“Decent place to stay.”

Park Plaza Lodge Hotel
Ranked #125 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed one night for business. The major things I look for when traveling on a budget are costs of the room, free parking/wifi, good wifi, and a clean room. I was happy with all these except the wifi. It was decent wifi but slow at times - trouble loading pages. There was no iron in the room, but the front desk brought one up in a few minutes after my request. The building and room decor are a bit unique - felt like a flashback to the '70s. It was close to food, two shopping areas, and Cedars-Sinai. The price was definitely for the location and not the quality (but again, the quality was solid). Overall, this was a decent place to stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hunter R

Reviewed 13 November 2013

There are two reasons that this property gets 1 star. First, that is the lowest rating that can be given, and second, the location is great.

First, making a reservation has to be done by phone - not online. They screwed up the reservation and had us the night before we were supposed to be there - the date was set, as we were seeing a concert at the Greek theater and had already gotten tickets.

The person at the front desk informed us that we were a "no show", but we were there! She told us the manager would handle it in the morning and :not to worry, it happens all the time". We agreed to stay - kind of stuck otherwise! In the morning, the manager said that we didn't show up when we had booked the room for and would do nothing to help (even though we spent the night).

Now... the property itself. YUCK! The carpets are filthy and stained. Actually, everything felt dirty. Getting from the lobby to the room, is down a couple of steps, through and uneven walkway near the pool with very little lighting and into a dimly lit hallway with a laundry basket and vacuum cleaner left there.

The bottle of shampoo had a safety tape on it, but it was kind of squished up under the lid - like it was refilled and left for us. Gee - thanks for sharing. Ewww!

I kept my socks on, because I didn't want to be barefoot on the floor.

The room was near the pool (luckily it was cold, so no one was swimming). I mean right near the pool - maybe 10 feet away. The pool chairs were against our window.

We tried to turn the heat on, but it smelled like something dead was on fire inside. So we bundled up before going to sleep.

The free parking is great if you are on a motorcycle. It is very, very tight!

We have learned our lesson. NEVER again!!!

1  Thank Faith229
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel is the closest lodging to our son and daughter-in-law and probably the only place under $200 so we stayed here once last year and then again this year. Last year we had a room in what I would call the "annex" - a rectangular shaped building to the west of the main building where you check in. On the south side of this building is the pool, on the north side it is a sort of alley way with parking. Both times we got a room on the top floor. The first time was on the south side. It was a good size with a king size bed, was clean enough (though old) and though I wouldn't have wanted to stay here very long, it was adequate. This year we stayed in the same building but were given a room on the north side. The room was much smaller and the bed was a hotel queen (you know, smaller queen than you have at home). I don't know if they are still in the process of working on this room, but there is absolutely nothing on the walls. It is a stark white room. The bathroom was adequate, everything worked though the drain was a little slow and had a little back up. But the water pressure and temperature of the water were just fine. The fan in the bathroom works VERY well, it is super loud so be prepared for that, but it sure does work! Because I am a female who does her hair and make-up in the morning, I really prefer an area outside of the room with the shower and toilet but the ONLY mirror in the entire room is in the bathroom. And the fan is connected to the light so you have to put up with the loud fan while putting on make-up. The biggest faux pas in the bathroom was the placement of the light. They had a very nice-looking triple light fixture that was mounted on the wall to the SIDE of the mirror, which is above the sink. Who in the world would have planned such a thing? There was a really nice large round mirror that was placed too high on the wall above the sink and then they put the only light in the room on the wall to the left of that. If they had simply put the mirror lower (which really needs to happen to accommodate shorter women) there was plenty of room to put the light fixture above the mirror. Did no one think of how ludicrous it is to put a mirror to the side for make-up application? This may sound petty to men, but for a woman who uses make-up, it's important. The closet area is large enough and there is a counter area immediately outside of the bathroom. There is a small fridge but no microwave. There is a coffee maker but you had to hold the button in the "on" position for it to work (I reported that). No breakfast included but there is a restaurant on the south side of the pool. We did not eat there. To wrap this up, I found this hotel to be adequately clean but I think you need to be careful which room you get. I was not with my husband this year when he checked in and maybe they thought he was alone so they gave him the room that would be fine for a man who doesn't apply make-up. If you need to be in this area, just need a place to sleep and don't want to spend a fortune, then this place is adequate.
P.S. There is no website booking so I emailed but got no response. I had to call and had difficulty with the man's accent. There are no discounts like AAA, etc.

Room Tip: Inquire when you get there, ask to see the room/bathroom accommodation to see if it meets your needs...
3  Thank BritBorn
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed a couple of nights. I wanted a cheap safe spot near the Price is Right and that's what I got. They had decent service and the room was fairly clean with comfortable beds. Free parking was nice. Noise was a slight factor, though not too bad(though seemed like would be, if you faced west third. They had a pool, but it looked pretty gross. It's in walking distance to LACMA, La Brea tar pits, the farmer's market and CBS studios. It's also very close to Pan Pacific Park. There's a coffee bean right across the street and it's a convenient walk to Trader Joe's and Whole foods. I tried Fiddler's bistro for breakfast once and it was decent, but nothing special. Good for a night or two.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank MrSparkle_11
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I went to LA to visit my mother and chose this hotel mainly because of its closeness to her apartment. I was supposed to stay 5 nights there but because of the medical issue had to cut it short to one night only. The last minute change of reservation went smoothly when I mentioned the reason for it and they didn't charge me a penalty. I didn't expect much of this hotel based on what I read about it. While I stayed one night only and can't tell whether it would be okay to stay here longer here's my few observations. I asked for a room not facing West 3rd Street and they gave me one at the back of the building, which was quiet. The room was on the second floor and they have no elevator. My wife and I arrived earlier then their check-in time and as our room was not ready we left our luggage at the front desk. When we returned for a check-in later the luggage was already taken to our room. The room is fine. It's of a normal size, has two queen beds, which were comfortable to sleep in. The bathroom is not small and although the room looks basic and outdated at the first sight I think it serves the needs for an unpretentious stay. I forgot to mention there was a small fridge in the room and this hotel also has a free parking. They don't have TV Channels listing in the room but printed it out for me upon request. Judging from one night experience I will give it a try next time for a longer stay.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one not facing West 3rd Street.
2  Thank europetraveler39
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Location is very central for the LA area, which is nice. Our room was very large and sparse. Parking was fairly easy (more spaces in the back), and the free wi-fi was ok. This place is good for a very short (one night) stay only.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chr15t1n3
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Pluses are great location near the grove, acceptable bed comfort, nice bathroom Minuses are surfaces areas only are clean, forget about shades etc. , small room, minimal amenities. More like a one night motel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business