“Suite Find”

Ranked #23 of 91 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
New York
“Suite Find”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I'm staying at Cinema Suites this week. So far it seems perfect for the kind of traveler that doesn't need full-service luxury.

My room is #3, the Shangri-la Room, which is in front. As some previous reviews mention, you do get some street noise, but this peters out after midnight. I'm a light sleeper and it doesn't really bother me, except when a motorcycle that left its muffler in San Francisco vrooms by, but, hey, you'd hear that in the back too.

The room is great, I wish I lived in it. Big bedroom, big bathroom, little connecting corridor with a big closet and a dresser. Bathroom has a shower AND a bathtub. Pictures on the website are accurate, it's got a red-and-black Chinese motif.

The inn's living room is very comfortable, lots of decoration but it doesn't come off as kitschy. I'm working here on East Coast hours, so I haven't had a chance to stay for breakfast yet, but they put up coffee on a timer for whenever the first person needs it.

The neighborhood is unusual, but deceptively convenient. The B&B is near the intersection of Fairfax Ave. and Olympic Boulevard. San Vicente Blvd crosses diagonally, taking you up to Wilshire Blvd to the Northwest. North of Olympic, Fairfax is a nondescript mix of commercial and residential (with a Johnny Rockets, crossing Wilshire where the Los Angeles County Museum of Art campus (including the La Brea tar pits) begins. South of Olympic is Little Ethiopia, there's about a dozen restaurants there.

Right at the 3-way intersection, there's a Starbucks, very convenient to the inn for snacks and drinks during the day. There's also a 24-hour Carl's Jr. at that intersection. Three bus lines cross this intersection, one on each street, and two of them 24-hours, and there's another 24-hour line up at Wilshire, so you don't absolutely need a car here. If you do have a car, it's sufficiently central to be a good jumping off point to other parts of LA, and they say parking is easy on the street.

San Vincente doesn't have much commerce, but it's the nicest street to walk on, looks a little like the Garden District in New Orleans. Wilshire, theoretically part of the Miracle Mile here, has a lot of empty storefronts, not very lively or welcoming. To the east on Wilshre, past the variety tower, is the nearest grocery store, a Ralph's, about a 15-minute walk from the inn.

The only problem I've had with the room is that I can't get the wireless network, but that might be my ancient G4 PowerBook. It works fine at the Starbucks, which has free wi-fi, so that's the workaround.

Hosts are welcoming, and I really can't think of a reason not to stay here unless you need hotel services.

Room Tip: Room 3 in the front has average level traffic noise that dissipates after midnight.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Bronxite58

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at Cinema Suites and really enjoyed it! We were surprised by the convenient location. On our first day, we went driving around and couldn't believe how close we were to Beverly Hills, Rodeo Dr., Hollywood Hills, and the Sunset Blvd. Rent a car!!!! Parking was free on Fairfax. The room was nice and our breakfast was GREAT!!!!! It was a bit noisy on Fairfax....

Overall this was a lot of fun!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kayla B
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed at Cinema Suites because I had a number of meetings in the area. The place is well maintained and seemed pretty clean. My only complaint is that there is a lot of noise from Fairfax; it is close to the corner and the traffic backs up. If someone has the radio on loud with the windows open (duh in LA), it is almost like having it in your room. Also on Friday night there is a preacher who "practices" out loud with an amp in one of the adjoining properties--until just after 10 pm (or as I like to call it 1 am Eastern Time).
Aside from this, the folks are VERY friendly and helpful. Breakfast was adequate. I left something in my room and they sent it out to me after I called. Nice touch.
I'd stay here again, but get a room in the back which might be quieter...except for the preacher.

Room Tip: Room in the back!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gefilte63
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2012

“A Historically Relevant Hollywood Home, Complete with Film Star in Residence”
Recently I planned on moving to Los Angeles from Honolulu and wanted an experience other than what a tourist to the area would get. I have been working for Westin/Starwood Hotels for 22 years and have had the opportunity to stay in numerous amazing destinations around the world with my employee discounted rates. With my employee discount, I could have stayed at the “W Hollywood Hotel” for less than Cinema Suites, but I wanted the feeling of Los Angeles from a regular neighborhood perspective. I chose Cinema Suites because of the location and very tastefully decorated rooms. It wasn’t until after making my room booking that I uncovered the historical Hollywood significance of this home. Besides being residence to a current actress, this home has had Hollywood Royalty both visiting and living in it, such as: Gloria Swanson, Greta Garbo and former residence of a famous Hollywood Furrier to such stars as Joan Crawford, to name one. I booked my stay of two nights in the “Small Room”, since I was only in Los Angeles for 48 hours and then leaving for three nights in Sacramento and San Francisco. I had planned on staying at a different property upon my return to Los Angeles later in that week but after speaking with Michael (Manager/Reception), I decided to book five more nights in the “Hollywood Room”, all due to his exceptional customer service and friendly demeanor. I wanted to share this experience with someone, so I invited a close friend from High School and she invited her friend as well. We booked an extra additional room, the “Shangri-La Room”, which had an adjoining door to my room. This was wonderful! This was such a fun idea and it felt as if we were all kids again! We pretended to be “Will and Grace” going back and forth between each other’s rooms. This was the time of my life and I will never forget it.
Here is a breakdown of our experience:
“AMENITIES”
-Fluffy, clean white towels and linens
-Extra pillows, blankets
-Space heater
-Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap and high quality hairdryer
-Iron and board
-Satellite Television
-Wireless internet access
-Kitchen available for guest use
“THE OWNER”
Ms. Dianne Bennett was a wonderful and amazing hostess. She greeted all of us at the door when we checked-in afterhours. I knew if I wanted to move to Los Angeles, Ms. Bennett was the best person to speak to. I hoped I would have the opportunity to sit down and have a conversation regarding moving to Los Angeles with someone who knows what is really going on.
Besides being the owner of Cinema Suites, Ms. Bennett is a film star herself. She has been in such films as “White Lightnin’ Road” and “The Match Off”. I spent time in the sitting room, which was filled with an eclectic mix of décor but my favorite thing was admiring the photographs that adorned the fireplace mantle. I especially enjoyed eating breakfast next to a beautiful oil painting of Ms. Bennett.

“BREAKFAST”
Breakfast was available daily until 9:30 and served by Mrs. Garcia. Even though I woke-up extremely late, Mrs. Garcia offered me some pineapple and fresh squeezed juice. What service and with a sincere smile. Once my friends arrived, we looked forward each morning to rising early so we could sit at the large antique dining table and enjoy Mrs. Garcia’s cooking. This was truly the highlight of each of our days!

“A Historically Relevant Hollywood Home, Complete with Film Star in Residence”“

MY FINAL WORDS”
My stay at Cinema Suites and being in Los Angeles was so amazing that a few tears were hidden under my dark sunglasses as I stepped onto the plane, back to Honolulu.

Room Tip: Each room has such delightful charm, choose the one which best suites your style. Here are the ones...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank John R
Reading, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We were recently in LA to visit our daughter, and chose Cinema Suites which is in the same neighborhood. Compared to LA's larger hotels, this small (4 room) bed and breakfast is VERY reasonably priced. The decor certainly surprised us - this is NOT the quaint New England B&B we've visited in the past. This Spanish stucco house is filled with an eclectic mix of Oriental and Art Deco touches. But it was everything we could have hoped for; clean, friendly, conveniently located, and quiet. Each and every staff member was as attentive as could be. Breakfast; a choice of cereals, breads, fresh cut melons and fruits, eggs - any way you like them. We planned to be on the road early on our last morning - 5 ore 6 am. What a wonderful surprise to find someone up in the kitchen, and brewing coffee for us! Recommended with confidence for anyone looking for a reasonably priced spot in LA.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank mqrussell
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My daughter and I live in San Diego and travel to Los Angeles for pleasure frequently. For a change of pace, we decided to stay at a Bed & Breakfast. We are so glad we did!
The property is beautiful and in an excellent location. The home is so comfortable and very well appointed. It offers all the amenities of a fine hotel. Having access to the kitchen and dining room was so nice when we brought food "home".
I again want to commend the location. My daughter and I were visiting the Los Angeles County Museum of Art on this trip. We had no idea the close proximity to Cinema Suites. Imagine our surprise when we realized it was literally 2-3 city blocks walking distance! It saved us from paying for parking and felt like we lived in the neighborhood. Speaking of which is absolutely beautiful. The homes are all unique and charming. Anyone would be fortunate to live here.
The staff is terrific! Michael, one of the Innkeepers, went above and beyond to hold the reservation for the room we chose. We had the pleasure of meeting the homeowner, Dianne. She is so sweet and kind to open her home to guests. I cannot say enough about Margarita. She not only does the housekeeping but greets you in the morning with breakfast made to order, served in the formal dining room. We especially enjoyed the fresh-squeezed orange juice and fresh fruit. Margarita is such a nice woman and like part of the family. She takes such pride in her work.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Cinema Suites and look forward to our next trip.

Room Tip: A bed is a bed is a bed... You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JenandJill
Edgewater
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night during our honeymoon trip as we drove from San Francisco to San Diego. We stayed in the Hollywood Room, which was very nicely decorated and had a beautifully updated, clean, private bath. The host greeted us and showed us the house and our room. He was very pleasant. Breakfast was made to order by their friendly assistant and was very good. I had read a lot of nice comments about the owner/operator, Dianne Bennett, and was very much looking forward to meeting her. Unfortunately, we never did. She was in the office on the phone when we were eating breakfast and never came in to introduce herself, so I was disappointed about that. Only other complaint is that the bed was very uncomfortable. My husband and I both rolled to the center and woke up with sore backs. Also, we could here everything going on in the bathroom of the room next to ours as there was a door in our room that obviously opened in to the bathroom of that room. It was securely locked, but this did take away some of our feeling of privacy and we felt the need to be extra quiet. That being said, we would probably stay in the same room again if the mattress/boxspring were replaced. It is definitely a busy part of the city, which is good if this is what you want. Our room was in the back so traffic noise was not an issue. Overall it was a nice place and good value other than the few things mentioned. Really wish we had the opportunity to meet Dianne.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly L
dianne3562, Manager at Cinema Suites Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
We were aware of the problem of sound traveling between Room 4, the Hollywood Room, and Room 3, The Shangri-la Room, due to the original design of the house. Recently we completed a remodel to remove the problem. Where there used to be a door between Room 4 and the bathroom of Room 3, there is now a wall, which was built using professional soundproofing materials.

Regarding the bed that was in Room 4 during your stay, your comments were much appreciated. Just for the record, the mattress was a $1200 Beautyrest pillowtop, and people have commented that it was the most comfortable bed that they have ever slept on. The lesson we took from your review reminds us of the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. We don't want beds that are too soft, or beds that are too hard. We want beds that are "just right." The mattress has been replaced by a firmer pillowtop mattress.