“Average, with above average price”

Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Ranked #26 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersPlatinum level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I had a great time staying at the sofitel in LA. Everything was smooth and wonderful until I invited a bunch of my friend into the bar on a Thursday night only to be told by the bar manager that it was closed...it was 11:50pm and other people sitting there had just received some glasses.

We looked at each other wondering what the problem was. We just wanted a bottle and we could even pour it ourselves. I couldn't see what the big deal was.

The manager instead insisted that we go up to our room and order room service, then bring the bottle down, and then we can relax at the bar. We were all surprised that a hotel such as sofitel would have their guests go upstairs and wait 30mins for room service then bring room service back down, while bottles were just sitting 10ft away from us at the bar. Very unwelcoming if you ask me.

Anyways

Pros:
Great location
Amazing bed!!
I liked the whole room layout (I had room 938)
Housekeeping kept refilling our bathroom supplies.
Everyone is very friendly

Con's:
The bar manager and the bar downstairs

Also on a good note. When I checked out the person helping me at the checkout desk was amazing. I didn't get his name but he is the reason my review went from a 4 star to a 5 star. He took off my first nights order of room service because of the trouble I had with the bar manager.

Overall great hotel and I would stay again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nawaf A
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Nawaf,
Thank you for your review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
I am glad that you enjoyed your room, the location and the staff, but I am very sorry for what happened in the bar.
There are sometimes private parties, but you shouldn't have been asked to go back to your room to come back in the bar later.
I am happy to know that during check out, our staff tried to fix the mistake.
We hope to welcome you back soon,
Nairobi
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We were in LA during December 2013 and after much survey, consideration and reviews I selected the Sofitel for our week long stay. Traveling with a young family necessitates the right hotel and overall I can say that the Sofietl was OK and average for a hotel. Having had the chance to check out some other properties in Beverly Hills which were priced marginally higher, I now regret having not selected one of those as overall the Sofitel was below our expectations.

Check in and getting the room was relatively smooth though despite having our arrival time (which was subsequently 2hrs delayed due to a late arrival from a 16 hrs flight from Dubai!!), the hotel were only able to give us one of our two booked rooms. The 2nd room was made available 2 hrs later which again I find very annoying and frustrating...but we moved on.

The rooms are average...previous reviewers on Tripadvisor have raved about the bed and its comfort, etc...for us it was nothing special. Surprisingly the so called king bed was actually more or less a ,large queen bed compared to other hotels we have stayed in and the adjoining queen double (which is marketed on their website and booking as two queen beds, and there is a surcharge for this when compared to a typical twin room ie two singles) room just had the normal two single beds. When I asked reception if there was perhaps a mistake on this, I was given the usual answer that this is how it is. Again if you can empathise with a long haul traveler, we just accepted and again moved on.

The detailing in the room is again quite ordinary. I would have imagined a bigger room but I was told that typical LA hotel rooms are as what was offered by Sofitel. There was no kettle or tea/coffee sachets, etc in the room and after asking for the same we received this after a couple of hours. At least we received this...at no extra cost. Bathrooms etc are fine though I believe need some updating as it does all look quite dated.

During our stay we opted for inhouse breakfast and this is something I believe the hotel needs to work on. When ordering we repeatedly had to mention what we wanted in our bread baskets and each time they got it wrong ie less than what they were supposed to give. One of the guys who delivered to our room even tried to pass two pieces of ordinary white toast as a 'bread basket' delivery which according to their menu was to include a selection of muffins, toast, pastries, croissants, etc. It took a slight aggressive exchange and firmness which had the situation corrected but again on a holiday this should not be necessary. A hotel of this stature must not look to cut corners or give the guest a feeling of being shortchanged as that leaves a very bad taste of overall evaluation of the place. Anyway, again we moved on.

The valet service is excellent and the guys who run that section are prompt and efficient. Ofcourse I cannot leave the review of this section without saying that it is very expensive...but there is no other way to do this in LA. I even enquired whether I could park at the Beverly Centre across the street to save on the hotel's high charge but that option of leaving the car overnight at the centre is not there. The centre is a nice mall with the usual offerings and trappings of which the Macy's in my opinion is great for shopping. The food court at the mall is quite basic and average though.

All in all an average stay at the Sofitel which given what we paid per night I was hoping for better. The location could be better compared to some of the other properties in Beverly Hills, as this property is somewhat on the outskirt. Would I go back to the Sofitel...unlikely given the many other options to try out in LA and Beverly Hills.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank NIA1011
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your honnest review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
I am happy that you found the valet parking staff great, but I am really sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on the other aspects.
I apologize if you were not able to checkin into your room at your arrival. We do our best, but depending on the occupancy, we sometimes have rooms not ready at checkin.
Regarding your breakfast, thank you for your comment, and as a french brand, for sure the bread basket selection is really important for us. Please be assured I will talk to my team.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future,
Eric Lemaire,
Split,Croatia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I decided to spend one night in the area. After considering reviews on Trip advisor it seemed to me that Sofitel will be best solution. I arrived by the car and was promptly met by vallet driver who took care of my vehicle. I noticed quite a number of these men hanging around giving impression of the very busy place. I was walked in the lobby and shown the front desk where a lady greeted me courteously, keeping light conversation on while completing check in procedure. After few minutes I found myself in my room on the 9th floor - Beverly Luxury Room. I have to admit I had better expectations. Don't get me wrong, the room was fine, large, quite comfortable but I expected more after seeing hotel's own pictures on their web site. I also realized that walls are very tiny as I was able to hear muffled but loud enough conversation from adjacent room. Interesting enough, there was no free bottle of water or coffee/tea making facility in the room.
The "cloudy" bed, as many fellow reviewers describe it, was really like a cloud: super fluffy. I guess it is question of personal preferences and I found it way too soft. There was a gap between mattress and the headrest, about 2 cm (2") due to some electrical junction boxes are located there. I was unable to activate alarm function on otherwise functioning BOSE wave radio and could not find any instructions or user manual for the device. Maybe management thinks BOSE is so widely spread that all guests should know how to operate the device. The reading lights switches are installed so high that I had troubles reaching it (I am 6'1"/186 cm). Generally speaking, lighting in the room does not seem particularly efficient or effective being quite dim even at maximum.
Toiletries are Lanvin and are fairly good. I found several very long hairs in my shower as well as few stains remained from previous guests that went unnoticed by the cleaning staff.
I was awaken by the sound of service trolley being rolled down the hallway and banging of the door somewhere down the same corridor. It was around 7 o'clock in the morning. I wouldn't say that personnel is not careful or considerate enough, but the sound insulation seem to be weak point on the premises.
Checking out was done by the young receptionist and it was quick, efficient and cold. My car was brought up in front of lobby very quickly and after proper identity check, key was given to me.
I took dinner in the hotel's ESTEREL restaurant. I was greeted by the Max who showed me to the table and help me choose dishes and drinks. It is seldom to see waiters who manage to maintain proper distance to the patron while being polite, even warm to certain extent, without being imposing and too friendly. I enjoyed my dinner and time spent in the restaurant.
All in all, fairly good experience, just nothing special. This level of service and quality of the rooms should be expected from hotel of the kind.
At the time I am writing this review on the site itself it said that my overall rating is excellent. I am unable to change this and would rate it as good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your honest review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
I am sorry if we didn't meet your expectations and for the inconvenience you had with the noise and with the cleanliness of the room.
Make sure I will inform my team accordingly.
Otherwise, I am happy that you enjoyed the service and your dinner at Esterel restaurant.
We hope to welcome you back soon,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite overlooking the hills. Wonderful service from valet/check-in to restaurant - friendly and helpful. Kids loved the chocolate madeline! Bed was so comfortable that we slept in and completely missed the buffet breakfast that we paid for! Breakfast is lovely for those days we managed to wake up on time. Nice Hermes toiletries. Cute little pool at the back of the hotel (not great but serves its purpose). Will definitely return on our next LA visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you for your great review of Sofitel Los Angeles!
I am happy to know that the comfort of our beds made you miss the breakfast buffet in the restaurant!
I am also glad that your children enjoyed the chocolate madeleine prepared by our French chef.
We hope to welcome you back soon with your family,
Melbourne,Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed twice in the last 6 weeks.
The rooms are luxurious with a bed as if you are sleeping on a cloud.
The facilities are all there..gym, pool ,free computers etc. and the staff to everything to make your stay perfect.
The location is perfect for strip shopping and superb restaurants as well as Bev Centre with Macys and Bloomingdales.
Our home in Los Angeles whenever we are there!!

Room Tip: Hollywood hills View room..try for a corner room they are bigger in this class of room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review of Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills!
I am so glad to hear that you feel at home in our property!
I am happy if our staff make you feel so welcome.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I travelled to LA for the first time and our first Hotel experience means we will most definitely return. First stop Sofitel Beverley Hills where we were greeted with a warm friendly smile from Stefan. This guy really paid attention at Hospitality school! We were situated across from the shopping centre which my wife absolutely enjoyed, so did my credit card. As we enjoy walking, we made our way to The Grove (20-25min walk) which, at the time, hosted the TV show Extra. Loads to do here and great eateries as well.
The room was fairly large, and the bed....well, felt like you were sleeping on a cloud!
I must also commend the friendly staff at the concierge. They really went out of their way to try and assist us. The whole experience was phenomenal and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Beverley Hills.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Diego,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills!
I am delighted to know you had the impression to sleep on a cloud thanks to our Sofitel beds and that you and your wife enjoyed going to the Beverly Center and the Grove.
I will certainly thank Stephane for his smile and his warm welcome.
We hope to welcome you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Loews Hollywood Hotel
Loews Hollywood Hotel
#17 of 351 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,448 reviews

Been to Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!