“Only if necessary”

Ranked #155 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Summerville
“Only if necessary”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The motel is not well kept. It is near the LAX airport which makes it somewhat acceptable. However, they do not provide transportation to the airport. I only used it because of necessity and the fact that I had a rental car to turn in the next morning prior to going to the airport.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room in this hotel. As near as possible to the office would be my suggesti...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank doceads

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Being from Las Vegas I've stayed in everything from $400 a night rooms to motel 8s and this is the worst. We killed five roaches in our room, when we brought it to the desk clerk's attention she shrugged & said we don't have bug spray. There's three of us booked for our room and all of our key cards are deactivated within 8hrs and we need to get new ones multiple times a day. Our air conditioner either runs constantly or cooks us. The desk in the corner had the wood rotting all along the bottom of it and the top was peeling. One morning I woke up & walked down the hallway to find an empty packet for erection meds laying there, they weren't picked up until early afternoon. For over $100 a night it was definitely not worth it & wouldn't suggest staying to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Itsjessnv
Karen A, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
We greatly aplolgize for the inconvience you experienced while staying here. We are working hard on make our performance better for both the guest and us. Thank you for letting us know what you experienced while staying here.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Los Altos, CA
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night so I could go to a performance at the Greek Theatre. This is located about three miles from the venue.

For a total bill (including taxes) of $92 I was not expecting much, but it was off-putting when you have to speak through bullet-proof glass to the receptionist. I did appreciate the many video cameras which were around the property, and the gated parking area.

The room smelt a bit musty, but not so bad that I could not sleep there. However, the sight of a smoke alarm hanging off the wall was scary (see picture).

I went to the event at the Greek Theatre and returned after dark. The neighborhood around the hotel is not good and I would not recommend going out after dark. Friends who I visited after staying at this motel, who had lived nearby, confirmed that this is a bad part of town.

I went to bed and was woken up at 2:30 AM by loud conversations and the clanging of the pool gate. A group of eight people were congregated around a table by the pool. Even with the windows closed and the A/C running I could clearly hear their conversation and laughter. I tried calling the front desk numerous times, but was only put through to voice mail. To walk to the front desk I would have had to walk by the group and I did not feel comfortable doing that. The group finally went to their rooms at 4:00 AM.

I cannot recommend this motel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Smokeyham
Karen A, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
I apologize for the invonvience your stay had been here. we do our best to make sure that the customers are quiet at night. We failed to do that on the night you stayed and for that I apologize again. Your feed back will help us do better.
Toronto
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife and I (frequent travelers) stayed here for one night. Our 'non-smoking' room had an overwhelming smell of smoke upon check in. When we complained to the front desk that it was a smoking room, we were told that the room was converted to a non-smoking room a few weeks ago and he couldn't get us another room as they were fully booked. This was clearly a lie as the room had an ashtray provided in it and ashes still in the sink. On checkout the next morning, the dishonesty of the night attendant was verified by the front desk attendant in the morning who indicated the room has always been a non-smoking room. Despite the motel fraudulently selling a smoking room as a non-smoking room, no offer for resolution was provided.

Our stay: 1 night in a non-smoking double room

Pros:
- free parking, see cons
- good water pressure in shower

Cons:
- horrible first impression, with front desk behind a security glass
- overwhelming smell of smoke in non-smoking room
- non-smoking room includes ashtray. And ashes in sink.
- very limited parking spots (I saw 3 cars enter and exit the parking lot as it was full as I unloaded my luggage)
- Old furniture and microwave probably from the 80s
- bedding equally as old
- damaged walls
- hair on towels. Just glad I had my own towel
- horrible view from room, a wall 10 ft away.
- no tissue paper
- light in washroom flickers like in horror movies.
- extremely slow free wifi, practically unusable

Sleep rating: 1/10, poor pillows with old and dirty blankets. Could not get fresh air from outside as heating/cooling unit extremely noisy

Shower rating: 8/10, only good thing about motel. Great water pressure although the height of the shower head is extremely low unless you are 5' tall.

