“Staff needs work”

Ranked #141 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Bishop, California
“Staff needs work”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Rooms are very small and all face a brick wall. Called over a month ago to reserve two double beds and was proved a a queen and a roll away. The roll away was awful and barley fit in the room. The staff provided little help other than to charge an additional $14 service fee. Hotel was clean, great bar, good location. Follow up with your reservation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
santa barbara
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Glad I gave it a try, but I will never stay here again and would not recommend this Hotel to anyone.
The location is very close to the Staples Center which was great since that was my destination for the night.
Unfortunately, this Hotel was very disappointing. The cost was equal or higher than other downtown LA Hotels which are MUCH nicer.
The lobby is very dark in a way that seems to be hiding something. The "view" room was very small and very stark but not in a cool modern way. The starkness was more like a concrete cell.
The furnishings were minimal and seemed that they were refinished but already looking old.
The bathroom was tiny and only had an ill fitting sliding door, doing nothing for privacy.
The next day we woke up, wishing we could relax and sleep in a bit, but it was not possible. I didn't even want to use the shower. We not get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank missadventuresb

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Upriver
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Well, let's see. Went to go see a Kings game recently and my companion booked this in an effort to try something new - usually we'll stay at the standard if we want to stay downtown. I will say the photos looked good - but on arrival things began to quickly fall apart. First off, there is a mysterious, mandatory $14 'service fee' on top of all other charges. What for? They say it's for wi-fi, gym fee, etc - guess what, I didn't want any of that. It's simply a way to bump up the rate over what you've agreed to. OK, it's only $14, but I don't like the principal. What are you supposed to do once you get there?

Then up to the room itself. The building in general needs upkeep, feels dirty, cramped, dated. Open the door, and you've got a gray box, florescent lit box, with a bed, a nasty cramped bathroom, and 2 bottles of water. It really feels like an empty room someone put a bed in. Hard to explain. No feel, no vibe, no minibar. Bathroom is very small and dirty feeling. Mildew.

I could go on, but isn't that enough?

The location is good for access to Staples, etc, but there are much better, cheaper options. C'mon, this is LA people!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tisman
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I needed to be in LA for an art show and this was a perfect spot for me as a single woman.
Best is when I was so hungry, I got to eat right there with lovely food to nourish myself. I will stay there again!

Room Tip: I had no view and it didn't matter…I wasn't there for that. As a solo I didn't need much...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lizbeth H
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I was staying in this hotel for three days for a fun trip with my friend. My friend had the reservation but didn't have her card, so I put the room under my credit card. The next day, my friend put her credit card under the room to fix the issue. At the end of our stay, my friend checkout under her name to double check that they charge the correct credit card. Within two business days my card was charged $730.00. My friend call the O Hotel to fix the issue again. Two business days later they charge my account $589.69. I finally called them to resolve the issue and discovered they charge both my friend and myself $589.69 each. Grand total of $1,179.38. Seriously??!! The front desk didn't know what was going on. The communication at the hotel is horrible. I would never stay in that hotel ever again. The best thing about the hotel is the TV. The bed was not comfortable and the showers had mildew. They serviced our room once and we had to ask for towels.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Justin B
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed the first time based on location and price

I would stay again based on service

PROS

1. Service

All the staff and seemed genuinely happy to be working there. Knowledgeable and helpful, especially Chris the concierge

2. Location

Perfect access to everything I needed

CONS

1. Unexpected "resort fee"

I was quite happy to pay $14 a day for Wi-Fi and Golds Gym access

Still, if I had been on a tighter budget, I might've been annoyed when told after check about this extra fee

2. Noise

Ironically, because of the new bar in the basement, the street facing rooms are probably quieter

Every night, I was awoken around 3 AM when the downstairs bar is closed

I think they could offer further discounts on alley side rooms, or at least warn folks

Better yet, give us a free drink coupon so we can join the fun for a nightcap :)

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank TokyoVince
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is my second time staying in LA and I wasn’t keen to stay in downtown again. The O hotel surprised me and showed me that downtown isn’t as scary as people think. We arrived early and we were able to get into our room straight away. We read previous reviews which said the rooms were small but there is plenty of room! The showers are small and they go get water everywhere but that isn’t really an issue. They give you really nice bath products, not your standard soaps.

The hotel itself is actually beautiful and the restaurant is fantastic. The food each morning is perfect if you just want to get some energy before your big day starts. There are a lot of different food options around from the IHOP across the road to stunning roof top restaurants.

We were close to buses and trains and were able to get wherever we needed to go. We got a cab to LAX and it was about $60.

This is a beautiful hotel and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple