“Don't miss this gem in L.A.!”

The Foundry on Melrose
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Vista and Gardner
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The Foundry on Melrose offers a terrific dining experience - a very special place with everything going for it. The Chef Owner, Eric Greenspan, is VERY present and extended a warm greeting to us and everyone else in his restaurant.
Here's a bit about him to give you an idea of his background and what you can expect: Eric Greenspan, who made his reputation as Executive Chef at Patina and the opening chef at Meson G, launches the Foundry on Melrose.
Eric, who has worked at such influential award-winning restaurants such as Union Pacific and Alain Ducasse at the Essex House, and alongside such Michelin-acclaimed chefs as David Bouley and Ferran Adria of El Bulli offers a limited, ever-changing ala carte menu, blending bold flavors, perfect technique and creative touches that reflect the American, French, and Spanish influences on his career.

Chef Eric buzzed around to each table making sure everyone was happy and enjoying themselves and his amazing food. His serving staff was friendly, efficient and informative.

My sister and I used a Groupon and were so happy to have "discovered" The Foundry. We ordered several small plates to share - each interesting and so delicious. Have to mention the "rye" rolls which are brought to your table warm - they were incredible. Crunchy on top with caraway and sesame seeds and chewy inside - perfectly delicious! An international and well-priced wine list and some of the most creative food to be found is waiting for you!

There are newer reviews for The Foundry on Melrose

Reviewed 6 September 2012

As someone who eats out at many "celebrity chef" restaurants, it was great to see that Iron Chef Eric Greenspan was in the kitchen cooking - and what fantastic cooking too!

Great drinks and service from the lovely staff.

Well done all.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

9/3/2012

OMG! If I could give them a higher than a "5" star rating, I would definitely do so.

For the past year, I have developed severe food allergies, so that when I go out to eat I must hand the waiter my very long list of "no - nos" (gluten, dairy (except for eggs), sugar, white rice, corn, soy, salt, nightshade vegs (potato, tomato, eggplant, peppers), anything pickled, mushrooms, most fruits, anything cooked with peanut, soy, canola, corn, or cottonseed oil). Usually restaurants would give me something from their standard menus but leave out what the seasoning and sauces, meaning the end results are pretty bland and uninspiring.

I am amazed by Nick Russo's, Foundry's chef, solution: he took my list and made me a special appetizer and entree from scratch! He even went to the extent of going to the next door restaurant and borrowing some of their brown rice, so he could make the entree he had in mind. For the appetizer, Nick made me chopped up kale, mixed with lemon juice, and a poached egg. For the entree, Nick made me (at least what it looked/tasted like) brown rice mixed with grilled chopped up califlower and cabbage, with 5 generous pieces of seared ahi on top. For the entree, Nick let the natural tastes of the individual ingredients speak for themselves. The meal was delicious. Talk about being responsive to a patron's wishes -- I couldn't have been happier. It would be wonderful if all restaurants chefs were equally as creative and responsive.

I don't know Nick's culinary background, but he clearly has excellent credientials. I must give major cudos to Eric Greenspan, well known chef, and owner of Foundry, for collaborating with Nick, and that my family and I were lucky enough to have been there on an evening when Nick was presiding over the kitchen.

The rest of my family, who has no such dietary restrictions, were also very happy with all of their menu selections.

Lastly, there's an amazing drink called Tengo Tango (tequila, tangerine, cilantro and slivers of jalapeno) which was so excellent, my family had 2 rounds.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Great chef, very creative. If you go back, as we've done, you're almost always in for a new surprise. Latest, very clever and tasty flank stake "bi bim bap" with all the flavors of a great Korean BBQ in one disk. And my partner's pork "chop' one of the most delicious I've tasted. But the service just was sad. We never could figure out who our server was and would have walked but for the Matre 'D who make a valiant effort, but shouldn't be waiting tables, and a bus boy, who seemed to be the only other one in the place who had a clue about service. Superstar chef Greenspan has a wonderful kitchen, but service lets him down.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

I searched for a good restaurant on a recent trip to Hollywood, and came upon a few good reviews for The Foundry on Melrose.

We arrived a few minutes before dinner service begam and sat in their waiting area. The interior was sparse and modern. Nothing special. However, we were seated in the back patio next to a fireplace and began with the house cocktail with burbon. It was wonderful. We ordered the potato soup (a must!), duck, roasted chicken,
and for dessert the Panna Cotta. All dishes were excellent and the service was very good.

Would go there again, for sure.

1  Thank ccinCalifornia