“lots of extras and good service”

Inn at Playa Del Rey
Ranked #2 of 88 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“lots of extras and good service”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights last weekend. It is a lovely hotel with a friendly staff, clean rooms, great views, wonderful public areas, a tasty breakfast, fresh baked cookies all day, an afternoon wine social and free use of beach bikes. We enjoyed it all, especially the beach cruisers. We rode through the marina, down Venice beach, all the way into Santa Monica and back. It was one of the highlights of our weekend.

If you like Mexican food, there's a wonderful hole-in-the-wall called Senor G's just down the street from the hotel, on the way to the beach.

Room Tip: Request a room on with a view of the wetlands.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Our stay at the Inn at Playa del Ray was the perfect ending to a fantastic holiday. Friendly staff, free Happy Hour drinks and snacks. Great restaurants within walking distance. Close proximity to the airport but without the noise. Beach nearby, couldn't ask for more unless you wanted the hustle and bustle or shopping of Downtown LA
We loved it.

Room Tip: Try for a North facing room, overlooking the Marina del Ray - but distant. The northeast corner room...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Just spent 3 nights at the inn , the first night was in a standard room at the front , this proved somewhat noisy for me due to the traffic- I am a light sleeper where as my husband was fine . Nights 2 & 3 spent in an upgraded room at the back , fantastic great view very quiet. I would definitely recommend , staff could not have been mote helpful, loved it

Stayed September 2013
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 12 September 2013

So glad we found this place. We booked a room for my parents who were visiting over Labor Day weekend. (New baby = no room at our house.)

My mom cannot stop raving about the Inn at Playa del Rey. And I can see why. We came over and joined them for breakfast one morning. The views of the nature preserve (and the birds) from the light-filled breakfast room were awesome enough, but then factor in the delicious breakfast and the incredible warmth of the Inn's staff. They took such good care of my folks.

The entire inn was so clean and fresh and their room looked so comfortable. And my Mom is PICKY- if it wasn't wonderful, she would not have gushed on and on about how much she loves it there.

I will definitely book rooms in the future for any of my family coming to visit us in LA. It's like a home away from home.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Theo A
Kalapana, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This place is like a pearl in an oyster. Located on a marsh and a block from the ocean one could not tell they were only a short hop from LAX and the business of LA. Not a converted old mansion this place was built to be a boutique hotel and it fits the bill. The staff is over accommodating and having bikes available was very very sweet. Afternoon tea and wine hit the spot. The rooms a bit small but comfortable.

Room Tip: Non-street view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lorn D
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

What is there not to like about this wonderful place. The staff are really welcoming giving a guided tour on arrival. The rooms are large with huge comfy beds and fluffy pillows. The Inn has a lovely seaside feel with the breakfast room and lounge decorated in fresh colours and lovely furnishings. But the big plus here is the hospitality. We arrived very early in the morning and just expected to be able to leave our bags and then return later to check in, but no, we were given breakfast and told we could relax in the lounge until our room was ready. They then worked really hard to get us into our room as quick as possible and about an hour after arriving we were unpacking! Guests are served wine, cheese, dips & crudités in the evening, all complimentary. Breakfast is delicious, with homemade pastries, yoghurt, cereals, toast, eggs etc. coffee, tea and snacks are left in the breakfast room during the day for guests to help themselves. They also have a honesty fridge with soda's in which you can help yourself to and let them know how many you have had at the end of your stay. The Inn is 5 minutes from the beach and they have beach bikes which you can use to ride along the cycle path which takes you along Venice Beach to Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach. On our day of departure we were able to leave our bags and use the facilities, including staying for the wine & cheese (unfortunately we had to leave before 5pm) if we wished. We only stayed for two nights, but they were the perfect end to our holiday across America before flying home.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I attended a teacher conference the last week of July and The Inn was only 5 minutes from the conference, which was ideal. Also ideal, was being able to walk to the beach everyday after sitting all day in a conference.
When I arrived, I was greated kindly and given a quick tour of the TIPDR before being taken to my room. The common areas -- dining and living rooms were spacious, welcoming, and bright. Fireplaces in both rooms gave a feeling of warmth and home. There was even a common refrigerator to store leftovers from meals taken out.

When I walked in the room, I smiled. I was taken to room 209 on the front side street side of TIPDR. The space was bright and I loved the windows in the room. Those same windows that let in sweet air of the beach also let in all the noise of the cars below. This was fine during the day, but the nights being cool, I wanted to keep the windows open. I tried, but the noise was too much and I had to close the windows and turn on the AC unit directly next to the bed.
The room, itself, was great. Big comfy bed, amazing shower pressure, and a welcoming home baked cookie when I arrived, plus a handwritten note welcoming me personally. Small things.

The staff was kind and always helpful. Smiles all around, I felt that they like their jobs.

Afternoon tea and evening wine were perfect and timed well. One afternoon, when I finished my meetings, I came in and grabbed a yummy muffin and tea and borrowed one of the bikes from TIPDR and rode to Venice Beach. Right along the bike path, it was a nice ride. I returned in time for wine. Chatted with others staying at there, which was lovely too.

The beach and decent restaurants and coffee shops near by helped to make the experience complete.

Oh, breakfast every morning was YUMMY! Don't skip it if you stay here.

Outside of the noise at night from the street cars, it was a great place to stay. I would stay here again and specifically ask for a room on the back side.

• Stayed July 2013
The Kinney
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey
The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
#2 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Inn at Playa Del Rey? Share your experiences!