“Fun, Hip hotel with great service and location!”
Review of Custom Hotel

Custom Hotel
Ranked #210 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Fun, Hip hotel with great service and location!”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I was recently in LA for business and found a great Expedia rate for this hotel. Being in the hotel industry I have always worked for boutique and independent resorts thus my desire to stay at a Joie de Vivre property. My first interaction was with the complimentary airport pickup driver Chris. I found him to be very friendly and knowledgeable. He was top notch. The hotel was very euro-sheik-hip and quite clean. I loved the multi colored LED lights and the shower was great! I have to say they did a great job on tailoring the rooms to the corporate traveler, loved the wide pedestal sinks! They provided lots of space to put your stuff. I utilized the cardio and weight room each morning and found them adequate, nothing spectacular but they certainly got the job done, also very clean. The pool area looked very inviting but it was a little too chilly to go in, next time! Deck 33 (restaurant) had a diverse menu, tasty food and prompt friendly service with a smile. Michael was a terrific server. Xandra assisted me at check out; she was superb in every way. I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone and I will certainly be back. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Daniel H, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
Hello, Star_Child79!

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your Custom Hotel experience on TripAdvisor! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and enjoyed the unique and "hip" design of our property! Your feedback is extremely important to us as we continue reinvent the traditional "airport stay" at LAX!

Additionally, your comments about the friendly staff you encountered have been passed along to those hard-working individuals! We can't thank you enough for recognizing them!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Custom Hotel the next time your business or leisure plans return you to the Los Angeles area!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reseda
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I love the Custom Hotel. It is my home away from home. When I need a weekend away (kids, in-laws, husband, work, life), I book an overnight at the custom hotel. I love the east check-in/parking and location. This hotel is not just for the travelling. I stay there maybe 4 times a year for a weekend away to sleep, eat and regenerate. The 5th floor is funky and by the last night of my stay I sometimes ask my husband to join me for Sunday's by the pool. The beds are my favorite. Super comfy and sleeping in is amazing!

Room Tip: Any I've never had Lincoln side or the pool side be too loud.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Hi, Jennsfc:

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your recent experience at the Custom Hotel. It sounds like you had a delightful stay! Your feedback is invaluable to us as we continue to imrpove our service and operations. We're glad you like the unique design of the hotel and the comfortable beds! We're continuing to make lots of great changes to make future visits even more enjoyable!

We can't wait to have you back as our guest the next time your travels bring you back to Los Angeles!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 November 2011

What a lucky break. We were hoping to score a bearable hotel close to LAX. This came on a recommendation from a young boutique hotel owner in Santa Barbara. It pays to ask the locals.

I'd read some reviews about it after the suggestion and decided to return our rental car prior to our stay because apparently it can be inconvenient to access your car once parked. Excellent decision. They picked us up right from Budget in a sexy black Suburban.

The hotel is an oldie that's been refurbished. Mod, hip, but real. We were nervous about being trapped w/o transportation close to the airport, but that was no issue at all. The place is fully equipped with a bar & restaurant that overlooks the pool and fire pit and exotic cabanas. Amazingly cool.

Super sweet staff all around. Give it a try.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Daniel H, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Hello, J_Arica:

Thank you for your kind words about the Custom Hotel! We're thrilled you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back soon! We have some exciting changes planned for the not-so-distant future and can't wait for you to enjoy them!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

stayed here as had to catch an early (5am) flight. good to find a hotel that has a nice design and is affordable. i didn't use the restaurants or pool as got in late from a long flight and left early. the valet who helped with my car ($20 for parking) when I arrived was very friendly and helpful, and so was the lady at check-in; unfortunately I didn't get names. the rooms were a nice size. one gripe is there was no fridge for keeping drinks cold (went and bought drinks from Ralphs around the corner) and no electric kettle to make a cup of tea (but this is standard in the US where everyone drinks that awful filter coffee *shudder*). the biggest issue was my room was right near the elevators and people entering and exiting could be heard clearly (and a lot of people seemed to like standing and chatting in the corridor!) so getting a good nights sleep was tough. overall i liked the place and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try and get something away from the elevators so you don't have to listen to people talking and...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Hello, isyns:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor! Guest feedback is important to us as we continuously work to improve our product and service! I was pleased to discover that you had an overall enjoyable experience. We are exploring innovative ways to make the hotel more comfortable from an accoustics standpoint. Your feedback is invaluable in this endeavor.

We look forward to having you as our guest the next time your business or leisure plans return you to the LAX area!

Burbank, Ca.
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We loved this hotel! The rooms are nice. The restaurant Deck 33 overlooks the pool. Happy hour was yummy, breakfast too. The pool area is very relaxing. It felt like we were on a topical island, but really only an hour from home. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Hello, 1KraftyQuilter :

Thanks so much for your kind review on TripAdvisor! It sounds like you had a relaxing and memorable experience! We can't wait to have you back as our guest!

Reviewed 30 October 2011

According to the website this hotel established itself a lifestyle boutique hotel.

If you enter the lobby the first impression seems that it is worth the price. If you exit the elevator the good impression slowly fades away. Very dark hallways lead to your room.

Upon entering the room you will notice curtains covering the walls
and the low beds. (which are strange enough ok to sleep in)

The mood lights turn out to be small LEDs on the windows with a remote.
Barely visible and from the looks of it, the wiring seems not to be safe.

All in all a ok location for a layover I you can get a decent price.
If you want to spend a longer time in LA I would suggest to check-in into another place.

We parked at the park across the street because valet parking was not even in a secure location but instead on the open parking lot behind the hotel

Would not stay there again. The only good thing was the location right near LAX.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Daniel H, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Hello, Athlux:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent Custom Hotel experience. Guest feedback is extremely important to us. It appears that you generally enjoyed your experience and we are thrilled to have you as a guest.

The Custom Hotel has only recently completed rennovations to Joie de Vivre's very high standards. And yes, the hotel does offer a dark color pallete, which is part of the style we wanted to capture in the design of the hotel. However, based on your feedback and that of our other valued guests as yourself, we are proposing capital improvements to the building in 2012 that will greatly improve these areas of concern.

Regarding our parking arrangements, our lot is indeed open but regularly monitored by hotel security. Valet parking is just one parking option available to guests.

In closure, we thank you for you again for your feedback and do hope that you'll visit us again the next time your business or leisure plans return you to the LAX area.

Daniel Hirsch - Front Office Manager

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This is my first review, and it is born of a request by the Custom Hotel to write it. That alone wouldn't have sufficed, but for the staff's obvious investment and pride in the hotel. Like good restaurants, after the initial verve, staying power is tied to sincere pride in one's business, and each person with whom I was in contact was proud of this place. First, it has been professionally and creatively "refreshed" (as they say) style-wise, and I enjoyed the retro '60's touches. I enjoyed my stay in part because everything felt thought-through and style-conscious. Where I am not style-conscious, I can appreciate its value. Second, it was a place one would seek to eat and to relax independent of whether one were staying there. The restaurant was well-styled and the food great. The selection was relatively small, but notwithstanding, only an overly-finicky person wouldn't have found something interesting to eat. The pool-side deck and evening bar were hip and able to accommodate the array of potential guests. I appreciate the sincerity of the wait staff (I elected to eat all my meals at the hotel, in large part due to a positive breakfast experience on the first day). Last, I enjoyed the new and creative way by which they oriented me to the hotel's amenities (e.g., an ink-blotter on the desk/end table conceived as an airline emergency procedures trifold).

The staff was very accommodating, and with their efforts was able to conduct some business, but I think a more robust and accessible business room or similar room (e.g., with printing, scanning, faxing) would be helpful to attract more business folks. Likewise, the electrical system is not prepared for the 21st century's need for several plugs to charge/use several devices. My last (minor) critique is that the interactive TV isn't terribly interactive, and I gave up after a while, as it became too difficult to simply watch a baseball game.

On the whole, were I on business travel in and out of L.A., this place would come instantly to mind, and I'd enjoy the stay.

Room Tip: The higher up you go, the better. I would ask to be away from the elevator, although it seemed quie...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Hello, John S.:

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor! We look forward to welcoming you back to Custom Hotel the next time your travel plans return you to the LAX area!

Custom LAX