“A Dump” 1 of 5 bubbles

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“A Dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I guess if you are huge into TV and Movies, you might get a bit more out of a visit to "Hollywood" than I did, but essentially what it looked like to me was a few blocks of kept up 'venue' otherwise plucked down in a sea of misery and despair similar to what any particular war zone would look like. The touristy area was - filled with tourists - ... in addition to dudes dressed up as Spiderman, Darth Vader, etc.; looking for a few quick bucks if you were gullible enough to get your pictures taken with them, along with the homeless folks too lazy to dress up as a character to try and get your money. Combine that with tour companies / reps seemingly located every 100 feet asking you to go on a tour with them; graffiti, barbed wire wrapped overhead freeway signs on the exits to the area, trash piled along side the roadways, all provided a grand welcome.

We parked in the underground parking structure at Hollywood & Highland, and made it out safely without getting our vehicle broken in to unlike some others who've posted reviews of the area on the internet.

Whenever this area is shown on TV for whatever awards ceremony is happening, it is made up to look like the second coming of heaven! They all need to be paid more than triple what they make, because they literally "put lipstick on a pig" over and over and over ... coat by coat by coat.

The only good thing about our visit to Hollywood is that it is something else that can be checked off of my 'bucket list' as different places to visit across the USA.

Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Less glamorous than I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Positives: shopping, the culture, restaurants.
Negatives: People hassling you to buy their CD.

It was so cool being in Hollywood, it looks exactly like I have seen from pictures and movies. But I did not enjoy constantly being hassled for money from people trying to sell me various things.

Visited November 2013
Venice, California
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Historic Hollywood Blvd.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

No where in Los Angeles disappoints visitors as much as Hollywood Blvd. Expecting to see the glamor of the movies, what they find are seedy souvenir shops, homeless people and crowds of other tourists. It's a pretty awful street -- nothing like the historic Hollywood Blvd. of my youth (now I'm dating myself) filled with bookstores, elegant shops and so on. It used to be a real neighborhood. Now it's a tacky destination. HOWEVER, if you're a visitor to Los Angeles, especially if you've come from far away, you really can't miss Hollywood. Here are THREE tips on what not to miss: (1) Chinese Grauman Theatre - yes, you've got to go for the handprint and footprints of the stars. But try to go INSIDe - go see a movie. The interior is just amazing. For that matter, Hollywood Blvd. is home to more than one Movie Palace of the golden ages. Check out El Capitan and the Egyptian as well. That will give you a sense of the glory of days gone by! (2) The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel -- the very first Academy Awards was held here! It's still a fabulous property. And it's haunted. Ask the concierge for the hand-out on the history of famous ghosts here. Have a drink or a meal and wander the public spaces. (3) Musso and Franks -- the oldest restaurant in Hollywood and it hasn't changed a lot, including (I think) the original waiters. A fabulous bar, a dining room that allows you to reminisce about the famous people who gathered here. (4) Yamashiro's -- just above Hollywood - nothing to write home about with regard to the food, but the restaurant has an interesting history and you can have a drink and look down on the rest of L.A.

So, prepare to be horrified by the general appearance of the Blvd., but if you've had a drink at each of the destinations I've suggested, you'll be looking at it through rosy (and historic) glasses.

Visited June 2014
8 Thank Debra K
Kuwait
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Hmm.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Well you can see the sign from this outdoor mall balcony that is crowded and try to get a picture from far away. I believe you can get closer but not sure on that so we only saw from here. But it is an icon and I can say I have been there, done that. I have to put a date so I put July 2013, but it was actually back in 2007. My inlaws live in LA so they took us there. I was really disappointed with the whole thing it never is the way TV makes it seem.

Visited July 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
116 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“famous name than it is”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

It is Hollywood. Actually there is nothing to much to see around. You will walk in the basement of fames, take look at the Kodak and off course take a picture of red carpet which is always there under protection:)) There are Hollywood tours if you would like to join but I have no idea about what's included.

Visited May 2014