“A little below the usual standard”

Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks
Ranked #46 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This Hampton was showing its age, and the breakfast service was substandard. It was the only major chain hotel in its area, but for the price I felt it was a bit grubby and in need of modernization. Free internet was nice, but one of the computer/printer connections in the business center didn't work. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here 5 nights with our grandkids while on vacation in LA. This is a very nice Hampton just off 405 with pretty good access to other vacation points in LA without the higher prices. As usual, this hotel had very clean rooms, comfortable beds, adequate breakfast, and somewhat adequate parking. The only thing with the parking is that apparently some people can park their cars continuously in the entry area while others (such as us) have to park in regular parking areas. But...... we enjoyed the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was on the backside, away from 405, and it was very quiet.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

It is really difficult to find a hotel room that will accommodate a family of 5. We were in the Studio City area visiting family and needed a reasonable hotel. We were not looking for anything that had resort like accommodations but something comfortable and affordable.

I was absolutely thrilled with the queen suite that we reserved. The room itself was absolutely huge. I was not expecting the 20 plus foot ceilings. I believe this was only the case for the suite on the top floor but it made the room feel that much bigger. We were traveling with our 3 children ages 20, 17 and 14 so the extra space was wonderful. The room had two queen size beds and a couch that pulled out into a queen size bed.

While we were there I witnessed first hand how hard the housekeeping staff works. Each day I saw them shampooing a different carpet in a guest room. I don't ever remember seeing this at other hotels. The rooms felt very clean and the staff was very friendly.

I love having the option of a free breakfast for our kids. Two of our kids love to make their own waffles and this location had that option.

The location is not in a beautiful area but we chose it due to the proximity to the 405 expressway. This made it very easy to get to all the places we wanted to visit. There was also a large Target across the street in case you need to grab any essential items. We chose this hotel for practicality and were thrilled.

Room Tip: If you are looking to reserve a suite...ask for room 408. This is the room with the 20 plus foot ce...
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have relied on TA to give me guidance for over 10 years now, but this is the first time I really feel like it let me down. I am shocked at the high rating here after staying here 3 nights recently. First of all, this hotel is in Van Nuys NOT Sherman Oaks. It is indeed a central location for a LA tourist, but this area did not feel safe to us at all. As many have already stated, parking is a huge issue. To be exact, there are 96 guest rooms here according to the website and I counted about 40 or so parking spaces plus a few extra for Hilton Diamond members and handicapped guests. Many are marked "compact," yet large SUVs are in them regardless. Otherwise, you will have to park in an addl unsecured lot that is not within view of the hotel, not well lighted and right off the freeway. An empty building with trash all around it and seedy apartment building behind that stands between the lot and the actual hotel. We heard the residents cursing at each other through the open windows one day, and the next day, there was a creepy guy in this lot taking pics of very young teen girls, like photo shoot. The other side of the hotel is flanked by a similar building, which was the view from our window. This is also the first Hampton I have ever stayed in that requires you to swipe your key card to access the elevator, I assume for additional security.
On a positive note, this was about like any other Hampton (I've stayed in about 30), with clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff and a nice free breakfast, and always having that consistency is why I am a repeat customer of this brand, and I will likely continue to be. Once inside, I have no complaints whatsoever about this hotel, and every staff person we encountered was great. It's too bad they can't just pick the building and its staff up and move it somewhere else.
I have to wonder of all the great ratings here were based on the hotel and/or staff itself (which are deserving), and some folks, like us on the first night, just may not have realized where this place is really located. A simple Google search of crime and gang activity for the Van Nuys area while in my hotel room was enough for me to know I will not stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mrspopeye
Cristian O, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

I'm glad we were given the chance to accommodate you during your stay with us and am very pleased to hear that our team gave excellent service. I would like to go over the parking we have next door and mention that it is well lit through out the night plus we also have security 7 days a week. I understand that our parking was a little fustrating in the past and this is why we had our complimentary valet come in. Since we purchased the lot next door we've canceled our valet system.

I also would like to add that we just finished demolishing the building next door and now we are going to knock down the wall to give access directly from our emmediate parking lot to next doors lot. By August 1st guests will no longer have to walk on the sidewalk to get to our hotel because our two lots will connect giving guests an easily accessible route directly to the lobby entrance.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was a beautiful hotel with amazing and friendly accommodating staff. Breakfast was fantastic. The beds are extremely comfortable. You can't beat the free internet. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Staff was incredible. We lost more than one item and they helped us find our belongings during and after the stay within minutes of notifying staff of our loss. Always felt like staff wanted to go above and beyond to help. I travel often for work and this was my best experience (for the price) in the past several years. Breakfast in the morning is top notch. Best free hotel breakfast I've ever had. Hands down. Wow.

1  Thank Martin A
Reviewed 9 July 2014

you can find very comfortable and cleanings rooms, that you can feel as home , good food , the stuff is very friendly, you can ask anything you need they are there to help you out. the service at the hotel is excelente

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple