“Great Location, Big Rooms, Friendly Service”

Hollywood Orchid Suites
Ranked #4 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sydney, Australia
“Great Location, Big Rooms, Friendly Service”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We are newlyweds who stayed here as part of a 3 month trip around the states in May of 2011 and thought this hotel was great - if you love the Hollywood area.

We didn't particularly connect with the neighbourhood and found the whole place itself quite tacky and overdone, but that is nothing to do with the hotel.

Yes, the rooms aren't particularly modern and you can tell that this hotel was built some time ago but they are clean, spacious and have everything you could possibly need. We were surprised to have our own kitchen and coffee/tea making facilities.

The bed was big and comfortable and the proximity to the big shopping mall across the road was great.

The front desk staff were lovely and the simple free breakfast in the morning was fab.

Would stay here again if I am ever needed back in Hollywood :)

To keep track of the rest of our trip check out our website:
www.revelintheview.com.au

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank revelintheview

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Great spot so central and walking distance from Graumans, Madame Tussauds, Hollywood walk of fame and Hollywood & Highland mall.

The rooms are aged but clean and serviced daily. The service is friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast is complimentary and ample. The noise of cleaning trolleys rolling by windows and footsteps above impeded sleep some, but it was still worth it. The wifi was slow and erratic, but free.

Having a full kitchen saved dollars on eating out, too. Free parking was fab. Great value.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank FeistyKel
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2011

The location is very convenient to Hollywood Blvd. The price was reasonable. Our room was very dated and although the service and staff were lovely, on balance, I think I would book somewhere else next time. When fittings, linen, cutlery, carpets are that old, it is difficult to be completely confident using them.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank RuaDublinIreland
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 15 May 2011

While this isn't the Ritz Carlton, it is a fabulous find. Bed room huge along with full kitchen and bath. Beautiful rooftop garden where we had our cocktails.
Location, Location, Location. You just walk out the door and go 1/4 block into the entrance to the Kodak Theater Mall, which has some great restaurants or walk out the mall and you are on Hollywood Blvd. Great place to people watch as they gaze at the Grahman Chinese Theater or the Hollywood walk of fame.

• Stayed May 2011
Oxford
Reviewed 12 May 2011

This is really very convenient for all the attractions of Hollywood. It is just a few yards to Hollywood Boulevard, yet is in a fairly quiet side street. The suite was quite a surprise as whilst not new was very clean & tidy & so big that you could easily live in it without adding any more facilities! The only minor gripe is that there is a commercial loading bay not far away that got a little noisy from about 6am but unless you are a particularly light sleeper is not a problem. We had a huge television in the lounge & another very reasonable one in the bedroom. The kitchen is fully fitted so you could easily cook a full meal if you were so inclined whilst on holiday. There is a reasonable continantal breakfast included in the room rate. Free wifi is available and also a pc if you dont have a laptop with you. There is a nice outdoor swimming pool and a rooftop garden with loungers etc. The staff were all cheerful & helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The Hollywood Orchid Suites is a very conveniently located hotel, if your interest is to stay around the Hollywood Boulevard area. In any case it has its upsides and downsides. I recommend it but only if you can put up with the following quirks:

It is a converted apartment complex built some time ago. It is old. I don't want to say it is run down, but it is showing its age. To make an analogy, if this hotel were a car, it would be a 1967 Buick that the owner has kept clean and driveable, but it has its wear and tear. Or, it were a human, it would be like an old man or old woman who dresses well and tried to keep in shape, but still shows its age. For instance, the bathroom in the room I stayed in had lime deposits on the aluminum framework. The furniture in the bedroom showed its age and usage. The mattress was a bit lumpy, but in spite of this, it was comfortable. It is also located behind the Renaissance Hotel and the Kodak Theatre, so delivery trucks can make a lot of noise for rooms facing the streets.

So if understand that this hotel is not a luxury hotel, it's more like staying at your old Auntie's house. So if you are not a snob you have no problem with a lack of glamor, then you'll be comfortable at the Hollywood Orchid Suites. because it has many strong positives:

1) Location. If you want to explore Hollywood, this place is very conveniently located. Even though it is behind the Renaissance Hotel (to the east) and the Kodak-Grauman Theatres and Shops complex on a little dead-end road, it is easy to walk to Hollywood
Blvd. There is a passageway built into the back of the Kodak Theater complex that will take you to either Grauman's or Hollywood Blvd.
2) FREE PARKING!!! In a gated garage under the hotel! In Los Angeles! This is worth it's weight in gold alone and makes this hotel worth the minor inconveniences!
3) The operators keep the hotel very clean. It is old and looks it, but like I said, it is clean and that is far more important than its being fancy.
4) It has a small, in-room safe.
5) It has an elevator, which not all budget hotels in L.A. do.
6) I understand it has a continental breakfast. I never went so I can't vouch for it, but I was told it does.
7) Good air conditioning.
6) Large suites are available. I stayed in a one-bedroom suite with an ample bathroom and a large living room and nice-sized full kitchen with a real refrigerator. Nice if you are staying for a while.
8) The price was reasonable. I think L.A. is terribly overpriced as far as hotel go; it's one of the reason I prefer going to the Bay Area (better hotels for less cost). But considering the prices of the upscale hotels in the area, it was a good price. And considering some truly bad dives in the area go for the price of this hotel, it is a great value.
9) As long as you behave, the staff leaves you alone. They respect the "do not disturb" sign.

