“Best Views Best Location”

Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Ranked #26 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Texas
“Best Views Best Location”
Reviewed 1 October 2009

What a great place, I have never felt so pampered in my life! The resturant had the best breakfast I have ever had in my life... I mean really... both my children and husband thought so also! I am very impressed with the Sofitel brand and would love to visit some of the their other hotels. The room had had the best views, the bathroom was large and it had all the little ammenities I look for in a hotel room.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
NY
Reviewed 1 October 2009

My son and I stayed here while doing college visits and found it the perfect location in L.A.

We had a superior double double room on the 5th floor with a Beverly Center view. We found it to be perfectly quiet. The rooms were extremely clean and roomy enough for our needs. The beds were so comfortable, but I do wish there was a separate sheet under the duvet. The bathroom was sparkling, with a fantastic shower and great amenities.

I loved that they had 24 hour room service, so that I was able to get a pot of coffee when I woke up at 4 in the moring.

We were very kindly treated by everyone from reception to concierge to the doormen.

The hotel's location was perfect for us as we didn't have a car during our stay. We simply walked out the door, and the wonderful doormen would whistle for a cab from across the street. They were always readily available and we were able to get everywhere by cab.

We did find a great spot for breakfast and lunch within walking distance of the hotel-- Joan's on Third.

I am very glad that we chose this hotel and would recommend it highly!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank gpakl5
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2009

This Sofitel is what you'd expect from this chain, it is clean, modern, efficient and the service is good, though the formality of the staff can be a little off-putting at times. Location is great for shopping, it is opposite the Beverley Center, and the Grove and Beverly Hills shops are not too far to get to.
First timers to LA might like to know the Silverline bus tours pick up there as well.
The views on the north side of the hotel on the upper floors are great. We were originally put on a lower floor on the other side, having been told that a non-smoking king bed was not available only two doubles. It didn't take long to realise that the layout of that room with the two beds one against a wall and the other too close to the large windows was not ideal. After a short and polite complaint they offered us an upgraded room on a higher floor and on the north side, which id a great mark of their service, and the roon was excellent.

Only slight disappointment was the bar, it was overly large and dark, the range of beer in particular was poor, and the service was relatively lacking.

Petoskey, Michigan
Reviewed 20 September 2009

We stayed here since it's just a few block from our daughter's new apartment in the Beverly/Fairfax area and we wanted to stay at a really nice place after five days of driving cross country.

Plus side: #1. Location is great, right across from the Beverly Center and convenient to everything. #2. The room, though smallish, was beautiful, with plush bedding and swanky furnishings. The shower is large and the view was too cool - the Hollywood sign gleaming in the distance. The air conditioning is quiet and efficient, and the balcony doors really open! #3. The bar, though pricey, is worth it just to hang out on the over stuffed sofas and chairs. #4. Outstanding fitness center! Excellent equipment.

Negative side: #1. Turn down service offered too early - on two nights the housekeeping staff showed up for turn down around 5PM when we were still getting ready to go out. On BOTH occasions, we said, "Can you please come back later?" They never did, so we didn't get fresh towels either night.
#2. Previously worn bath robe? - after a shower my husband went to the closet and put on a large, fluffy robe and reached into the pocket where he found someone's swim goggles. We could only conclude that this robe had been used by a previous occupant. We called to report the problem and a staff member came to our room and presented us with two bars of soap and some shampoo and conditioner! Huh?? We called again and they came back to the room with two bath robes and asked us to produce the swim goggles as evidence. I hope some poor housekeeper didn't get flogged with them....
#3. Valet took our car out and left it sitting in the driveway - our daughter picked us up in her own car and as we were leaving I noticed our car sitting next to the Valet stand with all the windows rolled down. My husband asked them why our car was there and they said we had called for it. Obviously we had not. We asked them to put it back. To their credit, they didn't charge us for one night's parking.

These were really minor issues and I would definitely say the pluses outweighed the negatives. It's a beautiful property.

Amherst, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We decided to splurge and stay at the Sofitel this time in LA when we came for a wedding. We usually stay in budget (Holiday Inn Express or Best Western) level hotels, because we're not in the room much, but since it was a special occasion and we were staying for 5 nights, we spent the extra money and treated ourselves. The door, front desk, conceirge and valet service from the time we pulled up in a cab to the time we left in our rental car was great and very friendly. I have several complaints that might seem a little nit-picky, but they did effect our experience. First off, we reserved their "superior" room which I guess is the smallest room they have and the smallness was uncomfortable. The room was nicely decorated and the bathroom was cool and the bed super comfy, but because the bed is a platform bed and because the room is small and they put a chair at the end of the bed, I left there with a huge bump and bruise on my left shin and one on my right calf from banging into the corner of the bed. Nice look with a cocktail dress for a wedding.... I found it very annoying - and painful. Two weeks later I still have the bruises. The shower is a rain shower, which is incredibly relaxing and I loved it, but again it's the little things that make the difference. It was nearly impossible to shave one's legs in the shower because it's a stall shower and there is no foot rest, which might seem like a petty thing, but any woman over 35 knows what I mean. Finally, they have the duvet thing going on. I don't understand the obsession with duvets these days, because you have a choice of being hot or cold with nothing in between. So, in the Sofitel on the bed they have a bottom sheet and a duvet. No sheet in between your body and the duvet. I hope they clean them everytime someone checks out. So, because I'm always hot and my husband is always cold, we did not sleep well that first night. The second day we called housekeeping, but you can't talk to housekeeping, only the front desk and asked for a top sheet in addition to the bottom sheet and duvet. We got a scratchy blanket. It was too late to do anything that night, so another uncomfortable night. Third day we asked for a top sheet, no blanket and received another blanket. We called again and asked for a top sheet and have the 3 blankets taken away. The housekeeper showed up with 2 more blankets. At least this time we could explain what we wanted and the poor woman had to strip the bed and add the top sheet. After that we were comfortable and slept well.

On the positive side, we requested by email and were given a room with a view of the hills and the hotel was really very quiet.

For service (except for passing messages along to housekeeping), location and amenities, I give this hotel two thumbs up. For the size of a regular room, thumbs down.

2 Thank ejboldt
Honolulu
Reviewed 9 September 2009

The most important part of this hotel -- the bed and the bathroom -- were outstanding. The service was excellent if you enjoy overstaffed slavish fawning. Personally, I found it annoying and unprofessional, but I'm not an LA native, so perhaps I wasn't acclimated. Room service food was good and valets were quick, and everything was overpriced. The gym was only ok. They ran out of towels and water frequently.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights last November, and I must say the hotel is very modern and beautiful. While I generally like modern hotels, this one just seemed a little cold to me. Maybe it was the black everywhere (furniture, employee clothing) or the club line out of the door, but something about it annoyed me, though I can't put my finger on it. For someone who is single and looking for a fun night out on the town, the Sofitel is great, with a hot club on the bottom floor. It is right across from the Beverly Center for great shopping, and is just a short cab ride from all the main LA attractions, as well as Beverly Hills. The rooms were modern with very comfortable beds, amazing showers, and a great view of the Hollywood sign. Very nice hotel , but defnitely more for business or singles. Internet was not free, although from my room I was able to pick up a wireless signal from outside, so I never had to pay for internet. They also have a nice pool, although it was a little too cool for swimming in November. All around a nice hotel in a great location. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at yoshapman@hotmail.com

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Loews Hollywood Hotel
Loews Hollywood Hotel
#17 of 351 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,459 reviews

Been to Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!