“Average food but good service”

The Foundry on Melrose
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Vista and Gardner
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Went for LA Dine week and ordered a variety of dishes. Grilled cheese sandwich is what they are known for but it was too cheesy. The 2 pork belly dishes we ordered were very good and the mussels were good too. That was the only good thing we had a conversation about for the whole dinner. Risotto - too rich. Tuna tartar - alright. Salad - bla. Beet soup - so so. Beef - little chewy. Fish - ok. There were 6 of us and we ordered different things on the menu but no one really enjoyed the dinner. It wasn't bad but I would not be going back again. The wait staff was the best part of our experience.

There are newer reviews for The Foundry on Melrose

Reviewed 24 January 2013

We really wanted to like this place and were excited finally be going...but were underwhelmed. For me (for most people probably), there are always three important aspects to a dining experience - 1. Food, 2. Service; 3. Wine/Drinks. First, the Food: I had the endive salad and what was the "shortbread" was pretty disgusting (possibly burnt?); I had the Potato soup and it was just OK at best - lots of things going on with the egg and the bread pudding and the bacon combined to make what should have been a delicious "lay-up" not really worth finishing; I had the shrimp and grits and they were very good. Second, the Service: we had various staff members taking orders and bringing things (generally to the wrong person) and most of them seemed very new - the service feel was as if the restaurant had been open for only a couple of months and they were still working things out. Third, the Wine/Drinks: the cucumber cocktail was pretty good, the Pinot Project Pino is to be avoided.

1  Thank Mark J
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Have been to The Foundry several times and have had the same thoughts following each visit. The "small plates" and entrees are innovative and well-prepared, attentive waitstaff, speciality drinks are interesting and unique, but the desserts are limited and sadly lacking.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

We made a last minute reservation, got seated promptly but right next to the door. The waiter came over after the appetizer and offered us to move to another table (we didn't even mention our dislike). - So that was really nice and appreciated. We ordered the 5 course - tasting menu with the wine flight. - Every dish was full of interesting flavors and textures. When the owner saw that I didn't enjoy one of the items, he replaced it with another without me asking. - Great observation, great effort to make sure the guest leaves happy. The wines that were served were all decent, but maybe not top-notch. My wife and I had a great experience and we are looking forward to going back when we return to LA.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I've been here twice and both times were delightful! The last time I went, we ordered the shrimp toast (my personal fave), pork belly scallion pancakes, mustard spaetzle, chicken and peach terrine and finally the branzino. We wanted to order dessert but we were way too stuffed to have any dessert. Everything was perfectly delicious! We loved everything but in the end my fave was the shrimp toast!

2  Thank nlee1220