“An oasis for nature”

35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“An oasis for nature”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

An oasis for wildlife in the midst of so much concrete and well worth a few hours for anyone interested in nature. It almost ended up as an extension to the concrete of Marina del Rey, but was saved by activists and is now being slowly restored as a wetland area.

We were not in town at the right time to attend any of the organised tours, but spent about three hours slowly walking the paths. As a reward we saw green herons, egrets and white-tailed kite as well as many others that we, not being Americans, did not immediately recognise.

During the whole time we saw only three other people.

As an aside, there are signs advising that insect repellent be used because of the risk of mosquitos, so be sure to bring some.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Arderyth

Venice Beach
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A relaxing and informative tour in nature”
Reviewed 28 September 2007

I live in Venice, CA and saw a listing for the walking tour in one of the local newspapers (the salt water 2 hour tour). Having no other plans I decided to go. The tour guide, Robert (or Roy), was friendly, very relaxed and very knowledgable. I learned so much (which I've already forgotten!). I went by myself but very quickly felt like I was walking through the wetlands with distance relatives (in a good way). It was pretty cool to go through the locked fences, like having a backstage pass to the wetlands. There were so many rare birds around that day that our tour actually lasted 3 and 1/2 hours (you could leave earlier if you wanted to). I'm not a person who's attention span can always last that long, but I was having a great time. I think this tour is only every 2nd Sunday of the month (check the website). Tip: they do pass out Binoculars and set up a good pair on a tripod for the special birds, but if you have a really good pair then bring those!

If you want to do something low-key and outdoors this is a great tour. Check the weather before you come - somtimes it's much colder by the beach!

4 Thank christamcc