“very sweet”

Ranked #2 of 88 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Blaricum, The Netherlands
“very sweet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Location is very good : close to LAX and we had to be at LMU. Rooms tastefully designed and nice and big. Breakfast simply great. Don't think too much of the birds in the Wetlands: you must look very carefully with the telescope in the room. Cool though: never had a room with a telescope. Would visit again.

Room Tip: 207 : with fireplace
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

The staff were the best!! They went out of there way for us every day we were there. The food was great and the rooms lovely, but the standout here are the people. We enjoyed walks on the beach and they have free bikes for you to use.

Room Tip: We had a room near the road and we still didn't hear anything, but for a view pay a bit more and...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
San Fran Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I had a last minute business trip to Santa Monica and couldn't find a room in immediate SM area for less than $500 night so gave new app a try called hoteltonight. This Inn at Playa del Rey was listed and while I had no familiarity with Play del Rey, the property looked charming from the photos featured with good ratings and appeared not that far from where I was in Santa Monica so I thought would give it a whirl. Wow, what a delightful surprise and find this place turned out to be.

It was late and I was tired and luckily it was not hard to find property in the dark even though it is located on a bit of an oasis. It felt welcoming from the moment I stepped inside with its lovely light beachy décor. The woman at the front desk even gave me a glass of wine within minutes of arriving.

I scored a nice large room with very comfortable bed with deck overlooking the wetland grounds near marina (and apparently some bird sanctuary). Two chocolate chip cookies also awaited me and Wifi was also available in room.

While I unfortunately didn't have time to enjoy the home-cooked breakfast, had flight out to catch, I really appreciated access to hot coffee and some baked good available in the reception area at 5 AM when had to get up to finish some work before heading to the airport.

And that was another fabulous surprise. LAX was literally straight up the road only 10 minutes away! I had no idea it was that close. In fact, road took me straight to where I had to return rental car.

I will definitely be back! Super pleasant for bit of respite when traveling for work.

Room Tip: Ask for room with deck overlooking the wetlands
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Culver City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I used to stay here a lot for business when I lived out of town, but now that I'm back living in LA, there was little reason. Nevertheless, I decided to take myself out for a weekend treat, and went to my favorite hideaway - the Inn. Summer vacation, at last!

It was just as I remembered: beautiful rooms, friendly staff, tranquil surroundings, and delicious food. I love the new observation deck. Everything looked crisp and fresh.

I always stayed in one of the rooms that face the marsh, and this time was no different. Got there in the late afternoon. Ate my cookies (oh yes, I said cookies!), lounged on my balcony, wine in the lobby, walked to Cantalini's for dinner. Then back for a good night's sleep. Wow. Talk about a comfortable bed! I never wanted to leave it. But I did. Breakfast beckoned. And then a bike ride and peaceful afternoon at the beach. And afternoon wine with some lovely people. Walked to dinner at the still new Playa Provisions (um, yum!). Back to bed (hooray!). One more breakfast, then back to real life.

No, it's not inexpensive (especially in the summertime), but it is worth it. I'm hoping they'll let me live there... then I can really call it home. I'll be back!

Room Tip: If you can afford to pay a little extra, get a room that faces the marsh. All the rooms are pretty...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Plano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

As a mother of three kids under 10, I sometimes consider myself an expert for rating hotels that are good to or with kids. Sometimes we have had to wait hours for a room to be ready when check in was supposed to be at three. Another time, we missed breakfast because we came down TWO MINUTES too late, as we had just switched time zones.

But…the Inn at Playa del Rey, well, they went above and beyond to make our entire family feel welcomed and catered to. First, we came in too late for wine and cheese (for mommy here) – no problem. Melissa poured me a nice glass of wine and offered all the kids some lemonade and snacks.

Then she hauled out the Inn’s “toy wagon” which had something special for each one of mine- not withstanding that they each already had a steamer truck full of new stuff from Disneyland.
Which brings be to my next point. After a three days and nights at Disneyland, then driving up to the Inn on the freeways during rush hour, I really needed peace and quiet and fresh air. The Inn was magically quiet with a little deck off the living room that overlooked a bird sanctuary and the Marina. The kids and I used their little bird book to learn the identity of several of the birds out there on the wetlands.

I had reserved a less expensive standard room which did face the street. But, it had a double set of doors to the outside so with them closed, the room was quiet. Our little radio alarm did not seem to be working so I called down to front desk (before they would think my kids broke it) and someone else came within five minutes with a new one.
Breakfast was fabulous and healthy with great oat meal and fruit choices for my children and a hot egg dish for me.

Then we all headed straight for the beach with towels buckets and shovels, even a beach umbrella all provided by the Inn.
I LOVED the staff. I loved the Inn. It was a great end to a wonderful Southern California trip for a mother and three children.

Did I mention the chocolate chip cookies? I think my kids ate mine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We always look forward to returning to the Inn. It is refreshing and relaxing to be able to sit outside on the balcony and enjoy morning coffee or evening wine. The best location is the back of the inn, overlooking the marina and wetlands. For all of our stays we request the same marina view room; the inn keepers, always accommodating, have never disappointed us. The personalized note and cookies in our room are very welcoming. We love coming back to the Inn.

Every time we return to the Inn, we notice the consistent updating and improvements that add comfort, convenience and enjoyment for guests, such projects as simple as furniture being changed out in the rooms to building a larger deck facing the wetlands.

Early morning coffee is available, we love sitting outside on the balcony and watch nature wake up. Of course, breakfast is always terrific, with a selection of fresh fruits, yogurt, homemade coffee cakes and pastry as well as delicious french toast or egg casseroles.

The best part is being near LA, but a world apart. We park our car in their secure garage and try not to move it for a few days. We are fortunate enough to live in a day's drive, thus we can bring our own bikes and head for the beach bike trails every day. The inn has bikes to loan to guests, which we used to take advantage of when we had to fly into LA. We enjoy the wine and cheese "happy hour" every evening when we can casually chat with other guests. There are some very nice restaurants in walking distance, some long term local favorites as well as fun new ones that have opened in the last couple of years.

This beautiful, comfortable inn is terrific because of the amazing staff. The hosts are attentive, knowledgeable, and very accommodating. The entire staff, from hosts, reception, cooks, to housekeeping, make you feel like welcome guests.

We can hardly wait for our return trip in a couple of months. We always recommend this place to friends.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the wetlands are quiet with interesting views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The front desk attendants were very welcoming. We were shown around the inn quickly upon our arrival. The inn is very cute and peaceful. Reminded me of an inn you may find on the ocean in Maine. Our bed was very comfortable, the mattress was the best! Found the hotel airy and charming. the breakfast room faces the wetlands and has large windows. You help yourself to the little buffet and the places are set with nice china. There is also a large common area and porch you can use. We took advantage of the opportunity to borrow the bikes from the hotel and biked along the bike trail adjacent to the beach. There were some homeless people in the area, but it is Los Angeles and the inn felt safe and secure. I liked the personalized touches of music playing softly on the Bose when you enter you room, a personalized note welcoming us, and fresh baked cookies. Room was very clean, pleasant stay, would recommend to others

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,332 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
#2 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Inn at Playa Del Rey? Share your experiences!