“Excellent location in the heart of Hollywoood”
Review of Dunes Inn - Sunset

Dunes Inn - Sunset
Ranked #98 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 July 2014

If you want to live in the heart of Hollywood and very close to Universal Studios, Dunes Inn, Sunset is a good and cheap alternative. The service in the lobby was excellent from arrival to departure. The beds were comfortable, but the rooms are very small - and the air condition was noisy. Then again - who comes to LA to do spend time in a motel room? At Dunes Inn you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Thomas L
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your review of our Establishment. Our front office staff do have a well deserved reputation for being friendly and helpful and it was very kind of you to confirm that.

I apologize for the size of our rooms - there is not much we can do about that - but, as you say, not many people visit Hollywood to spend time in the room.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I didn't ever get to Dunes Inn - Sunset. Our booking had to be cancelled when our itinerary changed. I let them know we couldn't come and was assured that any money taken from my credit card would be refunded. Imagine how i felt when we came home from the foreshortened holiday to find we had been charged for the room we didn't stay in. I sorted back through my emails and found the one that said a refund would be granted. I sent an email to ask what had happened. No response. A week later I emailed again and sent a hard copy to the manager. Noah came to the rescue and sorted the problem out. The refund is now in my credit card account and when we finally get to Los Angeles we'll definitely stay at Dunes Inn- Sunset.

Room Tip: When I asked for a room reachable by lift and suitable for a person with a disability, there was no...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry you were unable to stay with us because of your change of plans. I also regret the ensuing mix up that resulted in you being charged for the room. I am happy that things were eventually sorted out and that you received a full refund.

We look forward to seeing you when you visit Hollywood in the future.

Peter R,

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic for seeing the Hollywood sites, and upon arriving to this hotel were greeted with a level of customer service that we hadn't received since landing in LA. It wasn't just one of the staff members, all 3 that worked on the front desk were fantastic. WiFi worked great, rooms were clean and overall a great experience. Definitely recommend.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your excellent review of our Establishment. The front office staff were very pleased when I showed them your kind words. We do pride ourselves on our helpful and friendly staff, both at the front desk and in the restaurant,

Thank you again.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for 4 nights nearing the end of out month travelling across America, and I honestly cannot fault this motel. Fantastic value for money, the room was clean, the staff was helpful and no task was too much. They helped up arrange our shuttle to the airports and as it was out first time in LA and the guy at the front desk recommended us with the best places to go and how to get around, they really made our stay the best it could be.
Seven eleven is right next door and Starbucks is just down the road.
It's in a great location although I didn't feel totally safe walking around in the night, it wasn't just the area of the hotel I felt that it was everywhere in LA - a lot of homeless people about. I would still 100% stay again on my next visit.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank DrecklyMaid
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you so much for your excellent review of our establishment. We pride ourselves with our friendly and helpful staff and clean rooms and I appreciate you pointing those features out.

There are a lot homeless in LA but, generally, they are not a problem and we don't have any complaints from our guests about harassment.

I am pleased you would stay here again, if you visit LA in the future and we look forward to seeing you if you do.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights at hte Dunes on Sunset this past weekend. The room with tax was $200 per nite. Guess that is what you would pay for an inexpensive hotel in Hollywood. The room was very old looking--no modern upgrades. There was a flat screen TV, 2 double beds, a decent bathroom and a small frig. There was no pool, clock radio and the air conditioner was troublesome. If you had the air on it was too cold. Without the air it was too hot. It was a wall unit not central air.

If you are not looking to stay at a place that is upgraded and a little nicer, this place is okay if you are using it as a home base to sleep and shower.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sending a review of our establishment and I'm sorry you were a little disappointed in the room. We have recently completer some remodeling but it is still a work in progress. We will, in the not too distant future, replace the A/c units and flat screen TVs will be put in all the rooms.

Again, I am sorry you weren't entirely happy with your stay at the Dunes but, fortunately, we get very few negative comments.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I could not have done better than this, staying at Dunes was a highlight in my trip to USA. The staff have impeccable manners and were the most helpful I've ever come across anywhere without being too obsequious. No task was too much or too hard for them. It was like staying with friends. I was impressed with the level of cleanliness and the services offered for my stay. I have paid more and gotten less so often now that Dunes Inn was a complete surprise. Definitely a diamond in the rough. I recommend them highly to all my friends and travel agent but most of all I thank the staff for the fond memories I have of LA.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank GuadagnuoloLina
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you so much for your excellent review. I can honestly say that is one of the best reviews I have seen in a long time. I showed it to our staff who greatly appreciated your kind words

Thank you again, and I hope you will stay with us on your next trip to LA.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

First understand that this is a motel for around $115/night in Hollywood. With that understanding, one does not expect the Four Seasons. What you do get here is a decent sized, very clean room, with a refrigerator, good air conditioning, and extremely helpful staff. The wi-fi is also free but can sometimes can be a bit slow. The televisions are not flat screen, but that did not bother me. The person at the desk said that replacing them is in their plans. The parking lot is right at your door and is fairly large. We never had trouble finding a space. The hotel is very convenient to Hollywood Blvd, Thai town, and Melrose Ave. it is also a short walk to the Metro. Because.both Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd are very long streets you won't be able to walk to everything in the area. We attended a show at the Pantages Theater, which was walkable. By the way if you can get a chance, take a look inside at the Pantages, it is a very cool old building.
The people at the front desk were exceptionally helpful. They did say that hey are working on doing some updates.The restaurant "Dreams" was good with quick service, but there were also several restaurants nearby. There is a Seven Eleven just about next door.
The area seemed fairly safe. There were a lot of people around. It looked like a lot of Los Angeles. The views are non-existent. There is a Home Depot across the street, but if you are in LA for a visit you probably aren't hanging out at the hotel anyway.
As far as noise goes, it was not particularly noisy, I could not hear the other rooms. There may be some street noise as Sunset Blvd is very busy, but it did not bother me.
We also, took the Dearly Departed Tour of Hollywood, which I would recommend, but not for young children. We walked from the motel to their business, which was a little over a mile.
I would not hesitate to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CindyBaltimore
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

What a great review of our establishment. Thank you so much. Our staff are always helpful and I thank you for mentioning it.

Our improvements are a work in progress and, yes, we will be installing flat screen tv's in the not too distant future.

Thank you again, for your kind words and we hope to see you on your next visit to Hollywood.