“Amazing”

Ranked #141 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Amazing”
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I travel for work constantly and to have a comfortable place to stay while away from home is so important. O hotel is amazing. From their service, to their food and everything in between they are great! For starters generally parking at hotels in DTLA you're looking at $31-$40 per night even as a quest at the hotel. O hotel uses a parking structure connected to the building for $12. Very easy access. The rooms are great, comfortable bed, and very modern design. My particular favorite part was the shower! Amazing water pressure and finally a hotel that has enough shampoo and conditioner to be useful. The shampoo and conditioner is incredible,I forgot my brush that day and after using the hair product's I got many compliments on the volume and shine! They also have great extra's like happy hour, continental breakfast, and full access to Golds gym including classes.

I'll end with my other favorite. You know how after a long day and you're nice and comfortable in bed, finishing up work or reading. Then you realize you've turned on lights in the room when you came in. Well there is a great little square of switches right beside the bed that controls the rest of the room, you don't have to get up out of your nice comfy spot!! Oh this simple things! I will be staying here for all future travel to DTLA!!

Angela S.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Angela W
Erin_O_Hotel, Director of Sales at O Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Hello Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay at The O Hotel. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it! We're looking forward to welcoming you back to The O on your future trips. Next time, I'll be sure to send you home with some mini bottles of those Bee Kind bath products. Our guests love it!

Director of Sales + Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
United States
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This is a review of The O Hotel's bar and restaurant. It's tucked away in the part of Flower Street that makes it difficult to just come across it while walking down town, but it's an interesting little place nonetheless. Think of it as a hotel lobby that is a diner. The ambiance is somewhat unique but fitting for a boutique hotel.

I tried the grilled mushroom sandwich and mac and cheese, and they were quite good. The pricing is also very reasonable for what and where it all is.

Sadly, the variety in the menu left quite a bit to be desired. It's a very small menu with very few options, and you can't expect to have it your way.

If I do return, it'll be for items noted above. A more expansive menu would make this well worth going to more often.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Hello,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your review of our restaurant, Bar | Kitchen. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal as well as the ambiance.

We offer a seasonal menu that, while small, is focused on fresh ingredients. We change the menu four times every year to coordinate with the seasons. The Winter Menu was actually just launched last week, and is being featured on the current DIneLA Restaurant Week menu. I hope you'll take the opportunity to try some of these new items. The short rib grilled cheese is a personal favorite.

Director of Sales + Marketing
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We stayed here since it was reasonable and close to the Nokia theater-walking distance actually. The front desk people were extremely nice and courteous. The rooms are small, but for one night it was fine. We did not use air, but left the window slightly open even though it faced a brick wall. It would be nice to have had another curtain than only a blackout one. Bathroom is small-reminds me of European style bathrooms. No counter space. But shower was nice and hot, once you figured out the wand. Bed was comfortable. Wish they did not charge the $12 service charge, but the bottled water was was included in that as was the continental breakfast. Bagels, cereal, pastries, fruit, juice and coffee were available.

Room Tip: Floor above 4th was creaky. Ask for the 5th floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay. I'm happy to report that, though it has taken a couple of months to do so, we are installing sheer curtains in every room beginning at the end of this month.
I'm happy to hear that the front desk team was friendly and helpful, and that you were able t take advantage of the proximity to all of the entertainment options in the area.

Sales + Marketing Director
Calgary
Reviewed 1 December 2012

The pros of this hotel are:
- great location in downtown L.A. within short walking distance to L.A. Live, shopping, the metro and great restaurants
- continental breakfast included but you are forced to pay a mandatory $12 per day for incidentals such as going to the Gold's gym a block away, breakfast, "free" wi-fi
- the lobby is trendy and well decorated
- a Ralph's grocery store is 100 metres walk away so easy access to cheap liquor and food.
- great showers
- the hotel staff are very friendly, hard working and accomodating

The cons of the hotel:
- very poorly designed and laid out rooms which means you feel very cramped, are tight for space and have very little storage space to put your belongings; the bathrooms are tiny and cramped with no place to hang a towel except over the rack over the toilet which is not exactly hygienic. There is no bathroom counter space for makeup stuff or toiletries. The hair dryer has no power or heat.
- the rooms are getting a lot of wear and tear and are showing their mileage with banged up cabinets.
- the rooms get very hot even with no heating on; we had to leave the windows open at night to get air in and not suffocate
- no fan in the bathroom so when someone takes a shower, the entire room becomes muggy and steamy
- the bathroom is tiny
- only a single person or a couple could stay here; the rooms are too small and cramped otherwise.
- my husband "lost" his wedding ring in our room. We aren't sure what happened but can't prove any theft occured but it is very strange nonetheless.
- the view is of a brick wall of the hotel next door

If you can get a deal to stay here (less than $100 - 120 USD per night), consider staying here. Otherwise, try to stay at the Westin Bonaventure hotel a few blocks away for better value and experience.

Room Tip: Floors on the 5th (top) floor near the back are quieter; are away from busy Flower Street.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Erin_O_Hotel, Director of Sales at O Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Hello,

I'd like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay. I am happy to hear you you found our location, staff and amenities helpful and accommodating. We take pride in knowing that our staff is dedicated to the happiness of our guests.

This hotel was built in 1925, and as a historic building, certain renovations, including the room size, were not able to be accomplished when renovating in 2007. As such, we like to make the most of the space we do have, by offering as many modern amenities as possible (flat screen televisions, extremely comfortable bedding, iPod docks, wifi, etc.). Our rooms average 250 square feet, and while not huge by any means, we generally find that our guests are quite happy with the feeling of "home" that our hotel provides.

We do offer upgraded street view rooms - the Flower Rooms - that are available at a modest upgrade rate. Should you choose to stay with us again, I would be happy to accommodate an upgrade for you at no additional charge. Please feel free to reach out to me at erin@ohotelgroup.com with any further questions or comments.

Again, I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us. We are constantly improving and adjusting our offering based on guest feedback such as this.

Warm Regards,

Marketing and Sales Director
Belgrave, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We chose the O Hotel based on previous reviews although when i checked back in with Trip Advisor I was concerned about the most recent reviews that were negative. We stayed 2 nights. The first night we reported that our air-con didnt work. The rooms heat up dramatically over night. To our disappointment the issue was not fixed so we spent two nights with interrupted sleep and there are simply not enough positives about this hotel to make up for this fact alone. We also didnt have a functioning clock/radio/ipod dock which remained non operational the whole trip despite us reporting it. The breakfast is very basic and the car park adjacent will charge you each time you take your car out unless you buy the $20 ticket that allows you to come and go every 24 hours; (something the hotel should mention to guests). We have been told by "Chris" that our service charges have been removed given the service items werent attended to. I will wait to see our credit card bill before commenting further on this point......all in all it was a disappointing experience from start to finish

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rik R
Hello,

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your review, and to apologize for any miscommunication on our part regarding the issues you experienced during your stay.

Unfortunately, we do not own or operate the parking garage next door (or any parking garage), and while we do try to maintain a working relationship with the management there, we do not have the ability to adjust parking charges. Again, my apologies if you felt the communication regarding parking charges was inaccurate.

We do make every effort possible to fix any mechanical issues in your room, or to relocate you when possible. I can't say for certain why this didn't happen during your stay, but I am happy to hear that Chris was able to offer a solution for you. If, for some reason, you find the service charge was not removed from your bill, please feel free to reach out to me directly at erin@ohotelgroup.com so that I may resolve the issue for you.

Marketing and Sales Director

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed 21 November 2012

This "boutique hotel" is best for one person or a young couple. My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate my birthday and spend time in the city, and we found the accomodations to be sufficient but not much more. The decor of the lobby is hip and the rooms are clean, modern (a previous customer used the word "austere") and on the small side. The location is excellent and we found the staff to be pretty friendly.

As many users have pointed out, the bathrooms are somewhat cramped and awkwardly designed and the floor does get wet from showering. The sink area is narrow, which makes it difficult to place things out for freshening up/getting ready. If the hotel could make any improvements, this is where they should start. The doorway of the rooms could be narrower, providing more room for the bathrooms to be expanded.

The bedding is really comfy and they provide ample pillows and an extra duvet in each room. The windows are large, though I wish the curtains had an extra layer for filtering light in without letting people outside see into the room.

The amenities are all right. The wireless internet connection is shoddy, but we were informed by hotel staff that they were in the process of dropping their current internet provider and switching to a better one. It was pretty neat and convenient to test out the GoogleTVs. There's a little bit of a learning curve using the remote and all its functions, but once we got the hang of it it was great! Since the wireless didn't work that well, we used the TVs to browse the internet. Just remember to SIGN OUT of all your accounts (Netflix, gmail, Amazon, etc) when you're done. The previous user forgot to, which could have been bad.

The room service is the same menu as the restaurant downstairs. The menu items are New American and overall quite tasty (particularly the truffle tater tots), though they try a little too hard to be unique in a few of their offerings (grapes in risotto? not so much...). The bar stocks some quality wine and spirits, and the drinks we got were all pretty good (we got a Rob Roy, the Andalusia cocktail, some LA-brewed IPA, and bubbly).

Overall, we were satisfied with the accomodations, but I would be hesitant to stay here again for how much it costs (especially with the extra $12/night amenity fee). If it were a little cheaper, I might come back again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smitchoo
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2012

If you're traveling by yourself or as a couple then I say this hotel will do. As you walk in you'll be greeted by a great, up to date lobby with cool decor. The rooms are a bit tight which is why I say it's only good for couples or singles. (not really good for two friends) as showers and toilet area are a little in the open and room is small. The lobby has a great place to relax, enjoy the drinks from the bar, which has a pretty good selection of spirits and liqueurs. They make a really good Vesper and Sidecar. If you're up for a little snack try their tatertots! You can't beat the location. It's blocks away from 7th street (where all the restaurants and bars are located), walking distance to Staples Center and LA Live, and a taxi ride away from all the little districts within DTLA such as Old Bank District, Shopping District and Little Tokyo which all have amazing restaurants and make for awesome bar/lounge hopping. If you find yourself needing suggestions of where to go and what to do... the staff is awesome, Ask for Pierre and he'll point you in the right direction. So, if you find yourself in DTLA looking for an experience and want to try something other than a normal chain hotel... this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple