“overall a very good deal”
Review of Custom Hotel

Custom Hotel
Ranked #211 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“overall a very good deal”
Reviewed 20 April 2011

close to lax and not at all noisy. good rooms and service.

only criticism is they really need to get faster internet.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank hellojamie60763

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I stayed here for two nights in April of 2011, and from the get-go I was impressed by the place.

When I arrived, I wasn't initially expecting valet-only parking, but the valet was incredibly nice. I even forgot an item in my car, and he brought it around 5 minutes after he parked it with nary a grumble.

I needed to make a couple copies of some business documents, and Aritza, the girl at the front desk, was happy to help me out. The food at the lobby restaurant/bar was delicious (fish tacos and Rogue ale), and the room was snazzy (to sound quaint about it).

Very recommended.

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Elecid
Reviewed 4 April 2011

To whom it may concern,
My boyfriend and I stayed in late March at the Custom hotel. Hotel was very clean and upscale for the daily rate. Customer service was amazing down to valet to the very helpful man at the front desk (Tomas). Tomas went out of his way to make our stay enjoyable, asset to the company and I will return and refer other travlers to the Custom hotel cause of him.

Thank you!!
Will return shortly.

Ashley

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank Abartholomay17
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Dear Maile, Thank you for making our stay at your hotel a special one. We appreciated your thoughtfulness and enjoyed the good snacks! Sincerely, Pete and Joy

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nesselnn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

First, the positive:

The front desk clerk who checked me in was amazing. Very service oriented and helpful. And the price was right.

Now the negative:

You get what you pay for. This hotel feels like a NYC nightclub from the 1990s - black and red painted cement. Although it was quiet so it didn't sound like a nightclub.

The room was way too hot. I put the thermostat on air conditioning, lowest temperature (64 degrees F) and highest fan setting. I slept naked with no covers on and was still too hot. Open the window for air and you will get road noise.

There was a major issue with one of the hotel departments that i won't go into detail here because it will identify me immediately to the hotel staff. Suffice it to say that the employee who messed it up was an absolute idiot and looked like it. The front desk clerk I mentioned above was amazing and very helpful to resolving the issue (which is still in discussion).

The bed sheets smelled like donut frying oil (but they looked clean).

The toiletries, especially the soap, were harsh on skin and hair.

The hallways were dark and depressing.

It tries to be a boutique hotel, but fails on every count (except the great front desk clerk)

I understand the hotel is due to be renovated, but I would have suggested to renovate it first and then open it, not vice versa.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank RobertRyanson
AGMinnes, Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
Thank you for your review, your feedback is a valuable tool in helping improve our product and service. It's great to hear that you had a good experience with our Front Desk Host and that you felt our price was fair.

Custom Hotel is a new property in the Joie de Vivre family and are working around the clock to assure the hotel’s quality is in line with the standards of what our guest expect from Joie de Vivre. In fact the temporary cooling issue you experienced, has already been addressed and is working perfectly again. We are currently spending more than $4 million to bring the hotel up to our high standards.

The dark hallways have always been a reoccurring theme for guest staying here. We recognize that this was a unique design choice by the previous owners. We have already brightened the hallways on the majority of our floors by adding vibrant splashes of color and lightening the paint.

I am surprised to hear about the soap and shampoos. These are custom Lather products, a company known for using all natural ingredients and biodegradable containers.

We hope that you will come out and see us again in mid-summer to see all of the changes!

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2011

When I walked into the hotel I could automatically tell that it was not up to standard. After we checked and went upstairs, we proceeded to open to door and a terrible odor slpaped us in the face. The bed was on the floor, sand in the iron and flat white paint to cover all of the rooms flaws. You could tell they were aiming for a contemporary chic image but completeley failed!!! I told my husband I could not stay in that dump. We went downstairs and they offered us a better room. The clerk, who was atleast nice stated "this is not your avearage cookie cutter hotel." She did not lie! The better room was the exat same with a mini-fridge! I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone or allow my dog to sleep on its dog decorated blankets! We immediately left and went to a COOKIE CUTTER Hotel! On vacation, I want to cut cookies and eat them too!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TraveingDuoJA
AGMinnes, Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
I want to start by apologizing that the experience at Custom Hotel was not what you expected. As you may know, Custom Hotel was recently purchased by Joie de Vivre. Since then, several minion dollars have been committed to the property to refresh and update the product including the issues you mentioned. I was glad to hear that our team was able to help you.

I wanted to clarify one statement, which was that our beds are on the floor. Our beds are about 8 inches lower to the carpet than a traditional bed but still have a very nice bamboo/solid wood frame and headboard. The lower mattress height is typical with modern styling.

I hope that you have a chance to visit us this summer when our work is complete and you can see all of the changes first hand.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We stayed at the Custom Hotel while en transit through the LAX. It's an OK hotel for a short stay. Our room was clean and comfortable albeit small. The hotel has a free shuttle to/from LAX and runs every 30-min. A cab from LAX to the hotel would cost around $20. Many fast food options around the hotel but not open late.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple