“Beautiful hotel in LA”

Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Ranked #25 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and we booked a suite overlooking the Hollywood Hills. The suite was superb with a balcony.The view at night was really beautiful. The hotel is well located with the Beverly Centre next door and Farmers Market within walking distance. We travelled by taxi to Rodeo drive. the doormen are very friendly and give good travel tips. the people at front desk were also very friendly and efficient. The concierge gave me good advice and were helpful. Loved the Hermes amenities. All in all a very pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your great review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the Hermes amenities, the staff efficiency, and of course the view on the Hollywood Hills from your suite!
We hope to welcome you back soon,

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

Reviewed 20 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Reviewed 18 January 2014

One of the best hotels! And we have stay all over the world. This hotel's service was on PAR with the service at the George V in Paris. From the moment we arrived we were treated as frequent guests. Everyone made an effort to make sure our stay was pleasant. The food was good and the service was great. The second morning in the restaurant the waiter remembered my preferences from the first day and took care of everything without my asking...I can't say enough good things about the staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Michael,
Thank you so much for your great review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
This is a really nice compliment to be compared with the George V in Paris, and I am glad that our staff made everything they can to make you feel welcome and at home!
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Hotel is in a very good spot and you can jump the Hop on Hop Off bus right across the street if you have an interest in that sort of thing - but the bus goes all the way around before connecting with the rest of the bus lines to the beach. I thought the service was OK - it seemed everyone was standing around looking for a tip, including the guy who checked me in - I mean - seriously. Check-in is his job and should not warrant a tip. The maids forgot about me and failed to leave the complimentary water. They left the room window open. I began to wonder if I was on clean sheets...it was strange. The pool and fitness center are hard to access - real round about. The bar was OK with a rude bartender who told me - "you sure can eat" after I ate a small kale salad, salmon dinner and a puny desert - and trust me - I am not a large person but I had missed lunch that day. The reality is that you will pay a bundle to stay at some of the other places and this place wasn't too overpriced.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear guest,
Thank you or your review of Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills.
I am very sorry that we didn't meet your expectations and for the 2 incidents you had with the complimentary bottle of water and at the bar.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Eric lemaire, general Manager

Reviewed 15 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
6  Thank Michael R

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I had a great time staying at the sofitel in LA. Everything was smooth and wonderful until I invited a bunch of my friend into the bar on a Thursday night only to be told by the bar manager that it was closed...it was 11:50pm and other people sitting there had just received some glasses.

We looked at each other wondering what the problem was. We just wanted a bottle and we could even pour it ourselves. I couldn't see what the big deal was.

The manager instead insisted that we go up to our room and order room service, then bring the bottle down, and then we can relax at the bar. We were all surprised that a hotel such as sofitel would have their guests go upstairs and wait 30mins for room service then bring room service back down, while bottles were just sitting 10ft away from us at the bar. Very unwelcoming if you ask me.

Anyways

Pros:
Great location
Amazing bed!!
I liked the whole room layout (I had room 938)
Housekeeping kept refilling our bathroom supplies.
Everyone is very friendly

Con's:
The bar manager and the bar downstairs

Also on a good note. When I checked out the person helping me at the checkout desk was amazing. I didn't get his name but he is the reason my review went from a 4 star to a 5 star. He took off my first nights order of room service because of the trouble I had with the bar manager.

Overall great hotel and I would stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nawaf A

Dear Nawaf,
Thank you for your review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
I am glad that you enjoyed your room, the location and the staff, but I am very sorry for what happened in the bar.
There are sometimes private parties, but you shouldn't have been asked to go back to your room to come back in the bar later.
I am happy to know that during check out, our staff tried to fix the mistake.
We hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We were in LA during December 2013 and after much survey, consideration and reviews I selected the Sofitel for our week long stay. Traveling with a young family necessitates the right hotel and overall I can say that the Sofietl was OK and average for a hotel. Having had the chance to check out some other properties in Beverly Hills which were priced marginally higher, I now regret having not selected one of those as overall the Sofitel was below our expectations.

Check in and getting the room was relatively smooth though despite having our arrival time (which was subsequently 2hrs delayed due to a late arrival from a 16 hrs flight from Dubai!!), the hotel were only able to give us one of our two booked rooms. The 2nd room was made available 2 hrs later which again I find very annoying and frustrating...but we moved on.

The rooms are average...previous reviewers on Tripadvisor have raved about the bed and its comfort, etc...for us it was nothing special. Surprisingly the so called king bed was actually more or less a ,large queen bed compared to other hotels we have stayed in and the adjoining queen double (which is marketed on their website and booking as two queen beds, and there is a surcharge for this when compared to a typical twin room ie two singles) room just had the normal two single beds. When I asked reception if there was perhaps a mistake on this, I was given the usual answer that this is how it is. Again if you can empathise with a long haul traveler, we just accepted and again moved on.

The detailing in the room is again quite ordinary. I would have imagined a bigger room but I was told that typical LA hotel rooms are as what was offered by Sofitel. There was no kettle or tea/coffee sachets, etc in the room and after asking for the same we received this after a couple of hours. At least we received this...at no extra cost. Bathrooms etc are fine though I believe need some updating as it does all look quite dated.

During our stay we opted for inhouse breakfast and this is something I believe the hotel needs to work on. When ordering we repeatedly had to mention what we wanted in our bread baskets and each time they got it wrong ie less than what they were supposed to give. One of the guys who delivered to our room even tried to pass two pieces of ordinary white toast as a 'bread basket' delivery which according to their menu was to include a selection of muffins, toast, pastries, croissants, etc. It took a slight aggressive exchange and firmness which had the situation corrected but again on a holiday this should not be necessary. A hotel of this stature must not look to cut corners or give the guest a feeling of being shortchanged as that leaves a very bad taste of overall evaluation of the place. Anyway, again we moved on.

The valet service is excellent and the guys who run that section are prompt and efficient. Ofcourse I cannot leave the review of this section without saying that it is very expensive...but there is no other way to do this in LA. I even enquired whether I could park at the Beverly Centre across the street to save on the hotel's high charge but that option of leaving the car overnight at the centre is not there. The centre is a nice mall with the usual offerings and trappings of which the Macy's in my opinion is great for shopping. The food court at the mall is quite basic and average though.

All in all an average stay at the Sofitel which given what we paid per night I was hoping for better. The location could be better compared to some of the other properties in Beverly Hills, as this property is somewhat on the outskirt. Would I go back to the Sofitel...unlikely given the many other options to try out in LA and Beverly Hills.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank NIA1011
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your honnest review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
I am happy that you found the valet parking staff great, but I am really sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on the other aspects.
I apologize if you were not able to checkin into your room at your arrival. We do our best, but depending on the occupancy, we sometimes have rooms not ready at checkin.
Regarding your breakfast, thank you for your comment, and as a french brand, for sure the bread basket selection is really important for us. Please be assured I will talk to my team.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future,
Eric Lemaire,

West Hollywood
The LondonWeho at BeverlyHills
The LondonWeho at BeverlyHills
#2 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!