“home away from home”

Ranked #4 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Manila, Philippines
“home away from home”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just got back from our US tour. Our last stop is LA and we chose this hotel based on the reviews here in trip advisor.
First, checking in was super quick. The guy was really friendly and even though we are tired, we got there at around 11pm, his smile made us feel better.
Room was very good, with kitchen, dining place, big beds and a small balcony for us to check the weather every day. Laundry room was also okay.
The location was great. Walking distance to hollywood blvd and sunset strip, shopping places, theaters and other places listed in the hop on hop off tour.
Our thanks to Patricia, who made our breakfast special, as if mom was with us. Thank you to Marlo for lending us tap card which we used in going to Universal Studios. Hope she gets well soon. The guy at the front desk who was very friendly and even lent us umbrellas. Only flaw is one employee whom we heard saying we're insekto (insect) because she heard us speaking in Chinese. She knows it and we got to know her name too. Be careful next time, girl.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lalaine g
OrchidSuites_Manager, Manager at Hollywood Orchid Suites, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for your great review of the Hollywood Orchid Suites and your comments about our awesome staff. We really try to be “Home away from Home” and appreciate that you noticed.

All of our staff is dedicated to making sure that our guests enjoy their stay. As Hollywood is a top tourist destination for international travelers, many of our guests speak other languages. We can assure you that someone speaking a different language is not an issue for any of us and we do our very best to communicate with and to accommodate our visitors who do not understand or speak English.

Furthermore, we pride ourselves on our cultural diversity as we have employees from more than eight countries -- including the Philippines -- that collectively speak more than six languages and practice four religions.

Last of all, let me say that the employee who assisted you is one of the kindest people I know and I can emphatically say that you may have misunderstood her and assumed something that was not said or intended.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Warm regards,

Sandra Hausaman, Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here early Nov13, this is a no frills property BUT in saying that it was very comfortable, very secure, great location, good price and comp breakie. All staff go out of their way to help with any questions, the breakie lady is just so sweet. We had a balcony which i so appreciated we had our breakfast out there each morning. Everything is very clean, transport is close and easy to use, should i return to Hollywood i wouldnt look elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Have just spend a week here. Several people told me not to stay in Hollywood but I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. We wanted to use public transport and this was the ideal base. Using the metro train and buses we got all over including Santa Monica, Little Tokyo, Downtown, Universal, Warner Brothers, Beverly Hills, The Grove and Farmer's Markets. Yes we had to wait for buses but seriously it was never that long and the stress from driving out of LA to Vegas nearly caused a divorce! Taxi from LAX to hotel on Thanksgiving morning was $55 including a tip. Access to Hollywood Blvd is 2 minutes on foot through the Hollywood Highland mall. All the big Hollywood sights are at your finger tips. There is a grocery store 2-5 minutes walk on Hollywood Blvd.

We paid $129 + taxes p.n. for 3 of us in a two queen bed room with separate kitchen and balcony. Room was large, comfortable and clean. Although not the most modern it was a great room that allowed us to eat in a couple of nights after exhausting days walking.

Breakfast was more than suitable. An abundance of bagels, croissants, cereals and fruit. Juices, tea and coffee was also provided. Eating area had very few tables but trays were provided so you could take your food back to your room. Awesome for relaxing in bed over brekkie! The breakfast lady was lovely, friendly and very helpful.

Nice touches - they gave us an additional TAP card to use for public transport, print outs of movie times and special events coming up were provided (found out about The Hobbit premier and Ben Stiller hand print ceremony), umbrellas to use when it rained and lollies on the front counter.

Only negative is the noise. I'm a very light sleeper but was used to it after a couple of days. They are aware it is an old building with thinner walls and have signs up asking for quiet. This is the only reason I'm not giving 5 stars.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for the price especially if you are wanting to avoid driving in LA. Not a flash 5 star hotel but brilliant for what you pay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tsutt35
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my family and it was amazing. We had a room on the 3rd floor with 2 king sized beds the room was the perfect size nice beds. The Continental breakfast was pretty good and the lady who was serving the food was really nice and chatty. I was surprised of how close it was to Hollywood boulevard. Next time I come to LA I will be staying here.Thank you to all the staff and workers who made my vacation amazing

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Bennington, Vermont
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Very clean and quiet property less than a block from the chaos of Hollywood Blvd. The staff was among the friendliest and most helpful of any I've met. The room was very large--like a small apartment--and very quiet at night. The breakfast buffet was large enough to meet any appetite. The location was great--only a couple of minutes' walk through the mall to the Blvd, and, in the other direction, about 15 minutes to Runyon Canyon Park, which provided a great climb and terrific view. When I next visit LA. I'll certainly stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We spent three nights here and had a pleasant stay. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. The continental breakfast is plentiful and offers many choices.

My only complaint would be the soundproofing - anytime someone had a conversation outside our room we could hear every word, as well as suitcases being rolled down the hall. At night it did quiet down though. I might ask for a room on a higher floor next time.

This is an older type of property so you cannot expect pristine surroundings, but the location is hard to beat - right behind the intersection of Hollywood & Highland though still on a quiet street.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! Initially I booked it because it was the only place I could find that had a separate bedroom (for my daughter who is 3) and that was still within the budget. The next time I go back that will not be the only reason I stay there! All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and most especially Patricia who serves breakfast in the morning. As described on their website the place used to be an apartment block and I wasn't expecting much when we arrived but I was pleasantly surprised. The room we stayed in was really spacious, beds were comfortable and don't be deceived by the size of the hairdryers - better than the one I own at home! Onto the next great thing about this hotel.. Location, location, location!! Literally across the road is a tunnel that leads into the Hollywood/Highland centre, a short walk through this and you are standing on the Walk of Fame across from the El Capitan theatre. A short walk to the right is the Dolby Theatre, Hard Rock Cafe and the chinese theatre. A short walk to the left is the Metro rail and buses, which take you pretty much anywhere (and the hotel has a computer you can use for free to plan your trip). I would definitely stay here again, the price was great especially when considering that you have a full kitchen at your disposal to help save a bit of money when eating out but most importantly I don't think you can beat the location.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family