“A great gem in Hollywood”
Review of Dunes Inn - Sunset

Dunes Inn - Sunset
Ranked #105 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Francisco, California, Usa
“A great gem in Hollywood”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Downtown L.A. has gotten unbelievably expensive over the last few years even before "extras" like parking and Wi-Fi are added on, so, I was very glad to find the Dunes on my most recent trip there. The rooms are clean and comfortable and roughly comparable to a Motel 6 and the free parking and Wi-Fi were also much appreciated! (Both can easily set you back an additional $25+ each at other L.A. properties). Thanks to upgrades to the L.A. Metro, a few block walk and a short metro ride will get you to the heart of Hollywood Boulevard (which I recommend, rather than driving). If you need to get downtown or to the Valley, the hotel's proximity to the 101 is also a big plus. Finally, the on-site restaurant is a great place for breakfast and the prices are so cheap you'll feel like you've time-warped to the 1990s. :)

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, although the entire property is pretty quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you so much for a great review of our property. We really appreciate your kind remarks and hope that, after reading it, people will be encouraged to book with us.

Thank you again and we look forward to you staying with us on your next visit to LA.

Peter R.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at Dunes Inn - Sunset on our honeymoon. The staff were very helpful and the room was good value for what we paid. It was a short walk from the Metro underground station which we found very convenient. The walk to get there however was a bit dodgy late at night. It was great to have 7/11 and a few cheap eats next door as well. The rooms were neat, tidy and comfortable. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Viverama
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you so much for your excellent review of our establishment. We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff and the cleanliness of our rooms and I was pleased that you mentioned these items specifically.

I trust you enjoyed your honeymoon in Hollywood and we look forward to seeing you again in the future,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

For a large and clean room in a fairly convenient location in maybe a not so desirable area, this place is very good value. Great parking availability and a metro station a couple of blocks away for access to the Staples Centre/ down town area, but most things in the main Hollywood area are a half hour walk away or less.
Got a good nights sleep for all 4 nights I was there which surprised me as it is located right on Sunset Blvd. The older gentleman at the front counter was not overly friendly but I only went into the office at arrival and departure, so this wasn't really a big deal.
Overall, it was a clean and comfortable stay for someone on somewhat of a tight budget in a good location to get to attractions especially if you have a car, and would stay there again if there are no other stand-outs that are new the next time I visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your kind review of our establishment. We not only pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms, but also on the friendliness of the staff. I was, therefore, a little surprised to learn that you thought a member of the front office staff was not as friendly as you would have liked. I can only apologize to you and assure you that whatever occurred to make you unhappy was an isolated incident and that it didm't spoil your stay.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on Mar 20th for two nights and was extremely happy with the nice clean rooms and friendly staff. They also have a great restaurant located at the hotel called Dreams, in which the food is very good as well as the service. If you are going to stay in Hollywood for a vacation for business or visit family like I did this is a great place to stay. Very centrally located in Hollywood. The only thing that's somewhat bothered me was there was homeless people not on the property but next door and on the street but anywhere in Hollywood you're going to find that. Again, overall I was happy with my stay and will stay again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jean1005
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for your very good review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves that we have a very friendly staff that give excellent service both at the front desk and in the restaurant

I note your comments about the homeless in the area. As you said, they are not on the premises but they do walk past the entrance on Sunset Blvd. Fortunately we don't have much of a problem with them bothering our guests.

Thank you, again for your kind review and we look forward to your return.

Peter R,
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Dunes Inn-Sunset (March 15, 2014) and upon arrival it wasn't bad. The guy in the lobby was friendly and the rooms were clean. The rooms were on the small side, but they were a good size for the price. I booked this room due to reviews I saw on Trip Advisor and it looked like a good value. After arriving back at our room on Sunday night, there were police and firemen in the room right below our room which was room 218. I spoke with the nice man in the lobby to find out what was going on only to find out the man below us died from a heroin overdose in room 118. We quickly packed our bags as it was uncomfortable staying in a room directly above where a man had just died from a drug addiction. Upon checking out, the man in the lobby was nice and said that this doesn't usually happen and that we should contact Noah or Queenie to obtain a refund due to checking out early and the events that took place. Judging by the reviews this would be no problem.

