“Nice clean hotel, close enough to sights”
Review of Hollywood Hotel

Hollywood Hotel
Ranked #65 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 November 2005

We arrived at LAX and got the free shuttle bus to the green metro line - what an experience! - scary at first as two 20-something english ladies with huge suitcases stuck out like a sore thumb attracting a lot of attention but we found the people were really nice!

We found the Ramada easily - 2 minutes walk up from the Santa Monica metro stop (and about 4 minutes down from the perhaps less scary looking Sunset Boulevard stop) and first impressions thought it was a bad area, we were allocated a room on the 2nd floor overlooking a little courtyard. The room was clean, very comfortable bed with fridge and microwave and good shower. 3 star is about right for this hotel, although we've stayed in many 4 stars in england that are about of this standard and the 4 star in san diego we stayed in was worse than this. The hotel breakfast was good, with plenty of choice. The receptionists well helpful and friendly also.

We ventured out at night on the metro to Hollywood Boulevard to see the sights, only 3 or 4 stops away and it was fine, a few homeless people about but I'd say the area around the hotel is more of a poor area than a rough one, and people seemed to keep themselves to themselves.

The metro doesn't stretch to West Hollywood/Beverley Hills or Santa Monica and the coast so for the next 4 nights caught the number 4 bus or the 304 bus ($2.25 all day pass for all of LA metro AND bus) which runs along Santa Monica boulevard and to West Hollywood where we found a great restaurant called the Spanish Kitchen and many great gay bars.

The bus, like the metro, seemed scary at first but it was fine. The locals do tend to look you up and down a bit but I only think its because they don't get a lot of nice looking well dressed ladies on the bus after dark!

We also caught the bus to Santa Monica although with the awful traffic jams it did take over an hour.

You don't NEED a car in LA, we managed quite well with the bus and train, managing to get to Universal Studios in 10 minutes by metro, Hollywood Boulevard in less than 10 minutes and West Hollywood bars and restaurants in 25-30 minutes.

We even caught the Amtrak train to San Diego from Union Station for $25 each and it took about 2 and a half hours.

Overall an excellent stay in LA and I would recommend the hotel for people on a budget or travelling around the States.

We loved LA and Hollywood, we would definitely go again though would probably stay at the Ramada West Hollywood as this was more central for what we wanted to do.

• Stayed: October 2005
15  Thank kblt1

Reviewed 15 November 2005

This was the second part of our LA Vacaction and having stayed here in the past both on business and pleasure, I knew the area and hotel well.

I did find the staff to be a little on the straightforward side. NOT overly friendly but professional.

Our room was immaculately clean but even with the DND sign on the door, the maid came in and cleaned anyhow.

For a hotel chain that is supposed to offer Complimentary wireless internet and oops bag (forgotton bathroom amenities), they lacked. I did get my high speed internet but it came with a price tag and No oops bag (Doesn't that dock QA points).

Although the neighborhood isn't the best, we didn't feel unsafe and even made use of the Metro (Subway) to spend the day at Universal Studios (beats the parking cost)and walked home in the late night after an evening at Universal City Walk.

Their complimentary continental breakfast was probably the best I have had in my travels. Good Job!

We will return in the future but I have found hotels closer to where I need to be too.

6  Thank ScottCowden
Rosharon, TExas
Reviewed 11 November 2005

I just wanted to take this opportunity to express the wonderful service I received on my recent visit to California. My stay at the Ramada Hollywood was somewhere between excellent and outstanding. It was just perfect. My husband and I were observing our 10th anniversary and we wanted to come to Hollywood. We were greeted with warmth, hospitality, and absolute courteous during our entire stay. In fact, we had problems with our initial room but were upgraded to even greater accommodations. We appreciate it and thank the staff. Grisel Hernandez at the front desk was excellent. She was knowledgeable and kind and had a wide smile to put anyone at ease. Ramada Hollywood management should be proud to have such wonderful representation. She is the best. In fact, all the staff was courteous and helpful. Grisel was just the lady we dealt with specifically. We liked her. It's nice to know that you can travel in this country and be met with honest and hard working people whose customer service is suberb. Thank you Ramada Hollywood for the opportunity of sharing in your hospitality and we will be returning again. We are telling our friends.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed 19 September 2005

My boyfriend and I used Hotwire to book this hotel and after reading the reviews on tripadvisor we were worried. We were pleasantly surprised! This hotel is not that bad. For those of you who want upper three star or four star accomodations then this hotel is not for you. You get what you pay for! However, if you are looking for a clean hotel that is accessible to many of the Hollywood/Los Angeles sites and doesn't cost a fortune then this may be a good choice. It is not fancy, but as I mentioned it is clean and parking is safe (and cheap ($9/day, for Los Angeles!)). The noisy nightclub mentioned in the other posts was not an issue for us even though we stayed on the first level. The breakfast ----, but once again you get what you pay for! (breakfast is free). It has juice, pastries, and a variety of "hot" foods to get your morning started. We stayed at this hotel for four nights for under $400 allowing us to spend money as we explored the surrounding area. Once again this is not a luxury hotel, but a hotel that is affordable, clean, and accessible to many Hollywood/Los Angeles sites (but, you should have a car!)

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 September 2005

Couldn't take it anymore...you have a right to know. The loud music beyond midnight (12:30 am Thursday was the last time I had awakened from the noise) from the club downstairs was the last straw. So here's my laundry list of why this hotel gets a FAT "F"!:

Loud music beyond midnight (why put me on the 1st floor directly above a club - com'n, it's not that hard)
Dirty carpet
Stinky rooms (switched rooms and chose the lesser of 2 evils)
Broke phone (the only preprogrammed button that worked was the emergency button)
Dirty walls (various stains and dirt marks)
Dirty mattress (just plain nasty)
Flies (one really aggressive one too)
Inoperable light (2 working lights - the bathroom and the nightstand light)
Broken remote ( had to stand next to the tv to change channels with the remote)
Poorly secured back door (being on 1st floor, I did not feel safe)
Cold rooms with controlled heating and air conditions
Rude front desk - not friendly, sarcastic (this applies to the one guy on Monday night)
Nasty breakfast – croissant stale and waffles were burnt covered in powered sugar (this is what my daughter said, I knew better not to even look at what they called breakfast)
No access to sauna
Noisy treadmill, exercise room no privacy (no window coverings), next to parking lot.
Broken bike machine
Vending machine took money (sign reads hotel not responsible)
Dirty and ripped couch (again, various stains)
Peeling shower
Sink is bleached smelling
Lumps and dips in floor

2  Thank rachdig
Reviewed 30 August 2005

My Complaint:
I booked two rooms at this hotel via Hotwire over a month before our trip ($108 per room, including taxes & fees). My husband and I were traveling with another couple and only planned to stay one night in Hollywood before heading south for a wedding. Our plane from Honolulu arrived at LAX about 6pm and we drove around the area exploring for awhile before checking into the hotel at 8pm. The front desk clerk informed me that he only showed a reservation for one room (and didn’t care at all that I had a print-out of my confirmation with Hotwire showing two PREPAID rooms). He said they were sold out for the evening and the four of us could share one room or we could try the Travelodge down the street. He also said he didn’t see our reservation as being prepaid. No manager on duty to assist us.

We ended up sharing the one room and I called Hotwire to refund the cost of the other (no problems on that side). In the morning the front desk clerk (the same guy – they sure do work long hours!) confirmed that our room was already paid and said another room had opened up later that night, but he didn’t want to disturb us since it was late. Um, okay. Thanks for letting me know after the fact. He tried to charge us for the parking ($9 I think) and I told him there was no way I was paying for that when they gave away one of our rooms – the LEAST they could do was comp it. He said he didn’t have the authority. It wasn’t until after I asked to speak to the manager he finally got up and went to ask for authorization to comp.

Other Details:
Our first floor room was fine. Not a bad size - two double beds, small couch and coffee table, mini fridge and microwave. Clean. Fairly quiet. View of parking lot.

Elevator down to breakfast area was unbearably slow (5 minutes both ways, seriously). They need a set of stairs nearby or something.

Breakfast wasn’t great, but it was free so I can’t really complain. When we were there they were out of forks, juice glasses, and syrup. Eggs and croissants were gross, but there was plenty of juice, milk, cereal, toast, waffles, and sausages that were fine.

Area was somewhat seedy, but if you’re driving it’s fine. Don’t expect to walk to Hollywood or any other sites of interest – it’s quite a ways and not a pretty walk.

Parking was being renovated or something nearest to the hotel, so it was hard to find a stall. When we returned from sightseeing at around 11:30pm we got the last stall and it was >tight<!

We didn’t see the pool area, but the courtyard area in the center of the hotel looked nice.

Is this a 2 or 3 star hotel?? Hotwire calls it 3, but Tripadvisor says 2. I’d definitely call it a 2. Don’t pay more than $90 to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank Suzanne55
Reviewed 16 August 2005

I am an avid traveler who does not need 5 star accomadations to be happy, but I do expect to get what I pay for, and this was not the case... They did not tell me that hotel was on the outskirts of Hollywood, hard to find, and it was not anywhere I would walk around outside at anytime of the day, all of the business around had bars up on the windows and doors.

We found old strawberries in our fridge in the room, the beds were awful, they left signs in the bathrooms stating exactly what you would be charged if you stole one their sand paper towels, and another sign next to the toilet saying not to call them if you pluged it up.

The fron desk was also no help, I asked on Saturday what time Universal was open until, they told me 8:00 ( with little confidence) and after checking my self it was 9:00. They were also very slow, no one was any hurry to help you out.

• Stayed: August 2005