“Great Value!”

Ranked #24 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great Value!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Brand new place and very nice accommodations. Everything modern and fresh. The pool area is perfectly aligned for the sun and is out of the wind. Great free breakfast is a plus! Located across the street from all the action at LA Live and close to good restaurants.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I really like this hotel.

I'm sitting by the pool in a luxurious screened in chair on top of three pillows. Awesome.

The rooms are nice and new. I found a pubic hair in the shower which was a surprise but other than that it was clean. I love that the hotel is new so they don't use massive amounts of disgusting air fresheners. I have asthma and those kill me (and smoke and mold!) so I try to stay at new hotels to avoid those bad smells. This one was really good. No obnoxious air fresheners, no mold, no smoke.
Our bathroom has a cool modern shower but the door doesn't stay closed and water gets all over the floor. This is a potential mold problem waiting to happen. Please fix that!

The staff is great. We checked in late at night and I had to see some rooms before deciding on one because of my asthma and environmental issues. Dmytri was awesome. Walked us around and showed us several rooms. Never lost his patience with me when I asked to go back and forth several times, even between floors. Lol. The girls at the front were very nice and understanding of my issues too, which is rare.

I love the RI lounge. Breakfast was just ok but the lounge is amazing. Lots of windows and light and cool funky music everywhere in the hotel keeps you in a good mood. Beautiful lounge area. No coffee all day though, like most RI. They pack it up after breakfast. We were told at check in that breakfast ends at 9:30. Went down with my daughter at 9:15 and found out they close at 9. No big deal as the kitchen staff were very sweet and told us to take our time and get some food. Sweet.

The pool area is very nice. My only complaint here (and this is one reason for loss of one star, plus the $38.00 valet parking!) is that the pool is cold. And totally shaded until the afternoon. I guess there isn't much to do about that because of the high rise blocking sun. It would be nice if there was a hot tub for morning people. It's just too chilly and shady to hang out there until at least 12:00, maybe even 12:30. I also kept getting whiffs of sewage by the pool and wasn't sure where it was coming from. I felt like it was the water?

$38.00 valet parking. Insane. I hate valet parking because we always forget stuff in our car and like to be able to run back and get things. Makes it difficult. Plus all the tipping every time they have to get the car gets to be a bit much.

Didn't stay long enough to evaluate housekeeping.

Poked my head into the exercise room and it smelled kind of funky in there. But looked nice.

Here is my suggestion, for what it's worth:
Residence inn, you should reserve aside at least 5-10 rooms that are certified "pet free" for those with environmental issues. One on each floor? I not only have pet allergies, but I have sensitivity to chemicals. The fact that rooms are bombed for fleas after each visit pretty much makes it impossible for me to stay at pet friendly hotels. I've had seizures in the past from insecticides. The only reason I was able to stay here is because the hotel is brand new and no pets had been in this room. It's sad that I can never stay in a hotel with a kitchen because they all allow pets, and don't reserve any rooms aside for allergic guests. I don't understand why having a few pet free rooms is so difficult but apparently it's just too Difficult for hotels to do. I don't get that at all. Just because you're pet friendly doesn't mean pets need to be in every single room. Just my two cents. Hope it's heard before the place becomes overrun by pets and all of the rooms become uninhabitable for me. Id love to come back here and not get assaulted by pet smells and all the toxic chemicals that go along with hiding it. Just saying!

Overall This is a nice hotel and has been a good experience so far.

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Beachy K
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wonderful. Clean, nice rooms. Comfortable bed. Big sitting areas, kitchenette, nice bath room. Lovely coffee bar in lobby. Quiet at night. This is a great gem right next door to the JW Marriott and Ritz, which is next to LA Live. Wonderful, helpful staff too.
I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank sarahandaj
So Cal
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Seeing that this was a brand new hotel, decided to give it a try. I frequent the jw across the street so I was a bit hesitant to give up the luxuries there. Unlike other residence inns, there is only valet parking at $38 per night. No self parking options but that is to be expected since it is literally right at the staples center. There are public parking nearby that advertise low day prices but that is only for day parking and no overnight parking. Also this residence Inn does not have evening hors d'oeuvres so make sure you have dinner plans. There are also no water bottles in the room. Room is nice and modern. Very quiet and comfortable. Now to find a market.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank NeedTeddy
erik p, General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay to our hotel. You are right...... being in the L.A. LIVE destination we opted to offer valet parking servicesonly but kept are rates competitive with the market and lower than the JW. Being we are footsteps away from 14 amazing restaurants our early feedback was to not offer a social hour as guests would prefer to go explore the area. Glad you enjoyed our rooms product as we put lots of effort into creatively designing them to ensure the guest experience was over the top. Hope to see you back for another visit.
norfolk va
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed there on days 8-12 of it being open. Very nice hotel. Modern, yet comfortable. Had to get used to using the key to access the elevator and breakfast room. Our room was a great size (we were two people and had 2 Queen beds) about double the size of a normal hotel room. We didn't use the stove but there was one and fully stocked with plates/glasses, etc. The free breakfast offered was great - hot, cold, cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc. Something for everyone. Great setting too. Very comfortable and hip. Loved the personal TVs in the seating area. We were in LA to tour colleges in the area and were coming and going all day. The valet guys were great - very quick with the car - and it was easy to access the highway. The location of the hotel across from LA LIVE was fun - we timed it perfectly both times we went over to get there after the sporting events were well over. I can imagine that it would've been more crowded earlier but we got lucky. Overall great experience. Would stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SmartmouthNorfolk
Roseville, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel just opened up at the beginning of June. I stayed there for a confrence that was taking place at the JW Marriott next door. As the JW was booked up, I stayed across the street at the Residence Inn and was very happy I did. Not only was the price better, but the room and hotel was top shelf. The room was very spacious with a modern design that was very functional. My stayed was only 2 nights, but it would have been comfortable for multiple weeks if necessary due to the full kitchen and spacious living quarters. For being in downtown LA, I didn't hear any car noise what so ever.

On top of getting a great room in downtown LA, the Residence Inn includes free breakfast that was delicious. The staff was very friendly and food options was expansive. My favorite part was the included Naked smoothie crafts included with the drink selections.

The only downside I see was the $38 per night for the valet only parking. If I were to stay again, I'd park across the street at the $8 per day parking lot.

Great job Residence Inn, you knocked this hotel out of the park.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business