“Great Outdoor Patio, Average Food, Slow Service”

The Foundry on Melrose
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Vista and Gardner
“Great Outdoor Patio, Average Food, Slow Service”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The outdoor patio was a treat on a lovely evening. The service was mediocre at best. We had multiple people servicing the table and we asked for a lemon for our water and had to ask multiple times and it was never brought out. I don't expect to be fawned over but if I make a request, I would like someone to be responsive. We had the beet salad which was excellent but the romaine wedge was a mess. After a very long wait, where we were ignored by the staff we finally got our dinners. We actually had to ask about our food and the waiter was surprised when he looked at the time. We had the turkey which was great, the dover sole which was overcooked and lacking in flavor and the chicken breast which was overpoweringly seasoned with mustard - huge smears of mustard that the spaetzle was soaked in. I will say the wine recommendations were spot on and he allowed us to taste the wine before pouring the glass which we appreciated. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here but if you are in the area and you want to sit outside I would recommend it.

• Visited April 2013

Calgary, Canada
“some good and some not so good”
Reviewed 13 April 2013

service was good, very attentive. Eric Greenspan was there and seemed to overview the kitchen staff and asking patrons if their meals were good. I went there to try the short rib grilled cheese but was very disappointed, didn't appease to my palate, was too sweet instead of savory. the potato soup however was divine, and I would go back again just to order that. also tried the gnocchi gratin and that was just ok, and found it a bit to sweet.

• Visited April 2013
Arcadia
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

After seeing the Eric Greenspan on next iron Chef competition and reviewing the menu we were very excited to eat there. Unfortunately, the food did not live up to our expectations. We ordered 10 of the 20 possible items on the menu. Almost every dish was either over salted or under seasoned or a complex mixture of different tastes that did not mix well. Lastly, as a matter of courtesy, if the chef is going to walk past seven or eight tables to greet a Hollywood celebrity he should probably acknowledge the rest of his customers.

• Visited March 2013
“A few stand out dishes”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Went to this restaurant because I had a groupon deal. The lobster salad was incredible! I think it's the best on the menu. My friend ordered the fish which was okay. The band that played was awesome! Also the green tea creme brûlée was incredible!!! Staff was very friendly.

• Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Average food but good service”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Went for LA Dine week and ordered a variety of dishes. Grilled cheese sandwich is what they are known for but it was too cheesy. The 2 pork belly dishes we ordered were very good and the mussels were good too. That was the only good thing we had a conversation about for the whole dinner. Risotto - too rich. Tuna tartar - alright. Salad - bla. Beet soup - so so. Beef - little chewy. Fish - ok. There were 6 of us and we ordered different things on the menu but no one really enjoyed the dinner. It wasn't bad but I would not be going back again. The wait staff was the best part of our experience.

• Visited January 2013