“The flagship of disappointment”

Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Ranked #23 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had the unfortunate disappointment of staying at this Accor property. The property itself was well situated, great colour schemes and mood lighting. The housekeeping staff were very professional and did a great job. The front desk was also very friendly and helpful. However, when we first pulled up to the hotel, we had to locate the valet. It was Friday at 11PM! Seriously? After we unloaded the luggage and headed into the hotel someone offered to help. Well from outside to in, all you could here was Latin music very loud. The lounge on the main lobby level didn't seem to have any hotel guests. It was an interesting scene, but not one I was looking for when all I wanted was a place to have a cocktail and maybe enjoy some food.

The lifts and hallways were well designed and maintained, however the rooms were a completely different story. The shower height was so low and well below any standard building code from my experience. I had to literally crouch to wash my hair. The shower itself was located in the tub which has this awkward area in the back where the water spills over the side onto the floor. The beds were too low and uneven. But hey, the three phones in the room make up for all that. (Sarcasm:).

It was my Birthday weekend celebration so my friends got me a Spa Massage. Checked-in and showed the Accor card and was told I would receive a 15% discount after my treatment. I enjoyed my service and as checking out, realized my friends had already paid. The Spa staff told me that the discount had not be applied and that she would have to get her manager to contact me on Monday to handle this. No call Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. So I called back and left a message for a manager who had a very thick French accent. She didn't call back until Monday, June 30th, four days later. Apparently she was returning my message from earlier in the day! She denied that such a program even existed for Accor Platinum members to receive a discount. The fact is that there is a discount and for someone like me who has stayed months at Novotels knows there are programs to attract hotel guests to use these service..I don't like the inaccuracies.

In any event, I personally have no intention of staying at this property. I am also certain that my friends will not be renewing their Accor memberships this year! When service is your business, make me believe it is.

Room Tip: The mall side is very noisy with the club below. Though secondary glass windows have been installed...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sarj S

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was our second time at the Sofitel Los Angeles. The room was comfortable and the sheets, towels, and bed were amazing. Front desk and valet staff were friendly and helpful. Housekeeping, however, leaves a lot to be desired. We stayed for four nights. The room was marginally cleaned. Dirty coffee cups were left, nothing was replenished, and there was no turn down surface. We used the gym all four days. Two/five treadmills were broken, there were no towels, except used dirty ones lying in a basket. On two of the four days there was no water. There was no staff present on any of the days. For such a high end hotel they need to pay a little more attention to the details. Most of the problems seem to be based on their housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
1  Thank Cecilie S
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Sofitel on Jun 19th for one night. My stay was great. The room was nice and clean except for a soda bottle that was left by the curtain. I guess housekeeping didn’t feel the need to clean behind the curtains. Virginie, the young lady at the front desk was very professional and was very accommodating when our room wasn't ready. I would definitely stay here again. This hotel was convenient to everything.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank miami_f2003
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We were really pleased with our choice of this hotel. The room was a decent size, clean & comfortable & we had a view of the Hollywood sign in the distance! It was also very quiet which was nice. The hotel staff were lovely & could not have been more friendly & helpful (contrary to many other Sofitel experiences in the US where the service has been distinctly more European-and not in a good way!).

The hotel is in a good area, the Beverly Center mall is right across the street and there is a big CVS nearby too. It is about 10 minutes in a cab to the main sights of Beverly Hills (Rodeo Drive etc) but we were happy with that as the rate we got was so much better than the hotels that were closer. So we didn't mind spending a bit of money on cabs.

The restaurant deserves a special mention, it was really very good, in terms of the menu choices, the food quality & the service.

My only (minor) gripe is that the AC in the room didn't seem that powerful (by US standards). We had to have it on the lowest setting to be comfortable and even then if was really only just right. We didn't complain about this as it we managed with it but I was a bit surprised.

It was great value for money and we'd definitely stay here again if we returned to LA in future.

Stayed: June 2014
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Bonjour Lucy_Jones,
I am glad that you were very happy with your hotel choice.
And it is really nice to read you had a great experience in our restaurant. I will thank our french chef!
We hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here with our daughter. We could not have been happier. Fantastic, friendly service. Amazing buffet breakfast with high quality ingredients. Location was excellent. Perfect stay!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Bonjour A T,
Thank you so much for these nice words!
You had a fantastic stay with us, and it is fantastic to know you really enjoyed our hotel, our breakfast buffet and our staff service!
Warm regards,

An Accor traveller
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Where to begin!?

I've been to many high end hotels in London/Paris/New York and never experienced one as pretentious as this. The prices are mid to high end but service and facilities are most definitely not in that league.

Upon arrival we pulled into the valet area (parking is valet only). Wow, look at that flat black Lambo! Wow this place must be amazing we thought. Valet is a fixed price of $37 per day and the staff will still hover around expecting a cash tip on top of this. As we came and went a number of times from the hotel during our stay we noticed that the same Lambo was parked out front repeatedly - not sure what the owner thought of it being left there. We were beginning to think the hotel had actually just hired it to park it there. Likewise it seemed that any other prestige/supercar they had been entrusted with at that time was also left out front to make the hotel look good.

Bell and check-in service were ok although check-in seemed to expect me to be grateful for being allocated the class of room I had paid for?

First impression of the room was good, spacious, seemingly luxurious and an ok view of the hills as well. After a few minutes though the facade began to slip! Whilst the linen was clean and bathroom seemed clean it was soon obvious that many of the other surfaces in the hotel had not been cleaned in a while. We left a "Hi!" in the dust in a few places to see if they would be cleaned during out stay - they were not. Maybe the next guests will appreciate our welcome message! We also found a used empty water bottle behind the curtains. Upon closer inspection of the view from the window we noticed just how close some of the rougher areas of Beverly Hills are - and how many of them there are. Also right next door is some other building being constructed - work on this seems to start very early so expect noise from this from 7am some days.

Speaking of noise, you will hear sirens all through the night, maybe as often as once every 30 minutes.

Not only were the maids not particularly thorough, they also appeared at very curious times. Most of Beverly Hills or even the wider LA area seems to take until 10am to wake up fully - so I'm not sure why they would think people would be out of their rooms and ready for them to be cleaned by 8:45am? Likewise turndown service was often around the time we would be getting ready to go out.

Our next task was to make use of the internet - wifi is very important to us as international visitors due to roaming data costs. The "complimentary" wifi should maybe be considered more as a basic bare minimum service. It's unreliable (signal strength showed as poor) and very slow. This seems intentional as they are happy to charge extra (usual high end hotel extortionate prices) if you want a better wifi service.

Next we went to explore the hotel a little more. The pool looks ok in some photos, but up close its really not very attractive at all. Although there is a seating area, there is no bar. Apparently you can call down and someone may bring you a drink up from the one and only bar downstairs, however as the area isn't particularly attractive and is overwhelmed by the sound of traffic on the Beverly Blvd we decided to not bother using the pool area at all.

Back to the room - I thought on the website it mentioned a coffee machine in the room, but we had none on day 1 or 2. Curiously on day 3 it appeared in the wardrobe. We were not bothered by this due to our preference of Coffee Bean/Starbucks anyway and the abundance of these in the Beverly Hills area. On the subject of random appearances, day 4 we gained extra complimentary bathroom products which we had not had previously like mouthwash.

Also in the room the inclusion of the Bose sound system did initially seem like a great selling point when I booked. Unfortunately it was fairly useless as the dock only had the old iPhone 4 or older connector (no lightning connector or USB).

On the subject of room connectables - our room only had mains sockets on one side of the bed. Highly inconvenient when there are two of you staying in the room and both want to use and charge their phones/tablets before bed.

The fridge is completely full as a minibar and as I had read previous reviews on here saying the hotel very much has a policy of you touch it you pay for it on the mini bar, that basically meant that the room had no fridge space for your own food/drinks.

Finally, speaking of the bar. Forget it. Every night they have an event of some kind in there. The first night we tried to access we were told we could use the bar but it was busy. We were welcome to sit in the restaurant instead. The restaurant was completely empty and no atmosphere, so we tried our chance in the bar. We were the only white people in the bar and apparently were not welcome to get close to the bar to buy a drink. Obviously in that situation we did not want to make anything of it so we gave up and called it a night. The next night we attempted to access the bar we were welcome, and the drinks were very nice. However, my wife soon became annoyed at every single female in the bar regularly up and downing her so again we left. Third night, private party - not allowed in the bar at all. Apparently the same applied the following night. This place desperately needs another bar - maybe on another floor if they value their room guests at all.

External to the hotel you should also be aware of the area. Just because its Beverly Hills does not mean its classy and most definitely not safe. Do not expect to be able to walk anywhere without seeing an undesirable of some kind or homeless person on each street corner. Maybe you'll get to see the guy threatening his dog with a taser (the dog was petrified so he had clearly used it before) - or one of the drunk sounding homeless guys screaming at you for somehow ruining his life. All very delightful aspects of the area.

Most of the above were not things management could fix so we did not bother to complain. However we came to the conclusion we're just not Beverly Hills type people. We did mention that it just wasn't our thing and were offered a free upgrade and free drinks on our next visit. We won't be taking them up on this offer.

Oh and the beds aren't comfy either - the strange duvet under sheet layer just gets way too hot.

Overall, if you're "someone" and going to a party here then I'm sure you're love it. If you're looking for somewhere to stay though - probably be a good idea to look elsewhere.

4  Thank anthony2k12

Bonjour anthony2k12,
I am sorry that our hotel didn't meet your expectations and that you didn't really enjoy Beverly Hills.
Los Angeles is a noisy city, with lots of siren due to the fact that the Cedars Sinai Medical Center is just accross the street. Thank you for your comment about the Bose system, I will speak with my team about this.
Regarding the mini bar, we have sensor but you can off course use it as a fridge and remove the items which won't be charged by the front desk.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future,
Warm regards,

The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 355 in Los Angeles
Westside
InterContinental Los Angeles Century City

Been to Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!