“Excellent value for the location”

Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset
Ranked #127 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent value for the location”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This motel is very well-located and is excellent value. The staff were very friendly. Free parking and wifi worked well. Breakfast was basic but coffee was much too weak. There are a couple of small shops and a Metro station within easy walking distance. The pool is not great because it's in the middle of the parking lot. I would recommend the hotel for anyone, including families, on a tight budget. Our son had a bad case of bedbugs that appeared a couple days after leaving (when we were in SF) and while we cannot say for sure where they came from, it's possible that they were picked up at this motel. (I feel bad about having to add this last caveat, and I would still highly recommend this motel. Please look for signs and wash your clothes if you find any evidence of bites!)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CTPN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Etobicoke, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I just got home from a trip to LA and San Francisco. Prior to leaving for the trip my travel companion and I were really looking forward to staying at the Travelodge Vermont/Sunset based on the reviews and comments posted online.
The hotel started out great, check in was easy, breakfast and wi-fi were free, but by the 2nd day of our stay I was covered in mysterious, itchy, red bites, which I initially assumed was an allergic reaction to something I had eaten since my companion was bite free. Throughout the rest of my stay more and more bites continued to develop and by our last day in LA my friend was also covered in itchy, red bites as well. Since we were both covered in bites, we did a bit of research and discovered that we'd been bitten by BEDBUGS!

This put a damper on the rest of our trip, as we were concerned that we would transfer the bugs along with us to San Fran - not to mention the crazy itching that plagued us the rest of our trip and still is now that we're at home.

I would have given this hotel a 4, for overall service, location and having good basic amenities, but being itchy and feeling gross and bitten for a week+ after killed my stay and
the rest of my trip.

If you want a basic, cheap hotel take your chances staying here, because clearly you may have a nasty surprise lurking in the sheets.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank FreshGinger

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Trento, Italy
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Strategic position, clean and large full-equipped rooms, parking, swimming pool, internet workstation freely available, cheap rates. What do you want more?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maxconti
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed here in Sept 2010 whilst travelling through California. I couldn't find any fault with the place, fair enough its basic but when you're only paying $52 per night thats all you expect. The guy on reception was very friendly and was very helpful in recommending things to do in the city. The rooms were clean and its in a good location, its only about a 10-15 min drive to Universal (traffc permitting) the area around the hotel looks a little seedy but theres not much in the neighbourhood so there is no reason to be walking around at night. The hospital across the road can get a little noisy but I'm a heavy sleeper so this never bothered me. Theres also a subway just arund the corner which came in handy. The pool looked clean enough but we never used it as the fact that it was in the middle of the car park put us off!
All in all I would definitely reccomend if you want a cheap and clean place to stay in LA

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jayne87
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I arrived at this hotel to be suprised about this hotel i thought it would have been very dated, but it looks like it has been refurbished, this is not a 5 star hotel by all means but it is a very good travelodge.

I didnt go in the pool but the colour of it made me think twice about going in.

This location is great to travel around the whole of Los Angeles.

Rooms clean, Staff friendly and you get a complementary breakfast.

If this is your first time in la this will be a great hotel for location.

I will be returning to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We arrived at the hotel early after an early morning flight. Exhausted, we wanted chance to sit down and catch our breath before heading out to explore. Despite turning up to the hotel 3 hours prior to the check in time, they were able to provide us with a room. The room was spotlessly clean, save for a dirty flannel in the bathroom - but the less said about that the better. With that sole exception, I would struggle to fault our stay here. The staff were helpful, and yes as someone else remarked they did try to sell certain tours to us, but saying no was easy enough. Breakfast is best carried back to the room as the lobby area where it is served is a little small, but the selection of cereals, toast and tea and coffee suited us fine nonetheless. It is also complimentary, which is more than can be said for some much more expensive hotels. Free internet is also a bonus.

The hotel is ideally located a short walk from a red line metro station which for $6.00 a day you can use to access pretty much all the attractions in the area - we were there for 4 days and didn't run out of things to do. Griffith Observatory is walking distance but a bit of a hike! The view of the Los Angeles basin from the top and the Hollywood sign makes it more than worth the effort.

The only other thing was that it took them a while to cancel the authorization of deposit on my credit card despite saying it would be done on check out (I knew this as it was the only exact $50 I had spent).

However, aside from some noisy kids outside on the first night, this was a pleasant stay at a fairly basic but perfectly adequate, clean and friendly hotel. I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hamilton
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Enjoyed stay, location is pretty central with good access to Metro. Clean / safe surroundings, could easily walk out at night. Basic free breakfast provided by hotel is also good & helps save when travelling on a budget. Staff are helpful & friendly - will definitely recommend to other travellers !

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple