“Boutique Hotel @ LAX”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Boutique Hotel @ LAX”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Breaking away from the typical Century Boulevard strip of LAX hotels Custom Hotel is a boutique hotel (smaller than standard room size) with a smartly designed space (not a postage stamp with no room to move either) just north of LAX. Excellent noise suppression from outside as traffic and aircraft noise was nonexistent. With free airport transportation and an easy walk or quick bus ride to the beach at Playa del Rey, this hotel location is perfect for this part of Los Angeles and makes having having to rent a car unnecessary. Certain details show through from the hotels age is you look at it with a magnifying glass, but the most recent renovation did a pretty good at covering those up. All in all a hip type vibe without the hipster attitude; this hotel is fantastic.

Room Tip: High room on the south side gives an excellent view back to LAX.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2014

...don't want to compromise on style, Custom Hotel is your place. This is my second time at Custom Hotel and it never disappoints if you know what to expect. We usually stay one night at Custom Hotel when we arrive late at night in LA, as it is by the LAX airport. The rooms are functional, basically with what you need for a short stay and it is clean. Staff on check-in desk is mostly nice and efficient. So if you are looking for a nice, cheap, clean place to crash right after you arrive in LAX, this is definitely the place!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julia C
Rick R, General Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Excellent comments, I will certainly share your Review with my Team....especially the Front Desk Team. We strive each & every day for excellence & it sounds like we hit the "mark" this trip for you.

We look forward to hosting you again the next time you visit the LAX area.

Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Last spring my husband and I were visiting family in LA and we had a really early flight so decided to spend our last night in a hotel. What a delight this hotel was! It is a quirky, one-of-a-kind place that feels very European. The rooms are sparse but very comfortable and we enjoyed our dinner at the restaurant. Although we were only there for one night, it felt like its own mini vacation! Would definitely go back again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We do have a very unique Boutique Hotel nestled between Lax, Marina Del Rey & Playa Del Rey.....not to mention some of the greatest Beaches in So Cal.

Please come back soon, we would love to host you once again.

Gloucester, UK
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Modern hotel. We had a room with 2 beds and although they were comfy, they were on the small size - a UK double bed. Bathroom and shower were fine, good size TV and we had a great view across to the city.
The pool area and outside restaurant / bar is adjacent to the hotel and has great atmosphere at night. It is well lit and there are plenty of fires and heaters should the weather turn a little chilly, like it did on the night we were there. The staff are pleasant and attentive and we thought the food was great. At one point the chef came out and spoke to guests asking if food ok etc. We thought this a really nice touch and most people seemed happy with their meals.
Wifi was free and fast and we were able to print our boarding passes off for free using one of the dedicated computers in the lobby.
Would stay again if in LA.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the city side, away from airport.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words !!!!! My Team will love to hear such positive Feedback, especially Chef Bryan. He has spent very long hours creating a very special Menu for the Deck 33 Restaurant & our Guests love it.

Safe travels & we'll see you again very soon.

Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Last fall I reviewed another Joie De Vivre property, in Silicon Valley. I wasn’t fazed by the funky décor, nor the cute-but-chintzy IKEA-like furniture that reviewers of that hotel (and this one) have mentioned. For me it was okay, funky and odd, as I say, but a fair value.

Well, my experience the night of 8/18 with this JDV property says they have a serious management problem, and until it’s fixed, I’ll never go near one of them again. They can’t possibly have their heads in the right place and have this happen.

I’ll make a long story short. I called upon landing at LAX to get the shuttle, and was told it would be 20 minutes. I called when I got to the curb to find out what to look for – silver van with name on windshield and side.

At minute 30 I called and asked where the van was. The guy said he’d call the shuttle and call me back.

At minute 38 *I* called again (he didn't). I asked if he’d located the driver, and he said "He's probably out there driving around the airport looking for you"! Yes, not only did he not call me back, he blamed the driver's disappearance on me not being there.

I said “Look, I’m cancelling my room – I’ve traveled enough years to know when a shuttle driver is lost in space.” Then the guy had the gall to say, “The last time I talked to him was five minutes ago” (that would have been while I was waiting for him to call me back!) “and he was at terminal 3.” (B.S. I was standing at the curb at Terminal 3 the whole time.)

So I punted and went to another hotel. (It was late, my connection to Australia had been cancelled, and I needed to get to bed for the morning flight.)

Later I called Custom Hotel to speak directly to a manager about this. (In other words, I skipped the menu item for the shuttle service.) A Laura was on duty at the desk, and she said the hotel won’t discuss shuttle problems – I have to talk to the shuttle company!

Yes, apparently the hotel's position is that shuttle problems are not the hotel’s business! Well. If that isn’t the depths of non-hospitality, I don’t know what is – it's also the depths of not being responsible for guest experience.

Then she said “I’ve been instructed that all shuttle problems are to be handled by the shuttle company's supervisor. Would you like to speak to him?” Right: like I want to talk to the guy I'm complaining about.

I can’t imagine why a hotel chain that’s trying to build a brand would outsource the guest’s first experience (the pickup service) and then refuse to listen to any complaints about the vendor. Is this some Godfather thing?? "Use our shuttle or you'll find your horse's head in your bed"? Who knows – all I know is, I'll never trust this company again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank deBronkart
Dear Valued Guest,

My sincere apologies regarding your interaction with our Shuttle Service. This is not typical of the way our Shuttle operates & I will certainly speak to our Valet Manager.

Safe Travels.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Amherst
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here 3 nights while helping a family member move to a new apartment. It feels European- nice, clean, but just a bit different from American hotels. The design is funky, which we appreciated, but beds seemed small. Staff was nice. Valet parking was quick and efficient. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Your kind words are greatly appreciated. My Staff will be very pleased to hear your comments. Our Hotel is very unique & we aim to set ourselves apart from our sister Hotels in the LAX area & I think we do just that..

Please come back again soon, we'd love to host another great experience for your Family.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel looks like a renovated apartment building. The vibe is trendy and modern in the lobby and the staff was friendly and got you in and out quickly. The hallways are quite dark. The free wifi was okay but it was slow, the room itself is adequate. The beds are really close to the ground and may not work for you, it was okay for us. Don't know what the strobe thing on the window was actually for. The bathroom is lacking. There is no space for toiletries, the bathroom door does not lock and maintenance was needed. In fact, in our room the actual tub faucet was loose and separating from the wall, drainage was exceptionally slow and caulk was missing in several places. The location for us was great! The property is located next door to a Ralphs grocery store, which came in very handy and there are several reasonably priced restaurants within walking distance. May stay there again because of location and if the price is right.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the opposite side from the pool for quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Rick R, General Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about my Team, they will be thrilled to hear your Review..

I am sorry that you incurred some Maint issues during your stay. We inspect rooms daily & make sure that PM's (Preventative Maintenance) is done on all aspects of the room. I will certainly bring the items to the attention of my Chief Engineer that you discussed in this Review.

Safe Travels...