“Custom Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Custom Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

I have used the Custom Hotel for pleasure trips to Los Angeles twice now and have not been disappointed. The rooms are extremely quiet and clean. The beds are very comfortable, staff is polite and friendly and although some rooms face the airport and others Lincoln street with a distant view of the ocean, the windows are at least triple paned and you don't hear anything. No toilet's flushing from other rooms or anything. Very nice and quiet. My only complaint was the cost of $20.00 for daily valet parking but I hear that is similar to other hotels but the valet staff are very quick to get your car and handle it safely. I would like to see more drawer space in the room for clothes but it was satisfactory. I stayed 5 days and have no complaints. Prices were good. Drinks were pricey but lots of other places to drink if you want lower costs. Remember LA in general is expensive. Very nice place to stay. People are courteous. Would definitely stay a third time when in LA. I give it five stars. Also, there is a Ralphs market right near less than half a block and a cute and tasty little restaurant nearby walking distance that makes a great breakfast any time of the day. Good choice.

Room Tip: See above. I would defiitely also get the elevated rooms so you can have the small frig and coffee...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Hello, Tobi B:

On behalf of the entire staff and management at Custom Hotel, thank you for being our guest and for posting such a flattering review of your experiences at Custom Hotel here on TripAdvisor.com! We're delighted to read that you continue to be impressed by our product, service, cleanliness, comfort and value!

In your review, you mentioned the perceived high cost of parking. We constantly shop the competition to ensure our parking prices are in line with other LAX airport hotels. It turns out, we're a few dollars cheaper than the average and, we're one of the only properties around LAX that has a free street-parking option. Of course, it's on a first-come, first-served basis and there's always an element of risk in leaving your vehicle unattended on the street. However, the option is there for guests who wish to use it. We are glad, however, that you were impressed with the valet service provided by our parking team!

Also, as you pointed out in your review, Custom Hotel is one of the few LAX airport hotels that's situated in a neighborhood you can feel safe walking around in. We're surrounded by great restaurants, a park, a golf course, a small selection of shops and easy access to public transportation with access to some of L.A.'s greatest beaches (Santa Monica and Venice, to name a few.) We've also carefully selected windows that block out 99% of airport and street noise to provide our guests with a close proximity to one of the busiest airports in the world without the associated noise.

Finally, in your review, you mentioned our "Elevated" accommodations. We've been working hard to improve all of the amenities in our "Elevated" rooms (which generally only run $20-$30/night more than our deluxe rooms.) Now they include the refrigerator, coffee makers, full-size iron & ironing boards, ergonomic work desk & chair, robes, slippers, outstanding views of the Los Angeles skyline and access to our exclusive social lounges including Stratosphere (with massage chairs) and the LAX Lounge (our business center). Upgrades to these room types may be available at check-in at discounted rates. Just ask your friendly Front Desk Host at check-in about availability!

In closing, thank you so very much for being our loyal guest! We look forward to welcoming you time-and-time-again to Custom Hotel and we're privileged to have you as our guest.

Custom Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We flew in from Dallas on a Friday evening for a weekend in Southern California. I'm a Starwood guy, but thought I'd go off track after seeing this hotel on Anthony Boudain's "The Layover". I was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel has that cool, kind of minimalist look. The rooms were clean, comfortable bedding albeit on a pedestal about a foot off the ground.

The food at the bar was surprisingly good. We had a really nice burger.

The valet service is outstanding and very convenient getting back and forth from the airport.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a pool view, or you'll be looking at the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Greeting, JoeandJan:

Thank you very much for your business and for posting such an outstanding review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com! We crave guest feedback as it allows us to evaluate our service and operations and make necessary changes. It appears from your feedback that you thouroughly enjoyed every aspect of your experience with us!

We're glad you took the plunge and selected a hotel outside of your comfort zone! We position ourselves as LAX's first and only lifestyle/boutique hotel. Although minimalistic, our guests tell us time and time again that they prefer simple, functional rooms without all of the 'expensive' bells and whistles which boils down to a great value!

We do presently feature the platform beds in a majority of our guestrooms, but listening to guest feedback, we're getting ready to transition a selection of our rooms (over time) to traditional height on a standard frame. This project will begin with our "elevated rooms" and continue throughout the year.

We're so glad you enjoyed your meal at our signature restaurant, DECK33! I've passed along your feedback to our Executive Chef for his review and follow-up with his team.

Finally, we're so glad you found the airport transportation from our Valet team to exceed your expectations. It's our pleasure to offer complimentary shuttle service in our sexy black Mercedes-Benz Sprinters for our valued guests. Just keep in mind that our shuttle service available between the hours of 5am and 2am daily.

In closing, thanks so much for your flattering review and feedback about your experience! We look forward to welcome you back to Custom Hotel the next time your travels return to Los Angeles!

Leiden, Holland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Just after arriving in LA (from Amsterdam), we stayed in this hotel, which is very close to the airport. Hotel looks re-styled, neighboorhood is nothing special, but ok. Rooms are normal, clean with a decent bathroom. Service at the desk was very good; friendly and helpful staff. Would defenitely go there again when arriving in LA.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Greetings, OrinocoFlow:

On behalf of the entire staff and management at Custom Hotel, thank you for being our valued guest and for posting such an awesome review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com! We do take guest feedback seriously as it allows us to see where we're doing well and where there might be room for improvement! From your review, it appears as if you were delighted with all aspects of your visit!

It was nice to read that you found the guestrooms simple, yet functional. And, that you found the service from the Front Desk staff to exceed your expectations. I've passed your feedback onto the Front Desk team and our Executive Housekeeper for their review.

In your review, you mentioned that the neighborhood is nothing special. We wanted to let you and other travelers know that Custom Hotel is situated in the great neighborhood of Westchester. Just minutes from LAX (but with none of the associated noise), we're pleased to be within walking-distance of a large selection of restaurants (including Italian, Thai, BBQ, Japanese, Pizza, a Diner, Fast Food, and Upscale Deli and Mexican...just to name a few.) We're also just minutes from a golf course with driving range, a skate park, a park and directly across-the-street from public transportation that makes access to nearby beaches (Venice & Santa Monica) a breeze to get to! We do invite our guests to get out and explore all that our neighborhood has to offer!

In closing, thank you for being our valued guest. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to Custom the next time your travels return you to Los Angeles!

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

We stayed here for the Rose Bowl. It was close to the airport. We got a good rate on a double and decided to stay here instead of a chain. Not only was this place cheaper, but definitely more interesting. It was a no frills place dont get me wrong, but would much rather stay at a place like this than a chain. overall, it was a good experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hello, b p:

Thanks so much for being our recent guest and for posting such a flattering review here on TripAdvisor.com! We truly appreciate guest feedback as it points our opportunities for improvement and highlights where we're doing well! We're glad to hear that your decision to break away from the 'big box' hotels was a choice you were happy with.

Custom Hotel is a unique hotel on many levels. First, it's the only lifestyle/boutique hotel at LAX. Secondly, we're constantly looking for ways ot reinvent the traditional airport hotel with simple but efficient guestrooms and lots of great social spaces throughout the property to allow you to get out and explore! Finally, we're pleased to offer a great value to our guests as we're competitively priced against some of the big name hotels at the airport.

We're delighted to read that you found the hotel to be clean, comfortable, a great value and to offer better-than-expected service!

We're looking forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to Custom Hotel the next time your travels return you to the Los Angeles area.

Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

So I get to LAX (6am June 8th) and was advised that my flight was canceled and rescheduled (to June 9th 10am)..Only problem was that all hotels were booked up near LAX...Was lucky enough to find the Custom Hotel for the 1 day stay..Contacted front desk clerk (Kat) via phone from LAX..Explained situation and she advised me that all tho they were fully booked the night b4, she could get me a room for the night..She then directed me where to go to catch Custom shuttle bus..Shuttle arrived within 10 minutes and the shuttle driver greeted me with a smile and was extremely helpful with my luggage..Short trip to hotel and was also greeted with a smile and welcome to Custom hotel from employees in front of hotel..I then walked to front desk and was greeted by Kat with a smile and Welcome to Custom Hotel..Kat explained to me that since they where fully booked the night b4, it would take a short time for house keeping to begin to clean rooms..She then went on to say that I would get the very 1st room that was cleaned..Kat then suggested I get breakfast at the buffet next to the lobby area..So after Kat secured my luggage in a secure room I proceeded to have a GREAT breakfast..Food was delicious and fruit was fresh..I then sat in lobby and enjoyed a hour of people watching as 75% of the occupants spoke a foreign language and appeared to be from other than the USA..Was then advised by Ms Kat that my room was available..Once I reached my room I was VERY PLEASED..GREAT ROOM...From the furnishings to the view out of windows on both sides and also great bathroom toiletries..I just love the platform bed and the fact that it is in the middle of the room..This is the kind of room that you dont want to leave unless you have too..Walked to Ralphs next door and purchased water and fruit..Upon returning to room, called down to bell staff to make reservation for shuttle ride back to LAX in am (as directed by the in room hotel info) Bell staff stated I needed to do this thru the front desk (contrary to in room info)..he then asked me to hold as he transferred me..As I waited the line disconnected..I then called front desk and Kat answered..Upon explaining the situation to her, Kat stated that the bell staff should have taken the reservation and that she would take care of it..Later that night had a GREAT dinner @ the Deck 33 restaurant..Staff there was also extremely nice and helpful... All in all my experience @ the Custom hotel was the best experience ive had in a long time..Im not a fan of California but am now planning a trip there in a few months to stay at the Custom and visit some high school friends who live in the area..GREAT JOB CUSTOM HOTEL...Kat is DEFINITELY a asset to your establishment as well..

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Hello, Bam B:

Thank you very much for being our guest, under the most unique of circumstances nonetheless, and for posting such an elaborate and flattering review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com!

All of us at Custom were so excited to read just how much you enjoyed every aspect of your experience and the service you received from the Front Desk Team, namely Kat!

We're excited to read that you found all aspects of your visit to exceed your expectations! We're working hard to deliver a great product at a great value and top it off with great service!

Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back to Custom Hotel the next time your travels return you to the Los Angeles area!

Larchmont, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed at the Custom several times over the past couple of years. It's a low cost hotel (by LA standards, certainly), but simple and nice. Rooms are "modern" and sparsely decorated, but the beds are very comfortable.

There's a restaurant on the first floor that's fine for breakfast, and they have a little coffee bar in the lobby in the morning.

They recently renovated most of the hotel-- new elements in the lobby, funky lights in the room that allow you to choose different colors for your windows-- cool at night.

The pool area is trying hard to be a "scene", and it might be a cool place for a party...but just seems annoyingly loud when there's an event and you're staying on business.

Parking is valet only, so be ready to shell out that extra $22 (or so) a day for parking.

Some of the bathrooms are showing some dings and dents--

But overall, a fine hotel, very close to LAX and very reasonably priced. Don't expect the Four Seasons and you could do a lot worse in the area.

There's a new shopping complex directly next door with a coffee shop and a few small places to grab a bite to eat.

Room Tip: I prefer a high floor to avoid the noise from any events in the pool area...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Greetings, BodenseeAustria:

Thank you so much for your recent visit with us and for posting your review here on TripAdvisor.com. We're delighted to read that you found the hotel's staff, amenities and services to exceed your expectations!

We're investing heavily in the property to improve the overall quality of our guestrooms. The building now known as Custom Hotel was built in the 60's and requires a lot of TLC. We work every day to make improvements to the property and bring it up to the level our guests have come to expect and enjoy!

For guests traveling on business, we recommend requesting the "Lincoln" or "Manchester" view in your reservation. These rooms are away from our pool and courtyard area and may be found to be somewhat quieter on weekend evenings.

In closing, thanks so much for your patronage! We look forward to welcoming you back to Custom Hotel in the very near future.

Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Very friendly front desk, lean design of the rooms, clean, nice fire place next to the pool, every room has a mood-light so at night when you look at the hotel, every room has another color

"I will bring new water to the weightlifting room immediately" took more than 45 minutes,
weightlifting room could be bigger

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Hello, Wusels:

On behalf of the entire staff and management at Custom Hotel, thanks so much for your patronage and for posting a review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com! We're working hard to deliver better-than-expected expereinces topped off with great service!

We're glad that you found the minimalistic yet functional design of our guestrooms to exceed your expectations. Our guests frequently tell us that they prefer more cost-effective guestrooms with fewer bells-and-whistles instead overpriced rooms full of amenities you'd never use. Operating this way allows us to deliver a highly-functional guestroom at an attractive price that meets the needs of a majority of our guests.

We're glad you liked the LED lighting we've placed in the window of each of our guestrooms. Inside, it allows guests to CUSTOM-ize the feel and mood of their guestrooms with wide selection of colors. Outside, the hotel takes on a different look each evening based on the moods of our collective guests. It's fun. And, when you've had enough, they're easy to turn off for the night.

I wanted to apologize for the delay in getting water delivered to the dispenser in our weight room. We, too, were awaiting a water delivery that morning from our vendor. As soon as it arrived, we had it delivered right away. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. We're also exploring opportunities to improve the quality and selection of equipment in our weightroom. Your feedback is greatly appreciated in this endeavor.

In closing, thank you so much for being our guest! We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to Custom Hotel the next time your travels return you to Los Angeles.