“Just what it should be.”

InterContinental Los Angeles Century City
Ranked #10 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I actually can’t fault this hotel. It’s clearly a business hotel, opposed to a family or holiday type place. It’s functional and a little faded around the edges. But that appealed to me. It used be a Marriot (I think) so much of the fittings have been inherited. There are scuff marks and tired furnishings. But these made me feel more relaxed for some reason. The location is an odd one. Neither good nor bad really, it’s central for Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, The Beach, Culver and LAX too. From the airport it was 30mins in a cab. Perfect after a long flight. The mall, which is not 20mins walk away…more like 10. Is pretty good if you need to stock up on the usual things. It has Bloomingdales and Macys…which is a slight overkill. The supermarket under the AMC cinema is great. And there are several places to eat including the trashy Pink Taco.
Beyond that you need a car or cab to get to Beverly Hills, which is really only 1 mile away…but too far to walk. There is nothing else around. And this is the other great thing about this hotel; it’s so quiet. I mean really peaceful. Just perfect. The pool was heated, but a little cool. But it’s quiet and barely used. It was kept clean, tidy with loads of loungers and towels. The gym was smart too. The rest of the amenities including the restaurant were very good. Slightly over priced but the food and service were actually exceptional. The one time I had room service, for the first time ever, the fries that arrived were too hot to eat! Amazing.
So, the room. I was offered a king or 2 doubles. Took the king…it had an amazing open balcony with fabulous views up to the Hollywood sign (a long way away) and across the city. The loungers and table were a little tired …but as you barely ever get balconies in good hotel rooms…who cares. In the room the bed was comfy, the bathroom was huge and clean. The free coffee machine worked wonders at 6am…and it was all cleaned without problem everyday.
I would stay here again. And if you are comparing to the Hyatt, these are too different types of hotel. The Hyatt has a famous bar and pool scene; so attracts a lot more noise and fuss. That’s just not what I wanted.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank AnotherUnitedKingdom

Reviewed 16 July 2009

I booked through Hotwire at a great rate. The hotel was about a 20 minute walk to century city mall, and wasn't near much of the happening area. This could be a good thing or bad thing depending on the person.

Good Things:
I liked the fact that it was a quiet hotel. Valet was very quick and efficient. Very comfortable beds, good size room. Bathroom towels/linens were clean, and loved the separate shower and tub.

Bad Things:
Knowing I was 1 person, I got a room with 2 doubles. When asked to switch rooms to a King it became a lot of hassle for them. After going into 2 rooms (that apparently was only available) that smelt like smoke, I opted to stay in the 2 Double Bed room. This hotel I believe is supposed to be smoke free.
Bellhops are pretty bothersome, trying to take your luggage even when you say you're fine.
The pool area, although beautiful and comfortable, is in an area where you get high winds. It is therefore an area that ends up being cold, so you can't enjoy sitting outside by the pool. It's VERY chilly on a hot day. Maybe when it goes into the high 90's and above it won't be as bad. I was there during mid 80's where Santa Monica Beach was hotter.

Even though I had a lot of bad things, I might stay again. I guess it depends on price. The room itself was fabulous, the front desk could have been more accommodating. I'm hoping that if I end up staying here again, I will have a better experience. Just to finalize this all, I've been to the Hyatt down the street which is a great hotel and probably prefer that over the Intercontinental when it comes to the pool area. It is, however more of a family hotel and louder than the Intercontinental. Intercontinental also does have more of a luxurious feel than the Hyatt Century City Plaza.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Roxii
Reviewed 21 June 2009

the hotel is fairly nice, the rooms are somewhat in the small size, but the hotel is in a good location near Westfield shopping center (three blocks away-a walking distance). there is a 35 dollar a night parking fee

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MONTES
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Stayed here on Priceline for a very low rate... so I definitely got my money's worth. The hotel looks fancy from Ave. of the Stars and the large lobby, with all the fresh cut flowers and soaring glass ceiling, is very impressive. The rooms are not large, not small, but probably last decorated about 10 years ago. They're well-kept and clean, except for the lumpy, spring beds. A/C is hard to program (thermostats have been used incorrectly) and a little loud. Definitely subpar for a 4-star hotel.
On the plus side, we were treated really well even though we were staying for less than 50% of the rated listed online. Parking is only valet, and that will set you back $33 plus tax. We opted to park several blocks away in a residential area, which was inconvenient but worked out well. The business center staff was a little less than friendly, and they charge you $7.50 for 20 minutes online... a little steep.
Loved the location, in Century City, 5 minutes to B. Hills and Westwood and 10 to the 405. Would definitely go back for the low rates... which should continue to exist until they finally model the hotel... it's definitely a trip back to 1989 as it stands now.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We got an awesome deal on Hotwire. The room was top notch as was the service. Actually, the service was almost too good! Our car was swarmed with people helping us unload when we arrived. But, as soon as I said "I have it," they were fine. And, when I realized I forgot my cell phone in the car while checking in, the person at the front desk immediately said "don't worry, we'll get it" and 5 minutes later they delivered it to the room. The room was wonderful - spacious and clean. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower and great Elemis products.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelingLonghorn
Reviewed 29 May 2009

A visiting friend came in from Atlanta for a much needed vacation and got an excellent deal on this hotel....It is smack in the middle between LAX, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills-Hollywood and Downtown...He didn't drive ( a sin in LA but he is a New Yorker) but was able to get around to his vacation destinations via cab/bus and sch

Now I know West LA and I can say it is hard to find a good solid hotel at a decent price...
I like Century City but in this are you have a Lackluster Holiday Inn Express, A small roomed medicorce Courtyard, and TOO BIG trying so hard Century Plaza...all all usually run you $200 but I know you can get a deal on this place on hotwire/pricline if you look

The Pros: The ROOM: If you love lots of light and window, this place will suite you with their floor to ceiling windows. Spacious Desk. The bed looked comfy.Bathroom was large with a separate tube from shower ++++BALCONIES...if you smoke every room in this place has a balcony which is hard to find in LA..The only other I know in this are is the Sheraton Delfina. I liked how the bed was not the first thing you saw when you walked into the room ( ie, away from hallway and bathroom blocked having to hear people or maids). Plus, it just makes the room feel bigger...my friend loved that they had lounging robes for him.

If you are Middle Eastern/Arab...they adore you. Okay this is just an inference to the 4 or five television channels they had available...Oh and the hotel is also CLOSE to UCLA..I would recommend it for a stay if you are visiting someone there.

FOOD/SHOPPING: You are close to the Westfield Century City Mall...and restaurants. my friend said their food court was gourmet and delicious. You are also quite close the Beverly Center where we went to Dinner at the Grand Lux (YUMMY) (The Sofitel is ok but I think I preferred this one for a West LA location base if you don't HAVE to be in Santa Monica). The hotel does have a quaint little bar but I didn't really check out the facilites

When I walked in the hotel was quiet..now this is sorta an industry/biz area so it would make sense that is wouldn't be crazy busy on the weekend unless it has shopping ladies.

CONS: They only have valet which runs 30 or so a night but they do charge less for visits which is nice...Some places in Hollywood ( see my Ramada review) are $30 no matter how long you stay. After you park, it is straight up to the room...no crazy 20 minute walk to your room elevators like downtown la hotels. When I went to get my car it took a bit longer then I expected

BE WARNED: You could miss the hotel from the street...I did miss the small entrance the first time around. If you want a busy/happening hotel this is not for you...but for people staying in the area it is the best of the choices...

Cheers, Bella

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank pulgadelmundo
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I liked the location of this hotel and first impressions were good - check in was swift and we were upgraded to lovely suite - front desk at this point were delightful! Arrived quite late at night and wanted to grab something quick to eat in the hotel restaurant - food a bit fancy for our liking so we ordered room service and were able to grab burgers and grilled cheese (comfort food after a long flight when you're starving). Food arrived promptly, was well presented and tasty.

Hotel has valet parking - no problems with this - car always ready for us if we called down 10 mins before setting out. Hotel within walking distance to Westfield Century City Mall and, if you're energetic, walking distance to Rodeo Drive, Beverley Hills. LA is a car city and we found the hotel to be a good location for visiting Universal Studios, Griffiths Observatory, Getty Museum, Santa Monica - generally car journeys were about 30 mins allowing for traffic.

Hotel has a nice outdoor pool area with a hot tub. Pool a good size with towels provided.

My only negative experience of this hotel was at check-out when the member of staff was extremely rude and disrespectful - she treated me like I was inconviencing her as I was checking out and when I requested copies of my final bills (there were 2 rooms). After check out she very insincerely quoted the "I hope you enjoyed your stay at ... I hope you return soon" etc speech - I wish I'd said something to her at the time about her attitude. I later found out she had refunded the wrong credit card despite my clear instructions as to which card I wanted money returned to - I just knew she wasn't listening to me at the time!

It's a shame that the attitude of one desk clerk can sour a persons overall experience of what is fundamentally a good choice for LA.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Downtown
Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza

Been to InterContinental Los Angeles Century City? Share your experiences!