Conclusion: Don't stay at this motel in desperate need of renovations unless you smoke and want all your belongings to smell like smoke or can't afford any other motel/hotel. Even ignoring the smoke, I can easily say this is the worst motel/hotel I have ever stayed in and is well below acceptable in North America.

Room Tip: there is no such thing as non-smoking room at this motel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Pinter17
Karen A, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
We apologize for the trouble you had at this hotel. We strive to make everyone feel welcome here and when these things happen we want to make sure it don't happen again. And we are working on a solution to this.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I arrived from Ohio with an open mind having read some reviews that made Alkatraz seem more appealing. My room was clean, large, well appointed, and with a refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave all in perfect working order. The bed was large and comfortable. The water was hot, the bathroom spotless and housekeeping were both very efficient and non-intrusive. Don't expect a gourmet breakfast but the coffee and Danish were decent. The swimming pool was well maintained and freshly planted flower beds made the place much more attractive that I expected. Don't expect the front desk staff to be overly cheery and glamorous but my experience was entirely positive. Just on price alone I will happily return. There is an excellent market immediately next door with many decent restaurants nearby. Hollywood Boulevard is a short and safe walk away. I was in Hollywood for a week finishing a film and post production facilities were within walking distance. With the saving on the cost of the room and adding on my dining out and taxis I was still far better off than if I had stayed at other properties nearby. My room, dining out and taxis were cheaper combined than what I would have paid for similar accommodation in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank 539_Keith_P
Karen A, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you. We strive to have everyone enjoy heir stay and will continue to do so. Thank you again for the compliment. Karen
California Hot Springs, California
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I had been looking for places to stay for the weekend for my boyfriend and our 2 friends. My boyfriend had business to deal with on Saturday morning so we were looking for something close to some sort of nightlife. We decided on Hollywood because of the Walk of Fame and the 20 minute drive to Venice. I looked every where for rooms but because we were on a budget and wanted to be within cab distance to action we choose here. We came very late and was greeted by a very friendly older lady. She told us where to park and which way our room was so we could try to park close. The parking lot is extremely small and if its full you might not get a spot. The room was small, carpet was cheap but clean and the bathroom was clean however there was mold in the corners of the shower curtain. They only had one iron and it was in use for the weekend so we had no way to iron our clothes all weekend. The bed is clean however I strip the blankets and sheets off in most places we stay. The fridge works very well and the tv came in clear. Cab ride was only 15.00 for the Walk of Fame. We were 4 minutes late checking out and the man in the front called to tell us to get out. We were literally walking out the door when he called. I would expect this hotel to be closer to the $75.00 price range than the $110.00 but at least I know an alternative if I need one.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the pool. You can overlook your car and you are away from the noise of the s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alovelycoupleindeed
Karen A, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for your review on the hotel. We are striving to make things better for the customers and we apologize for the check out ordeal.
notre-du-mont-carmel
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed 2 weeks in Californie and all our stay were on that category of hotel. Unfortunately, we didn't have a good experience with the room 114. We first found ants in the bathroom. We told the lady at the front desk to check it out and when we got back, nothing had changed. The night after, I went next to the fridge to get baby food and there was some cockroachs on the top and on the door. They changed us of room without being surprised about what we had just say. The manager had told us that we'll get one free night for that. Even with that, we had to clean all our clothes in our suitcases to make sure we won't bring it back home. We finaly got bed around 1 o'clock and the next morning, we woke up early to finish the laundry. There was also moisiture, a hole in the wall, waste behind the fridge that were not ours. The overall quality of the room was poor. This hotel has a serious need of renovation and we don't recommend it to tourists who wish to spend quality time in Hollywood. Perhaps it was a three star few years ago but to this day, he would rather be a weak two stars.

At the end of our stay, we asked the manager to get refund for the 3 nights for all the desagrement. They accepted it, fortunately.

To finish, I'd like to say than ''continental breakfast'' for my part, mean more than english bread, butter, coffee with powder milk and one sorte of pastry.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, don't lose your time to check this hotel....
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank arcandrene
Karen A, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
We are sorry for the experience you have had in our hotel. We are working hard to see that the problems you mentioned in your comments are being taken care of.