“You know something is wrong”

Comfort Inn & Suites Near Universal - N. Hollywood - Burbank
Ranked #131 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Eugene, Oregon
“You know something is wrong”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

when you arrive and the desk person is asleep in the lobby. Your instinct is confirmed when you receive your room key and it was from the Holiday Inn Express. When you asked about the elevator and was told "it's outside, behind the lobby," it added another measure of discomfort, particularly when it was behind doors that are apparently locked in the nighttime hours. Then you noticed the 'movie theatre' or 'bank tellers' window between the lobby and the elevator doors. WOW, where am I?

After driving 475 miles and being tired we decided to venture up to our 3rd floor room. Large enough, but unlike other Comfort Suites (we had stayed at a Comfort Suites in Sacramento the night before- fine place), no Fridge or microwave and a carpet that may not have been cleaned in 20 years. We dared not try the breakfast.

Fortunately, we had not prepaid for our 5 nights so we escaped the next morning to a Marriott Suites in Burbank.

Are there worse places? Probably, but this is pretty far down the list.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank efband

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Worth, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I have to admit that when I drove up to this hotel I was making a mental note of other hotels I had driven by in case I needed to stay at them - I think I drove by three or four adult bookstores on the way from the Burbank Airport . . . most of the buildings nearby are not in good condition and the whole area is dingy . . .

The lady that was supposed to check me in was a lot more interested in talking with her friends on the phone and took two fairly long phone calls during the 10 minutes I was standing in front of her . . . when she finished the last one I had to remind her that she was checking me in . . .

That said, though, the hotel itself is fine for the one night stop over I am doing - but if you have a family or like to go out after dark this is probably not the place for you . . .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank raffin
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed at this motel for 3 nights so we could spend 2 full days at Universal Studios which are less than 5 miles down Lankershim Blvd. (no need for the freeways). The staff was very friendly, our room was clean, and the breakfast area was roomy and more than adequate. They served hot eggs, sausage, waffles, and the usual assortment of cereals, fruit, etc. A stack of complimentary Wall Street Journal was at the front desk every morning. Parking is inside under the motel with some degree of security since the office is at the street entrance to the parking area. Lankershim Blvd. has a wide variety of restaurants within a few blocks of the motel. A Burger King and a large grocery store are directly across the street. We would certainly stay here again if we were in the area. There is an indoor pool which we did not use.

Room Tip: We asked for a got a room on the top floor in the back away from busy Lankershim Blvd.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Phil P
Walnut, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

We want to stay over from our Hotel were we stay but no available room at that time. They refer us to this Comfort Inn. The rate is very reasonable & the location is not that far from Universal. Free parking & breakfast too.

Room Tip: Rooms in this Hotel is clean from the moment you open the door
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexandra p
San Marcos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Comfort Inn near Universal Studio's on October 31st. We arrived earlier than the 3:00PM check in time, but were allowed to check in on arrival. The room was Clean and larger than expected for the rate we received on the hotel web site. There is a large grocery store across the street and plenty of fast food and regular restaurants in the area. The hotel is 3 miles from Universal Studio's and City Walk where we planned to visit for "Fright Night". Breakfast was adequate and filling with everything necessary. We would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We could not make a reservation for this hotel on any of the travel web sites but had no problem on...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

This is one hotel I wouldn't return to. The front desk staff are indfiferent. They NEVER give you enough towels. Even when you rent a suite room, they only leave you three towels. All three nights we had to ask for more towels. It isn't the cleanest and my son woke up with bed bug bites all over his back after sleeping on the pullout sofa. If you have a problem at this hotel it takes a small miracle to get anyone to do anything about it. The maid barged into the room in the morning while we were still there even though we told her we weren't ready for her---she barged in anyhow and just started cleaning. Maybe she didn't speak english, I don't know. Then when my husband went back to the room later to retrieve something we forgot...she didn't even look up from cleaning the bathroom. Anyone could've walked in and stolen something because she didn't even look up when he walked in. Don't stay here. Find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Pool is smaller than my living room. Small!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mndawn63

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

My family stayed here for three nights in August. If you travel outside of rush hour, you'll be in central Los Angeles or West Hollywood in 20 minutes.It's a little bit off the beaten path, and in no way a "hip" area, and therein lies its character.
Across the street there is a shopping plaza, and a large grocery store that caters mostly to Mexican folks. I went in there several times for various things (including some tasty bakery treats) and people there were friendly. There's a CVS pharmacy a couple blocks away, and the legendary In & Out Burger is represented about four blocks south. Across the street is a Burger King and a McDonald's is abut 2 blocks north.
Now, I read a review here were someone wrote they ate at the McDonald's and scurried back. Ummm, ok....this is not the kind of McDonald's you might visit in Ames, Iowa or some suburb where everything is squeaky clean.
The neighborhood is working class, a bit gritty, perhaps, but if some reviewers think of the area as "ghetto", as one person wrote, I would say, dear sir, you are quite paranoid.
In the day, you see all kinds of people out. Single women at bus stops, moms with kids and strollers, etc. At night, you're not going to see so many people walking around, And because it's a major city, you obviously want to always be aware of your surroundings.
One of the great things about L.A. is the food trucks. Every night, one parked at the shopping center across the street. My wife and two of our kids walked from the hotel to the truck a couple of times and came back with great tasting food that was cheap. I swear, I'd stay in this hotel again just to hit up that food truck every night. They had the best tacos I had in L.A.
One night around 9 pm I had to walk to the CVS pharmacy a couple of blocks way. Would I want my wife to do that? No, of course not, but that's common sense. I walked it and didn't ever feel threatened. but I grew up in Chicago and I'm not going to think I'm in danger if I see a cigarette butt in the curb or see a homeless guy nodding off on a bus stop bench.
Parking was never an issue. One reviewer wrote you had to leave your keys with the front desk or some kind of parking valet, but that wasn't my experience.
I found the area quite interesting. it is not the glitzy L.A. of the Strip, or as cool as West Hollywood. Walking around the area in the morning, I found mostly small, modest homes of working class folks. There's no cool clubs or coffeeshops. In other words, the yuppies haven't got to it yet and it's authentic.
The rooms were clean, spacious, a good spot to sleep for the night, or just put the TV on and zone out. No noise from the streets drifted in. Breakfast was a lot better than other similar hotels I have stayed in. Eggs, waffles, fruit, muffins, yogurt, juice, coffee...
I'd suggest at night, go out to the pool area. Pull up a plastic chair, have a glass of wine and chill. Watch the neighborhood, the cars going by, the people coming away from the taco truck, the shoppers at Superior Grocers. This is a part of L.A. that most visitors don't see. It's a good value.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Portofino Inn Burbank
#13 of 20 in Burbank
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Near Universal - N. Hollywood - Burbank? Share your experiences!