While the hotel is supposedly situated in Sherman Oaks (and I guess it is, "technically") it is only a short block from the Van Nuys city limits. As someone who used to live in the San Fernando Valley, I'll tell you that one block can make a big difference in terms of area and the people who inhabit it. Sherman Oaks, for the most part, is nice; this part of "Sherman Oaks," not so much. It is however relatively close to Universal Studios and a 405 freeway entrance/exit, so that is convenient.
Our room (413) overlooked a couple of rundown apartment buildings, a neighborhood of old homes and the hotel's small parking lot. The parking situation was our biggest complaint - don't know how they built a hotel with so few spots. Upon arrival the first night, one of the hotel attendants came out and "created" a very tight space for us right outside the lobby doors (I assume they went the extra mile for us because we're Hilton Diamond members).
While the service we were provided was pretty good throughout the visit, we did have a problem while checking in: We were not acknowledged as Hilton Diamond members or offered our snack (as is a customary part of Diamond process), which my husband had to request. He also had to ask what our room number was - the desk attendant simply handed him the keys and didn't mention it. That was disappointing.
The room was adequate - nothing extraordinary. It felt fairly clean, which we appreciated, though I noticed a large black grease smudge on the door, which was rather unsightly. The air conditioner made a tremendous rattling noise when it ran (which was almost constantly). When we arrived, the toilet seat was hanging on by one hinge. We brought this problem to the front desk's attention the next morning, and it was fixed by that evening. We also had to call maintenance late one night because our toilet suddenly blocked. I thought they'd have us wait until the morning to have it fixed, but they sent someone immediately, which we appreciated.
The breakfast buffet was small but adequate, and the attendants were very good about replenishing items before or as the trays of food were emptied. They also did a great job of clearing tables so that seating was almost always available in the small dining area. In the evenings, freshly made cookies are available at the front desk for guests. I took advantage of the round-the-clock tea/coffee that is available downstairs as well.
A couple of other items: The indoor pool felt heated, but one evening there were no towels available. There is a large selection of channels on the television. There are lots of electrical outlets in the room, which was appreciated.
So unimpressed were we with the hotel's kind of scary location that it's unlikely we'll stay there again, unless we're in a real pinch. But the service overall was pretty great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our property has everything you need in order to work, relax and have fun. Free internet, full breakfast and parking plus a heated indoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn And Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks
- Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks Hotel Los Angeles
- Hampton Inn Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn Van Nuys