“Could do better”

Banana Bungalow Hollywood
Chester, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed here for 2 days in January 2011, First impressions were not good, we arrived in the middle of the afternoon and the rooms were still not cleaned, even after the cleaners had been in you could still say it wasn't tidy. We travelled for 12mnths so have expereinced plenty of hostels, unfortunately this wasnt one of the better ones. Plus points was the free breakfast and wifi which is common in the USA to get these anyway. Location wise this was brilliant, step out of the hostel on you are on the Hollywood Boulevard ) walk the stars.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

I checked in the hotel and paid for two weeks which totaled $871. Due to an unexpected family illness I had to check out after 3 days. I was told no refund would be given for the remaining 11 nights I paid for and they essentially stole $617 dollars from me. I filed a claim dispute with my bank today to try to get my money back that they are stealing form me.
On top of that the rooms are disgusting with sticky carpeting, roaches, and dirty stained sheets. Constant loud music and partying through the night into the morning with management not caring or doing anything about it. There are prostitutes and drug dealers right outside the building and possibly your room all night. Someone was stabbed right outside my room the first night I was there and the constant sound of gunfire was terrifying.

The location is horrible their are sirens form police cars and ambulances going by all night. I maybe slept 1 hr in the 3 nights I was there due to the noise and fear of death.

This Place SUCKS if it was free i wouldn't stay there. On top of that they are thieves and will steal your money if they get the chance, STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Concernedtraveler54

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

My experience with Banana Bungalow went from bad to worse very quickly. We arrived after a long flight in the early hours to be greeted by rude and unhelpful staff. There were three of us so we paid for a private room with a kitchen. When we entered it had an overwhelming stench of industrial cleaner, so we opened the windows to be greeted by the overwhelming smell of marijuana. Complaining about either did nothing to fix the problem. The taps in the bathroom were slimy and the sheets on the beds were full of holes.
First thing in the morning we asked to speak to someone in charge as we were not willing to stay the full ten days we had paid for. We were told different stories by different people who it turned out had no authority at all. We left anyway and were told by one "manager" we would be refunded. We were then told a week later by his "boss" when we went there to chase it up that they wouldn't refund us after all. Then they agreed to a partial refund. As of yet we have still not received the refund even though they gave us a receipt to say that it had been processed.
I've been told that the share accommodation is fine as long as you don't have any problems, but if you do, be prepared to deal with rude and unhelpful staff who have no idea what they are doing.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank rastheaussie
Cronulla, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

I wouldn't suggest staying at this place to anyone.
Location is ok but so loud that it makes a decent night sleep a little hard.
The drain in the shower was blocked, the shower curtain was filthy and I am unsure of the last time that place was cleaned properly.
First 2 nights I was on the top bunk. The heating system points up and it was like a sauna up there but cold when down at ground level.
There were not cups/bowls/plates or knives and forks. The fridge was full of crap that I think had been there for weeks and weeks. There was no toaster or really anything to cook with except a fry pan that I wasn't going near.
The internet is the worst internet connection I have ever had so don't rely on the internet for anything because you wont get it.

Will never go back to Banana Bungalow.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank kaytemc
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

was a good hostel had a free bbq night where u got free beer and hotdogs, had a pingpong table basketball court. the only thing is is the small private room had no kitchen or microwave as it states on the website maybe it changed since we were there. the small room is small and it would of een fine but it was sooo hot and only a fan so made me feel a bit sick. also its a masive court yard with all the rooms around it o it can get fairly noisy. not the best hostel if ure not the party type. they have a movie room with theatre seats. woogoo is wicked booked our hollywood tour with him. we had this german driver he was hilarious he was wicked. although some ppl say they have had other ppl and not as good

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

I stayed at Banana Bungalows Hollywood in August 2010. I was travelling with 2 females friends and it was the first stop on our trip around America. The room we were meant to have at the hostel was still in the process of moving out the previous guests so we were given another. The shower/bath was blocked up and people still had been using it to shower. It eventually was unblocked by using a toilet plunger. The beds were noisy and very shaky and unstable. The curtains had fallen down and the kitchen was filled with trash and rotting food from pervious occupants. This being said, the location was fantastic, the price was decent and SOME of the staff were very helpful in getting around. The breakfast was also enjoyable as was the free tea and coffee. Unfortunately the kitchen kept running out of cups which when reported to staff was failed to act upon.
Things which were difficult but couldn't really be helped were the noise factors with other guests late into the night and early in the morning.
All in all it was enjoyable but later in the trip we stayed at Banana Bungalows WEST Hollywood and found it a far superior hostel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ms_pinkberry
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

I stayed here for a while last year. And, to be honest it was terrible. Location wise, ok great...it's a 15min walk (or 5 on the bus, bus stop located right outside hostel) to Highland and such.

-I didn't get bed bugs myself, but i saw 3 serious cases of it on fellow travellers during my stay. And all the staff did about it was shrug their shoulders and tell the traveller to simply 'flip their matress'. I also witnessed alot of pot smoking iby guests and staff n the vacinity (ok i know it;s california, but come on!)

-The staff are unhelpful, bossy, accusing, and insulting towards guests.One member of staff i'm sure is a sex pest and the manager...as well as being a disgusting human being..... i'm convinced he has some dodgy dealings going on. VERY dodgy!!!! If you drop a piece of litter you will get an eviction notice on your door, actually, if you do anything you'll be threatened in some way. Horrible, horrible staff. *sigh*

-The people you get staying are wonderful. I made some great friends and partied hard with them.
-Nightlife. Well, they have some good parties on a wednesday night to get the hostels together, and organise some pretty cool evenings out to various bars and such. Not absolutely everyone's cup of tea...but well worth checking out. The staff who collect you to take you places are wonderful , wonderful people.

-Sleep. If you are lucky enough to get a bunk without bed bugs, it's a pretty decent sleep. Yeah the beds wobble if the guy beneath you moves, but expect it for $25 a night. There is a noise curfew which helps...but if you are a late coming back to the hostel and make more than a whisper you will be spoken to in a nasty manner by whoever is on duty. Then expect an eviction notice.....

Great if you are in town for one or two nights as a stop off, but do not expect any help from the staff (who acutally are mostly guests doing 7 hour shifts 6 days a week in any of the banana bungalows to 'pay' for their beds).
Keep your head down and get out as quickly as you can. And check your change before you leave.
If you intend on staying in Hollywood any longer though, i suggest you find somewhere else. STAY AWAY FROM THE BANANA BUNGALOW HOSTELS!!! FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR SANITY!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo