck, let's try it".

The front-desk staff was indeed fairly rude and spoke little English, but I was in Chinatown so I thought of it as trying to get a place in China! The internet connection was somewhat iffy but worked out well at the end.

The room was fairly decent. Can't say it was cozy or plush but it was adequate for a night stay. I wouldn't bring a spouse or partner here for a romantic night, but as a solo traveler I found little to complain about.

Again, for $30, I found myself feeling pretty good :)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Synthetic
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Bad service!!! Rude people!! the chinnese guy was really mean didnt respect privacy came n banging & screaming to the door to move vehicle. He assigned you to parking then he interrupts you to move the vehicle !! & on the other guest rooms if u didnt open the door he would go inside your room theres no PRIVACY!! He was really rude & disrespectful!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Girlsjustwant2havefu
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I checked in and put my bags in my room after I left for the day when I returned my room was broken into and most items were missing. I called the police and they informed me they have many complaints about this problem.1/18/11

• Stayed: January 2011
4  Thank vegasjeeper
Reviewed 16 January 2011

If you are going to stay here, but expect the Rits Carlton..or even Holiday Inn. Its priced like a basic motel because thats what it is. However the staff is friendly. Its Chinese owned but they speak good English. Several nice restaurants within walking distance. The bus stop is across the street. Its also relatively clean.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends