“Comfortable & Quaint”

GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Clarita, California
“Comfortable & Quaint”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This will be my go to hotel for getting a jump on early morning travel out of LAX so I can avoid the pain that is called the 405 so I truly hope it does not change and get worse. My wife and I found the place very cool, modern and chic. Staff was friendly and the bar/restaurant over the pool was very nice.

Room Tip: Try to get a window facing south if you'd like to watch the airplanes
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Rick R, General Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Yes, our Hotel is very convenient to LAX & the 405. many guests choose our Hotel based on location, but are also pleasantly surprised with the Hotel, our Service & Amenities.

Thanks again & we hope to see you again real soon....safe travels.

Rick B. Ross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed in LA for one night, and wasn't looking for anything special, but this Hotel turned out to be very nice. I got a nice deal, and the service was very good. The room was very nice and comfortable, and had a wonderful sleep.

The location is great, is very near by LAX, and close to Marina del Rey and Venice Beach, if you want to do something turistic.

I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind words, I will certainly share them with my Team. Our Hotel is very quaint, has a great location in proximity to the Beach & the Airport so it really does fit for all Travelers.

Safe Travels...

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Great airport location, where hotels frequently sell out for high prices due to demand.

A line at check in, not friendly, very transactional.

Inexpensive Ikea type furniture, inexpensive fixtures that look like higher end ones, new paint on walls that look like they were not properly patched and sanded.

I do not think the service is average. I went to the front desk as I checked out at 5 AM and there were two gentlemen at the front desk. Neither wanted to help me. It was as if they were working on something else and wanted the other to service me. I asked for change for a $5 bill so I could tip the valet. They went outside to the valet to get the change. Then I asked the other for a Copy of my room receipt and he said to wait for the other guy to return. LAZY.

This team was not trained in how to serve the customer.

Really, why bother? There are better places. It looks attractive and cool on line. Don't be fooled.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...read the ratings. When they are all over the place you have to ask which ones...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than memorable. I will certainly address all areas that were reported in this Review with my Team to make sure this does not happen again.

We look forward to hosting you once again at the Custom Hotel soon....safe travels.

Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I decided to stay here due to the average price of a hotel in LA as well as having an early flight out so I wanted to be somewhat proximal to the airport. The location was great. I was able to get to both Beverly Hills and Santa Monica in 20 minutes and the airport was only 5 miles away. However, that's about where the pros end. While the staff was pleasant, the hotel is old, outdated and frankly, dirty. The bedskirt on my bed was completely ripped, there were hairs in the shower, cracks in the sink and old industrial carpeting. That being said, I was only basically sleeping here as I was on a business trip, so it was fine for a quick stay on a budget. If you are looking for anything else - I would look at some of the higher ranked hotels on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank exeter95
Rick R, General Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your Feedback. The Hotel was recently purchased by new Ownership on May 23rd & many Capital Projects are in the works, specifically the areas of concern mentioned in your Review. I will certainly share your positive comments regarding your interaction with the Team Members....they do work very hard to make sure our Guests leave with a positive impression.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Dana provided us excellent service and got us into a room that we requested. Love it!! She is awesome, this hotel is awesome, she helped us out alot. Dana will solve all your problems. She needs a promotion!

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for recognizing 1 of our best Employees in the Hotel. Dana will be happy to hear this, she is a "Shining Star" & truly leads by example.

Thanks again & Safe Travels...

Davis, CA
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Hotels in LA can be expensive and location is always key. This hotel met our needs for a limited time and desire to hit the beach and meet friends in West LA for a nice dinner. I especially loved the pre-pay price that brought it down even further. Of course you can't change your plans if you pre-pay, but we were set on dates so it was perfect for us. $27 for parking is steep, but for the price of the hotel stay, it was still well below prices for comparable places in the area. The valets are excellent, and you can call to have your car in front from the room any time you need it. Room is sparse, table bed, bar/desk area. Bed was comfortable - the place was clean and well laid out as all Joi de Vivre hotels are. I will give up fancy frills for a better price, good service, and excellent location. We were 5-10 minutes from Venice and Santa Monica. Staff was great and it was all we needed.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor in the lower price range. We got 8th floor and the view was fabulous. Yo...
Green Features: They clearly had green and environmentally concious practices and we liked that.
1 Thank AnnaferDavis_CA
Dear Valued Guest,

So happy to hear that your entire stay was so memorable. I will certainly pass this information on to my Team & especially the Valet/Bell Desk. They are extremely hard workers & deserve to be recognized.

Hope to see you again soon, safe travels..

Essex, england
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Clean basic city hotel fine for a couple of nights stay, parking a bit pricey $27 per night but as in any city it is what you would expect, having said that there is free parking along the roads we parked in Manchester just around the corner with no problems, just do not park in front of a fire hydrant these have normally got red lines painted on the curbs in front of them. We were doing a road trip so only stayed two nights but wanted to see as much as possible so we booked 'The Grand Tour of LA' by Starline Tours $75 each this was a whole day tour but to be honest the morning part was a waste of time so I would advise just doing the afternoon tour. The tour was booked via the hotel just be aware that the deposit the hotel takes has to be in cash, when you are picked up and taken to the Starline office you can pay the balance on a credit card if you wish.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Rick R, General Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind Review, so sorry about the Parking Fee....but it is commensurate with the Market. yes, you can find Parking on the street....just not near a Fire Hydrant. They will definitely Ticket & Tow you for sure.

Safe Travels....