“Business Trip to LA”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown
Ranked #59 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 May 2014

While the location is slightly off the beaten path several blocks from downtown LA, the hotel is delightful. The lobby is modern and sleek. The rooms are large and inviting. The hotel staff was pleasant and accomodating. I will return.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DoubletreeManagement, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Hello PVZ1961, thank you for taking time to review us; I am very happy that we were able to meet and exceed many of your expecations!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I'll start by saying all the staff at this hotel are extremely nice people. Concierge and valet gentlemen are as good as any. Eswin, you were particularly sweet.
With that said; it pains me to have to write the following. I love writing good reviews. But if I have a bad experience I usually just don't say anything at all. It's has to be pretty bad for me to write and say anything negative.
It may be knit picky but I was real annoyed that my room key did not work. At that moment, I had been up and traveling for more than 12 hours. This was further compounded by the abominable above 90 degree of heat in the hallway. (who doesn't make their entire hotel comfortable for guests??) I looked for a house phone so not to travel all the way back downstairs. The heat in the hallway had me literally perspiring by the time help arrived.
OK, moving forward.
Inside the room, was tasteful and pleasant on the eyes. But wait, where's the restroom? The design of this room is so unusual. I didn't notice a vanity or restroom coming into the room (normal), I'm standing there looking around, I go back towards the entrance, then back across the room to the other side and back. Oh, there you are. (I had been standing in front of it) It's a door... right next to my bed? Thank goodness I don't have night time bowel movements... normally... but it could happen!
Oh look, a tiny toilet too. And wow, look how low it is to the floor. The tub appeared stained or dirty because the porcelain was old, chipped and cracked. I'm gonna speed this up. I'm getting uncomfortable giving such a detailed review, so I'll do numbers from here on out.
1. Toilet, small. The water in toilet is real close to your bottom soooo... Yep I did, EWE! nuff said! Thank goodness I packed my nail brush.
2. the sink slow drains/backsup - may be drought enforcement
3. the tub, real slow drain/backs up, this is most unsanitary because you're standing in yours and someone else's scum. EWE!
4. Called in-room dining 3x, they never picked up. Called the operator, she transferred me to in-room dining... they never picked up.
5. FOOD; dried out chicken breast, not just for me, but for over 100 women attending the conference.
6. Fruit on the tart was over ripe, almost bad; and the custard was old. This one was left from another conference.
7. Cookies and brownies are frickin amazing!!
8. Breakfast buffet was average, lacked imagination and the food was bland.
9. In-room 16 oz. Aquafina for which there were 2 of, $2 each.
10. Oh did I mention; sweltering heat in the halls (I don't understand)

2  Thank ressie123
DoubletreeManagement, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Hello ressie123, I am very sorry that we failed to provide you with a comfortable experience; we did have challenges with the heatwave that hit Los Angeles last week but I can assure you that we have corrected the challenges with our machinery and expect our hotel to be maintained at a significantly more comfortable climate.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was my first trip to Los Angeles. The hotel was easy to get to and it was very convenient to the freeway. The hotel was very nice, and I heard no traffic or commotion. Very pleasant. I would stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DoubletreeManagement, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hello Joseph, Thank you for the kind words you provided us with. I am happy that you enjoyed our location and ease to our freeways. I hope you will visit us again in the future

Orlando

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Great location and easy walk to Little Tokyo, Chinatown and Olivera Street. Staff are very helpful with advice and recommendations. Nice bar with a highlight being Moe's Mojito's...best all around The rooms are very nice with all the amenities. Very quiet and a great place to get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James M
Samuel R, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us as well as others. Our team is delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! We look forward to serving you again in the near future. See you soon

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great service, beautiful room. Very clean and comfortable. The room was ready early and they allow late check out. The entire staff was very helpful with the set up for our event and provided excellent service. Thank you

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Beautiful rooms, excellent staff, comfortable beds, so close to LA Live and all the fun things LA has to offer. Staff from valet to check-in is second to none. Great food at the restaurant. Starbucks in the restaurant which is a plus! Entry and bar area are really beautiful. This is a great couples get away but also family oriented too!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I would not recommend this Doubletree. The toilet leaked in all areas and the shower didn't work properly. There was a scary incident in the restaurant involving a crazy man claiming to be the President and threatening guests. This was not taken care of in a timely manner and guests were scared!

1  Thank Darrell H

Hello Darrell, I am sorry that we failed you; we take great pride in our ability to provide our guests with a calm and tranquil enviroment. Sadly we failed you in our response time to this incident but I can assure you that our guest's safety if our main priority and we have taken this incindent and will improve.