If I need to be in the Hollywood area and don't need to show off, I will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DCinAZ
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I was visiting LA to see my newly married friend and didn't want to imposed by staying at her place so I went looking for a reasonably priced hotel in LA not to far away from Silver Lake. After exhaustive searching by myself and my friend we decided the Hollywood Orchid Suites would be just the ticket! Happily I booked, with no issue.

I arrived in LA on 3/12/11 and called the hotel to find out if it would be okay to check-in must later than the usual check in time. No problem, your room will be waiting for you. Excellent!

Fast forward to later that night. After I am buzzed into the hotel (yes, buzzed in like an apartment building) I am met by the "receptionist" who appears to be the only one around trying to do everything (including informing a guest, who while trying to do laundry had the machine turn off on her, to push the electric cord in all the way and the machine will start again). I was checked in and handed a key with a large chunk of plastic attached which can only be likened to old fashioned computer punch cards. The key was for the garage gate, the hunk of plastic, the room key to 311.

I make my way into the garage, park my car and proceed to the wide OPEN door to the hotel to a hallway that is pitch black. Now, the only way you can get into the garage is if you are a guest with a key for the gate. However, as a woman by herself, I found this to not be best circumstance to be in.

Upon arriving on the third floor, I see a very long open hallway. Wondering where room 311 is I start down the hallway and low and behold, 311 is way down at the end. The issue with this? This section is almost separated from the rest of the rooms in the floor sharing space with a staircase, slop closet and another unidentifiable padlocked room. After several tries and a heavy shoulder I get the room door open. I enter a musty, dank room with the bed barely 5 ft from the door, sagging chairs, water stained ceiling, peeling paint, a rusty aged heater, filthy curtains, AC not on (when turned on not pumping anything out), a circuit breaker box, a cigarette burn on the bathroom counter, a bathroom fan that appears to not have been cleaned for years and the shower pipe separating from the wall. But the kitchen was spotless. Oh, and the reason the door was so hard to open as my friend discovered? The frame of the door looked like the door had been kicked in and then rehung.

I immediately went downstairs to check out. I received a full refund as the hotel was fully booked but was also told that room 311 has often been requested and that the hotel has never received complaints about it. Maybe I am picky (as the "receptionist" tried to insinuate) but I don't think it is too much to think that my room be clean and in good condition.

Be warned, the pictures online looked very different than what I received and perhaps it was because it was the last room due to my late check-in, but there should never be that much of a discrepancy in standards between rooms in a hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank whitenm
orchjb, Owner at Hollywood Orchid Suites, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
This is a long and hard review and quite honestly it surprised me. We are only a 2 diamond property but customer ratings on Trip Advisor rate us # 19 out of hundreds of hotels in L.A. It seems that some customers after seeing those ratings may think we are a 3 or 4 star hotel and are a bit disappointed.
So we are not fancy and have not had a recent “decorator” upgrade but because of that we keep our prices very competitive to the area we are in and amenities we offer. The large famous hotel next door l sells rooms at $300+ when ours are just over 1/3 of that. Our rooms are bigger, have kitchens and dining tables and offer amenities like a continental breakfast, parking and hi speed internet access at no charge. So there is the trade off…you stay in the best area in Hollywood in a clean and spacious room and save money.
As to this customer’s complaints…I checked them myself, she was right about the front door, it was binding, the apartment style heater (we are a converted apartment building) did show its age and yes each apartment has a subpanel with circuit breaker (not sure why that was a problem). There was even a little chip in the bathroom counter (not a cigarette burn). However all the rest did not show true. The AC worked great, the sofa chairs were fairly new and comfortable, the curtains were clean, the shower had an S-shaped pipe to raise the shower head per customer requests, and the whole place was spotless not only the kitchen as she admitted. By her own admission she arrived late and there was only one clerk on duty (again not sure why this was a problem for her – we only have 40 rooms/suites). The door could have been fixed the next morning, the next day we could have switched her room (we were totally sold out that night) and we were more than willing to adjust the rate for the inconvenience. However according to the clerk the customer refused any adjustment, or help to find another hotel or contact with the manager, but rather was eager to get out of the reservation and stay at her local friend’s apartment for free.
I think you will find our hotel a great place to stay in Hollywood. We are #19 because a great majority of our reviews are very good. We go out of our way to make your stay pleasant, to make sure everything in your room is clean and works and that you are safe. We are constantly making improvements even though our high occupancy makes those come a bit slower than I would like. Manager/owner