“Terrible stay, exact opposite of my first review of this hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks

Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks
Ranked #53 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
North Pole, Alaska
“Terrible stay, exact opposite of my first review of this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

We arrived the evening of the 6th and was greeted with we have the king smoking room you reserved ready for you, I told the man that is not what we reserved and he then informed me that the original room that I had reserved with a credit card had been given to another guest by mistake and this was the only room left. He was friendly and also called other area hotels, they were full as well, I had no option but stay in the smoking room. When I complained more he told me that he would give me a reduced rate ($99), the rate is not why I booked this property, the way we were treated in the past was. I told him if I had not shown up even though they sold my room, I would have still been charged the original rate, and that was the room I wanted.

From the hall, the tag on the door said it was a non-smoking room, my wife stated, maybe he made a mistake and it is a non-smoking room, as soon as I inserted the key card and opened the door it was very obvious it was a smoking room as the smell blasted into the hall. We entered into the room and started to sit down and the chair in the room but it was severely stained, looked like someone had pee'd or pooped on it. There were cigarette burns on the sink in the bathroom and overall the entire room smelled terrible. My wife and I were flying home the next day and neither of us got more than 1 - 2 hours of sleep because every time one of us would move, the stink of cigarette smoke would come from the covers moving.

The next morning when we checked out I stopped at the front desk, the lady there said she was the one that had assigned rooms each day and that she specifically remembers assigning a non-smoking room to us. She asked what could be done to fix the situation and I told her (while pointing to the Hampton guarantee) that I should not have to pay for a room I reserved and paid for in advance and then received the exact opposite of what was purchased. She told me that it was too early in the morning, the manager was not there and she would discuss it with him and if he approved, she would waive the charge. I provided my cell phone number and asked to be called when the manager was there. 3 hours later, just prior to boarding our flight I called back, spoke with the same lady and was told, the manager did approve waiving the cost, but I never received a call from the manager.

While glad I did not have to pay for that deplorable room, I am shocked that I did not hear from the management staff. I also feel it was criminal that a room that I had reserved and secured with a credit card could be sold to another guest. I am also amazed Hilton still has smoking rooms, what a disgusting place to expect people to work (housekeepers and guests) and stay, I understand providing an area for smoking, but in rooms is obsolete. It is no wonder that it was the last place available.

While in the military I was deployed multiple times, I can think of at least three locations that I would rather stay at than this property if this is the level of service and type of room they will provide. If I had to book a room tomorrow in the same part of the city, I definitely would not return here at this time, if this is how I can expect to be treated. If you do not mind possible staying in a stinking room, taking a chance your reservation will not be honored and then as another person posted, having to prove what you reserved, this might be the place for you. Overall a very disappointing ending to a very good visit to California.

Room Tip: Its like a trip to vegas, this is my third stay at this property, the first two were good, this one...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Laterisers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

When we're in Sherman Oaks, we usually stay at the Courtyard Marriott. However, we were never pleased with the hotel and the price, so we thought we'd try the Hampton Inn. We're really glad we did! The room and bathroom were nicely sized, plus there was a lot of counter space in the mini-kitchen (fridge/microwave/bar sink) area. Best of all, this area had a large mirror with good lighting, which enabled two of us to get ready at the same time. Our room, which was at the back of the hotel, was so quiet that we accidentally left the window open all night and slept very well. We actually forgot that we left the window open. The only nit-picky negatives I can think of are that the breakfast area was small (we had to take our food back to the room) and that the hotel used scented cleaning products and room spray. We asked them not to spray the room perfume in our room, but they did anyway. At any rate, that's not enough to keep us from returning. We will just have to remind them more than once next time not to spray our room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ScarlettMX5
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

As Hampton Inns go, this one ranks below the median. I used to stay at the Courtyard (formerly a Radisson) over on Ventura Blvd., but they started raising their rates so I was happy when they built this Hampton Inn. I've stayed here twice now and both experiences were so-so.

Upon check-in this time, I was told I had a double with queen beds. I informed them I'd reserved a king bed. It took me digging through my luggage to produce a printed copy of the confirmation email before he finally believed that I had a king reserved. Then, it took him another 15 minutes to put me in a room... during which time, I watched him put 2 phone calls on permanent "hold" and then finally just quit answering the ringing phone. So, overall, my impression of the service level and staff competency wasn't good.

The most inconvenient thing here -- and the reason I probably won't stay here again -- is the parking lot. Clearly, it doesn't have enough spaces for a full hotel and many of the spaces it does have are narrow and inaccessible. Once you have your car in a space, you're reluctant to leave even to go get dinner for fear that you'll come back and the lot will be full. The neighborhood's sketchy, too, so the prospect of having to park somewhere nearby wasn't appealing, either.

Finally, even though this hotel isn't many years old, they're renovating the lobby area. So, they're serving breakfast in a limited space and there wasn't any seating available. The only option was to grab something and take it back to your room to eat.

I'll probably head back to the Courtyard on the next trip... or look for something else.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FlyGuy47
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

We usually stay at Hampton Inns, and in fact had just stayed at one the week before in Las Vegas. While the Las Vegas Hampton was perfect, this hotel was just average. The rooms were adequate, but smaller than most other Hamptons, the breakfast was as good as most,. The problem that that property has is that they do NOT have enough parking for their facility. That is, they do not have enough spaces to accommodate their guests. They know about the situation, and try to help, including letting people park in every available area whether it is designed for parking or not, but still if you get in later in the evening, you could have to find street parking. It is not a good situation. Another small thing... and this admittedly IS small: But each evening when we came in, they were out of warm cookies. We jokingly asked about it, and they said, each night, that they ran out. Now, and again this is small, but it seems the idea of having warm cookies for guests is a wonderful, welcome to the hotel idea, and to say that they are out, and only make a certain amount, seems cheap, and leaves you with the opposite feeling, like you are not a welcome guest that they want to accommodate, but a nuisance that needs to be put up with. That was kind of the feeling we got in general, which is unusual for a Hampton Inn., So, all in all, it is an OK place to stay, but not up to the generally high standards of other Hamptons we have stayed at.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pianoman822
La Selva Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

We went to visit our son in Los Angeles/Hollywood and definitely did not want to stay in downtown LA or Hollywood. Read here about valet fees to park your car overnight at the big hotels (valets are everywhere in LA but this ensures there is parking for the hotel or restaurant you visit). We found Hampton Inn at Sherman Oaks/Los Angeles right here on Trip Advisor (score again) and were very happy with our reservations (call the hotel directly for the best deal of course) and their suggestions for our stay. They put us on the fourth floor at the back (away from smoking rooms, although we never smelled any smoke in the hotel, and the back rooms are away from Sepulveda Blvd street noise, not that we ever heard any), upgraded us from the two queen beds to a king size bed larger room (microwave and refrigerator) which was nice for our five-day stay. The hotel staff were all smiling and pleasant, the continental breakfast was very satisfying (some form of eggs, meat and potatoes every day), waffles, toast, bagels, fresh fruit (grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, grapes), oatmeal, cold cereal, juices, apples, bananas, oranges, and there was fresh coffee available all day long. There were even fresh baked cookies and juice in the evening to snack on. There is an inside pool and we used it one evening to rest and relax our sore bodies from sitting in the car all day. It is right off the 405 freeway, easy to get to, only 15-30 minutes from LA/Hollywood depending on the time of day and traffic. The other guests were friendly, many staying here before. Very clean, good beds, parking full but there was always a place even when we came in at 2:00 AM one night after going to the LA County Fair.

Room Tip: Ask for the back side of the hotel as they are supposed to be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank schmidtmba
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

The Hampton is very near the 405 and not far from a mall with good restaurants. The rooms were nice, the beds were comfortable and the breakfast was convenient. The parking was tight, but we managed to find a spot even though we didn't come back to the hotel until about 11pm. I would definitely recommend this Hampton to anybody.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelerforfun49
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We are Hilton Honors, so we got upgraded to this huge king studio. It had alcoves for the bed and kitchen. The staff was very helpful. The a/c was good and the room was clean. The bed was the standard Hampton bed; I felt like I was at home.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family