“Pleasant stay. No problems at all.” 5 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown
Ranked #57 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas
“Pleasant stay. No problems at all.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed at the Double Tree Downtown Los Angeles for 3 nights the weekend of July 18, 2013. I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews. However, I feel compelled to say positive things about the hotel. Lobby was nice. All the staff we encountered were very nice, helpful and positive. The beds were comfy. Room was a decent size. We were able to make it as dark and as light as could be I didn't notice any excessive outside street noise, except on Friday morning there was some construction across the street. Not the hotels fault. Good lighting in the bathroom. Plenty of plugs for cell chargers, etc. In room safe was a plus. We were on the 16th floor and could still get the free wifi that is available in the lobby. Yes, the parking is $30/day for self or $36 for valet. But all parking in downtown LA is expensive. I found a great rate on the room, so it all evened out. Starbucks is downstairs. We used the free shuttle service once to another location in downtown area. He leaves every half hour, but talk to the front desk, as you will need to reserve a seat. The fitness area was great as well. Had pretty new equipment, I think 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals plus some free weights. I can't comment much about the area around hotel since we drove most of the time. We walked once to a pizza/bar that was about a block away. Felt totally safe doing so in daylight.

Room Tip: Our room was on the south side of hotel, 16th floor. There was some construction across the street...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreeManagement, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Hello kluvsmexico, thank you for taking time to complete a review about your experience at our hotel. I am very pleased to read that we were able to dispell the perception you had of us from the other Tripadvisor reviews you read. Out team takes great pride in providing our guests with the best possible experience we can.

You are correct we recently renovated our fitness center and our guests have truly taken to it, I frequently pass by there and it always has a few guests in it working out.

If there is anything I may assist you further with please do not hesitate to contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com and I will happily assist you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Johns Creek, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Late last year, I stayed at this property while on a business trip. I was upgraded to a suite and approximately 4-5 a.m. someone entered my room and took a personal item of mine (and yes it was expensive). I specifically know this since I woke up and actually heard the door shut and thought it was the guest next door. I stay over 70+ hotel nights a year and am always aware of in room security. I latched the bar and discovered the next morning the security latch was parallel to the door frame. When I travel Internationally, I usually take and use a door wedge and for added security. I never thought it would be an issue in the U.S.

I believe I would've had more taken from my room if I didn't wake up!! FYI, Corporate and local management was not very helpful.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Doug W
DoubletreeManagement, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Hello Doug W.; I am sorry you did not have a positive experience while staying with us. I understand that you have been in contact with Property Assistant General Manager Sam Reece and we have investigated this situation as well as conducted room lock interrogations. Please email me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com to discuss the matter further and i will be happy to assist.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

This was my first visit to LA and I have to say the area around the hotel was not the best. Lots of homeless people around the area, I am from Chicago and did not feel like it was the safest area. This hotel is near the police station and there was a constant noise of sirens all night. Now on to the hotel and the room. The bellman was very helpful in finding an excellent mexican place in the area for dinner. Check-in went smooth and quick; upon entering the room it look recently updated. The room was an OK size, but the bathroom was very small. The biggest issue I had with the room was the sound insulation... You could hear everything outside and the surrounding rooms. There was constant street noise and door slamming; this was one of the loudest hotels in terms of noise intrusion into the room that I have stayed at. I would choose another area next time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank jdog99
Hello jdog99; Thank you for the feedback. I was happy to read that our team members were able to meet your expectations. I do want to apologize for the noise you encountered during your stay; unfortunately the Downtown Area is surrounded by dynamic sights and sounds. If you do decide to give us another chance please contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com and I will be happy to assist.

United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

My stay was absolutely horrible. I specifically booked a certain hotel room (double beds) and was not given the correct room, causing one of my traveling guests to leave at 1 am due to inadequate reservations. Upon calling the front desk due to arriving in the room, I was told I could have a rollaway bed for an additional charge! Absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional. I will NEVER stay there again and I had nothing but a bad experience on my vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Yvonne C
Helo Yvonne C.; I am sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding our staff's service level. I can assure you that is not acceptable and your feedback will be shared with them to ensure correction.

If you would please contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com as I would like an opportunity to Make It Right for you.

orlando, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

The room was clean and the location good, but pricy for the lack of amenities, such as pool and microwaves. Pay to park. The gardens are amazing and beautiful and the suites are worth the upgrade if you have children. Plus free cookie:)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hello Bonnie S.; Thank you for the feedback about your recent stay with us. I understand you were not happy with the lack of amenities such as a pool and microwaves. Please note that we do have Microwaves available for guest use, I am sorry that our CARE agents did not share this information with you

If there is anything further I can assist with please email me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com

San Diego, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was very comfortable, except when we smelled cigarette smoke. Website advertised a pool, there is no pool at this location so that was a huge let down for the kids biggest reason I would not stay at this location again. Dinner menu is limited and salad had a bug in it. Walking distance to Alvera street market.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hello Charles H.; thank your for sharing with us the experienced you had while staying at Doubletree by Hilton Los Angeles Downtown. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation of having a pool onsite. Please contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com; if possible you can share with me where you the saw the incorrect information regarding our pool is listed so we can have it corrected.

tucson AZ USA, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Small room, should have had a shower for the $ charged. Internet should not be an additional charge. I felt they were going for the biggest billing in their favor. The big feature was the large TV set.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hello Don F.; I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. Our guests' perception of our product and offerings is extremely important to us. I can assure you that your feedback will be shared with our Facilities Team; Please contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com to further address your concerns.