“Disgusting”

Royal Pagoda Motel
Ranked #156 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This motel was absolutely horrible. When we got there the staff was rude and hardly spoke English, we asked if we could have an iron and they said we had to make a down payment of 25$ on it. The room was horrendously tiny and reeked of smoke. The bathroom was filthy, I had to wear flip flops in the shower because I was afraid to go in with my bare feet. It was so small, they was literally no room to walk. The pillow cases hasn't been washed and had stains all over them. The sheets too were dirty and spotted. It was a nasty, dingy, dirty place and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Absolutely disgusting.

• Stayed September 2012
7 Thank Bre S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The room may be a bit small, but it is clean and inexpensive. The room has a mini fridge, closet, and desk. There are plenty of restaurants in the area and parking is free. Excellent value and I never felt unsafe in the neighborhood. p.s. the old Chinese guy was not rude, maybe a little hard of hearing but never rude.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank michele l
SAN DIEGO
Reviewed 22 November 2012

The rooms are small and dated. The customer service is non-existent. However, for the price, it was what I anticipated. I was curious because of the Chinatown location and the Royal Pagoda's history. The Pagoda's "golden era" has long passed.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd floor to avoid some noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Thilmoe
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I discovered the Royal Pagota a few years ago, recommended by a friend..I have stayed there several times. As a former downtown resident, It is my only choice for affordable, clean accomodations...If you have experienced other los angeles motels in this price range, you are probably still recovering from the horror! The Royal Pagota is quiet, clean (always!), and offers the delights of Chinatown, as well as the downtown metro area. The management is efficient and provides quick, no-nonsense solutions to any issues one has regarding the room, amendities, visitor info, etc. I would recommend to my nearest and dearest!

Room Tip: I have been comfortable in every room Ive been given~ personally prefer those not parking lot adjace...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank deblee10
Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We could not get wifi in our downstairs room, so management moved us to the second floor and although the motel does not allow connection to facebook, we were able to get wifi and the room on the second floor was much nicer. The motel is a bit out of the way but we choose it as we wanted to be near public transport and in a safer part of Los Angles Downtown area. It is a 5 min walk to the train station and a stop to Union Station. There are bus stops right out the front and there is a nice bakery right in Chinatown square. The motel supplied free coffee in the lobby. Also a cold drink machine on-site. The bathroom is very small.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on second floor but there is no lift. You will have to carry your luggage up the s...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Robyn-and-Rob
Australia, sydney
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed there for 1 night, and got charged the 1 night AND an extra charge of 1024USD,the employee accidently charged my card!! He realised the mistake and refunded the 1024 back into my account. Unfortunately that mistake of himself/and the business resulted in a loss of 60USD for me (due to the exchange rate fluctuation, I live in UK).He offered no compensation.I went there as a customer in good faith,to get slammed with a unwillful charge on my card (its not like I bought something and changed my mind). They accepted no responsibility at all, incredibly unprofessional. I wish there was a tribunal I could contact about this. I spent 2 hours speaking to the owner Albert, to no avail. Him just denying and washing his hands of responsibility. A business ethic like that,doesn't deserve business goodwill. Good luck to those who decide to stay there, but I don't wish it upon anyone.
Just a note: No ones fault: Oh and my rental car, got dented by another driver overnight. very squishy car park. Lucky I had insurance.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank npiggles

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

new york
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed here over a year ago. This year i decided to booked at the Royal Pagoda Motel again. This time, what a surprise. The property has been completely renovated. What a surprise. Rates aren't that much different from last year. However, the property has been totally renovated.

A ton more cable t.v. stations. Free internet and free parking. For a downtown location that's really good. I took the DASH bus that is right at the property right to Union Station and was able to Hollywood and Universal Studios.

I booked with Booking.com and had no problems with my reservations when I arrived.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple