“Hoping for better!”

Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Chicago, Illinois
“Hoping for better!”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We were staying in Korea Town so were looking for a place to have brunch on a Sunday morning. After researching we found a place called Square One. We knew parking wouldn't be easy and there was probably going to be a wait so we were prepared. We did find parking in a residential street about three blocks away and waited about 15 minutes for the first available table which was inside. The service was courteous and prompt. We had the grits with bacon and cheddar. The bacon they used wasn't the kind of bacon I'm used to: it was a thicker slice with a lot of fat. The same kind of bacon was found in the omelet we ordered and I ended up having to pick them out of that, too. The omelette we ordered was supposed to have mozzarella but that was missing. The buttermilk pancakes were good but were missing the pecans that were to have been included. Beware of the $5.25 twelve ounce glass of orange juice! Overall, I wasn't overly thrilled about the food. When I return to LA I would most likely try someplace else.

Chicago, Illinois
“BYOJ sign needed”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I am going to make this short and maybe not so sweet. I felt the price for the orange juice was crazy, $5.25 for a 12 oz cup, really? Maybe, I should of asked if this was a BYOJ establishment – Bring Your Own Juice location. Maybe they should put it on their menu or website only on Sunday if you want OJ you will be paying extra for “fresh squeezed” juice by an certified Orange Juice Whisper. The other concern I had was I think they had some exact ham strips that they were trying to pass off as bacon. Normally, I would not have cared but this type of pork product did not work well in my grits and my omelet. The menu said that my omelet would have some mozzarella cheese (not) and basil (not). Besides the all these bad comments the portions were good sizes and the wait staff was sufficient. The Pancakes were good. They sat us pretty quickly after they gave us an estimate of 20 minutes. Overall I had a decent experience at Square One and would probably go back if I was not visiting from Chicago. If you do go and you enjoy having a large glass of OJ with your breakfast I might recommend going to Vons or Ralphs first and pick up a carton and bring it with you to save on money.

Brooklyn, New York
“Great breakfast spot”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Great breakfast or brunch spot and bonus points for serving breakfast all day. In an odd location but worth the trip. The patio is a lovely spot, feels very relaxed. Would definitely come back and would recommend.

Denver
“Good food and excellent patio”
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

We just Mother's Day b'fast at Square One. We are visiting our family here in L. A. We always try to go to Sq. One for b'fast when we are here. The food is great and the service is excellent. Eating on the patio is the way to go if the weather is good. On the weekend get there early as the line can get long.

• Visited May 2013
LA
“Service wasn't there.”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Just ate here and the service was very poor. Not attentive, no refills, no check once our table had been cleared. Food was not good enough to outweigh the service. I won't be returning. Go to Millies if you want your coffee refilled. That guy is on top of it.

• Visited January 2013