“Nothing but good things to say”

Hollywood Orchid Suites
Ranked #4 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Have just spend a week here. Several people told me not to stay in Hollywood but I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. We wanted to use public transport and this was the ideal base. Using the metro train and buses we got all over including Santa Monica, Little Tokyo, Downtown, Universal, Warner Brothers, Beverly Hills, The Grove and Farmer's Markets. Yes we had to wait for buses but seriously it was never that long and the stress from driving out of LA to Vegas nearly caused a divorce! Taxi from LAX to hotel on Thanksgiving morning was $55 including a tip. Access to Hollywood Blvd is 2 minutes on foot through the Hollywood Highland mall. All the big Hollywood sights are at your finger tips. There is a grocery store 2-5 minutes walk on Hollywood Blvd.

We paid $129 + taxes p.n. for 3 of us in a two queen bed room with separate kitchen and balcony. Room was large, comfortable and clean. Although not the most modern it was a great room that allowed us to eat in a couple of nights after exhausting days walking.

Breakfast was more than suitable. An abundance of bagels, croissants, cereals and fruit. Juices, tea and coffee was also provided. Eating area had very few tables but trays were provided so you could take your food back to your room. Awesome for relaxing in bed over brekkie! The breakfast lady was lovely, friendly and very helpful.

Nice touches - they gave us an additional TAP card to use for public transport, print outs of movie times and special events coming up were provided (found out about The Hobbit premier and Ben Stiller hand print ceremony), umbrellas to use when it rained and lollies on the front counter.

Only negative is the noise. I'm a very light sleeper but was used to it after a couple of days. They are aware it is an old building with thinner walls and have signs up asking for quiet. This is the only reason I'm not giving 5 stars.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for the price especially if you are wanting to avoid driving in LA. Not a flash 5 star hotel but brilliant for what you pay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tsutt35
There are newer reviews for Hollywood Orchid Suites

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my family and it was amazing. We had a room on the 3rd floor with 2 king sized beds the room was the perfect size nice beds. The Continental breakfast was pretty good and the lady who was serving the food was really nice and chatty. I was surprised of how close it was to Hollywood boulevard. Next time I come to LA I will be staying here.Thank you to all the staff and workers who made my vacation amazing

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Very clean and quiet property less than a block from the chaos of Hollywood Blvd. The staff was among the friendliest and most helpful of any I've met. The room was very large--like a small apartment--and very quiet at night. The breakfast buffet was large enough to meet any appetite. The location was great--only a couple of minutes' walk through the mall to the Blvd, and, in the other direction, about 15 minutes to Runyon Canyon Park, which provided a great climb and terrific view. When I next visit LA. I'll certainly stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We spent three nights here and had a pleasant stay. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. The continental breakfast is plentiful and offers many choices.

My only complaint would be the soundproofing - anytime someone had a conversation outside our room we could hear every word, as well as suitcases being rolled down the hall. At night it did quiet down though. I might ask for a room on a higher floor next time.

This is an older type of property so you cannot expect pristine surroundings, but the location is hard to beat - right behind the intersection of Hollywood & Highland though still on a quiet street.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! Initially I booked it because it was the only place I could find that had a separate bedroom (for my daughter who is 3) and that was still within the budget. The next time I go back that will not be the only reason I stay there! All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and most especially Patricia who serves breakfast in the morning. As described on their website the place used to be an apartment block and I wasn't expecting much when we arrived but I was pleasantly surprised. The room we stayed in was really spacious, beds were comfortable and don't be deceived by the size of the hairdryers - better than the one I own at home! Onto the next great thing about this hotel.. Location, location, location!! Literally across the road is a tunnel that leads into the Hollywood/Highland centre, a short walk through this and you are standing on the Walk of Fame across from the El Capitan theatre. A short walk to the right is the Dolby Theatre, Hard Rock Cafe and the chinese theatre. A short walk to the left is the Metro rail and buses, which take you pretty much anywhere (and the hotel has a computer you can use for free to plan your trip). I would definitely stay here again, the price was great especially when considering that you have a full kitchen at your disposal to help save a bit of money when eating out but most importantly I don't think you can beat the location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank misstory
Reviewed 30 November 2013

If you want to stay close to everything in Hollywood then this is the place. Very economical and the rooms were comfortable. Encountered a few problems though: if you drive a large 4WD or a van, it may not fit in the underground carpark (this was a headache however there was a large carpark across the road) and left my watch in the room - rang and two emails later - still no reply.
However if you have a family and on a budget - then this is the place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
OrchidSuites_Manager, Manager at Hollywood Orchid Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for your review of the Hollywood Orchid Suites. We appreciate your recommending us as "the place" to stay in Hollywood! We have a great staff who deliver excellent customer service, a well-maintained property, clean rooms and for a reasonable price, especially considering our location, as you noted, which is close to everything.

After reading your review, we retrieved the note that our front desk clerk wrote when you called three days after checking out to say that you may have left your watch by the pool (not the room) and you asked that we call you if we find it. By that time the watch had not been turned in nor had it been found by our staff and the room had already been cleaned and rented for three days. However, we kept your note in case it did turn up. Had we known you were waiting for a call back we surely would have done so and sincerely apologize for not doing so anyhow. Additionally, I searched our email accounts and found no email from you. We always check and answer our emails several times throughout each day.

Concerning the height of our garage opening, we state the height limit clearly on our confirmation letters and on our website. Guests with bigger vehicles (vans, large SUVs) can park next door for a fee.

We enjoyed meeting you and your family and appreciate your choosing to stay with us while visiting Hollywood! We have a lot of Australian visitors and feel a lot of love for our Aussie guests!

Sandra Hausaman, Manager

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This place is simply amazing value for the price. Clean, safe, friendly, comfortable, huge rooms with nice bedding OMG simply fantastic. Anyone on a family tip to LA and in particular Hollywood would be stupid not to stay here. The staff were wonderful and accommodating inviting us to have breakfast after a long 14 hr flight and 2 hour line crawling at LAX. they then kept our bags whilst we were heading to Universal studios with tap cards sold at the hotel. Then on the day we checked out they kept our bags until 7pm when our shuttle was to arrive. The room had 2 huge king sized beds and a roll out. 2 lcd tvs, a kitchen, huge fridge complimtary, water, coffee and tea plus some lollies to top itall off. This place is 30 seconds walk from hollywood and highland and a couple of minutes from the walk of fame. Fantastic, thank you hollywood orchid suites and those who contribute to tripadvisor, the only regret was not staying longer!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family