After calling to speak with Noah or Queenie, I cannot say enough about how poorly they treat their customers. They showed no sympathy about what happened and did not process a refund as "it's hotel policy". I completely understand that there is a policy in place, but due to the events of a man dying right below us they could have processed a refund. Any person who knows how to run a business knows that word of mouth is powerful and that a refund should be made for the horrible experience. I know I didn't want to see the coroner show up and haul a body out in a body bag and neither did my travel companions. The man on the phone proceeded to tell me that "we don't want customers like you anyway" and hung up. Needless to say, it was quite the experience dealing with them and I would highly suggest finding a different place to stay.

Room Tip: Go a half a mile to the west a choose a different hotel in a better area
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brandon W
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
First of all, may I say that I was pleased that you thought our front office staff was friendly and our rooms clean and good value for the price you paid.

The unfortunate incident which occurred on the Sunday evening when somebody died in the room below yours was, understandably, disturbing to you and your party and the ensuing commotion when the police, ambulance and coroner arrived did not, I am sure, help matters.

Now, let me address the matter of a refund. Your reservation was from Saturday, 15th March for 3 nights, departing on Tuesday. It was a non-refundable reservation which means that, in exchange for a lower rate, should you cut short your stay for any reason whatsoever, you would not get your money back. Because of what happened, however, we decided not to charge you for the 3rd night but, as you didn't leave the hotel until 11pm on the Sunday (and the hotel was sold out) we could not refund the second night as well.

We have been in business since 1973 and this was the FIRST time anyone has passed away in one of our rooms from ANY cause. I am sure you will agree that we have absolutely no control over what a guest does in the privacy of his room.

I understand that you were upset following a conversation with hotel management and you vowed to "ruin the hotel" by posting a bad review on the various review web sites and I see that you have done just that. I do think that your comments on line were grossly inaccurate, unfair, totally exaggerated and, I must say, rather vindictive

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in March with a child. At check in the gentleman was VERY helpful and friendly, offering us a quiet corner room on the second floor to accommodate travelling with a child. He provided maps, tour leaflets and info on Hollywood without me having to ask.
The room was clean. No problems with bedding or sheets. The room was well lit with pot-lights. The room had a good sized fridge. We also had a wardrobe area with hangars, and plenty of space for our 3 rollerboards bags. The bathroom looked brand new, maybe recently renovated? It was very nice, and the towels were also clean (and fluffier than expected).
During my stay, I had to use the computer in the check in area to print some paperwork and again the staff were helpful and accommodating.
My only complaint about this hotel is the Wi-Fi. We had a terrible time trying to maintain a connection, which was disappointing.
It is great value for money though. Clean (most importantly), accommodating and a great location for exploring Hollywood and the surrounding area by car.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank randomhotelinspector
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
I was pleased you had an enjoyable experience staying with us. We pride ourselves that ALL our front desk staff are very helpful to our guests.

You were right in your observation about the bathroom - all our rooms were completely renovated just over a year ago.

I am sorry you had a disappointing experience with the wi-fi. It does tend to be a little slow when there are a lot of people using it at once but we are hoping to upgrade the service in the not too distant future which should improve the situation.

Front Office Manager
Winnipeg
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Dunes Inn Sunset for 4 nights (March 4-7, 2014). Room 225. The location was so convenient (just a 20 min walk to the Chinese Theater and Hollywood Walk of Fame Area). The room was clean, the bed was really comfortable and the gentleman at the front desk the night we arrived was very helpful and provided us with an area map and some other brochures. It was right beside a 7-11 where we picked up our coffee every morning. The room didn't have an iron/ironing board so we had to settle for hanging our clothes up in the bathroom and letting the steam do its magic, which actually worked out okay. But I'm sure if we called down to the front desk, they could have provided us with an iron/ironing board.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for your very kind review of our establishment in Hollywood. We appreciate the fact that you were pleased with our service and look forward to seeing you here in the future.